488 - Pista Crash | Page 3 | FerrariChat

488 Pista Crash

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by FerrariFR33458, May 6, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    I am not an engineer or anything of the sort. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Assuming that there was such claimed failure (which in my opinion was more of a consequence to hitting the curb as the only clear evidence is after the not- so called "accident" ) Is it possible that it could cause the driver to lose control as such?

My take is that he may have had the TC off. He was obviously inexperienced. I think that once you hit the gas pedal and something like this occurs, you lay off the pedal. You don't continue on it. Maybe, I have more experience. I am not professional driver. I just don't know. However, I do not think that the claimed "mechanical failure" would have caused him to lose control like this. Again, this is my take

It would be interesting to see if Ferrari comes out to clean their name.

Gh21631 likes this.
  2. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    See? I am not the only one. And I know that Twosherpaz knows what he is talking about. He lives on a track.

Bas likes this.
  3. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    Look at the rear wheel position before the crash on the initial spin.

4. FordGTDriver

FordGTDriver Formula Junior

Jun 9, 2007
    Occam’s Razor;

When presented with competing hypotheses about the same prediction, one should select the solution with the fewest assumptions...(The explanation that is simplest as usually most accurate).

Hypothesis one. A critical suspension component on a virtually new car spontaneously fails just as the driver makes an aggressive move on smooth pavement.

Hypothesis Two: an (allegedly) impaired driver in a 700 hp exotic gooses the throttle and overcorrects, causing violent lateral impact with a curb before catapulting over the shoulder of the road and into the weeds.

Which is the most likely cause of the damage to the suspension?

ScottS, Spezia, Mikael-F360 and 7 others like this.
  5. For those wondering how many Pista's were made.

We now know for sure it's X numbers produced -1.

Hard video to watch as this is nearly identical to the exterior spec of my car.

GT2goneF and wthensler like this.
  6. ChipG

ChipG Formula 3

May 26, 2011
    Santa Monica, CA
    And it might have been his first time driving it, the Dutch article about him being held in Jail until the toxicology reports back said he was driving it to the DMV to register it.

GT2goneF likes this.
  7. FordGTDriver

FordGTDriver Formula Junior

Jun 9, 2007
    That works too :)

8. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    I do not know. C???

9. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    LOL. Actually minus 2. I do not know if you remember the most beautiful Atelier/TM Bianco Italia one that I posted several months ago.

10. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    I don't see how the car can do that just because a control arm failed. I've been in a 488 that partially lost its left rear wheel, and I can say that it is shockingly undramatic. Looking at the video over and over, and the pictures, there is nothing that points to any failure. But the revving and the black marks obviously tells the tale. Of course he is trying to cover himself, but I don't think it will go his way. Insurance and the police will examine everything closely, so a pretty futile attempt of twisting the facts.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Gh21631, Bas, GT2goneF and 1 other person like this.
  11. cesman

cesman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 13, 2008
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Craig
    Totally agree. The issue with ESC off on the road is there’s nowhere to go when things go wrong. At least on a track there are run off areas...

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

GT2goneF likes this.
  12. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    I have to be honest and say that some of these comments about the ESC being off have me worried. If people get behind the wheel of a Pista and think they are safe from such a crash, just because the system is in Race or Sport, no wonder people crash. The ESC does not need to be turned off for this to happen. The car was traveling straight, and when doing so in Race for instance, the system will cut very little power or apply very little traction control if you floor it. The Ferrari ESC system is very dependent on steering angle when it comes to how intrusive it is. Going straight and nailing it is not always something the ESC system can adjust to.

JackCongo, Twosherpaz and Solid State like this.
  13. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    All true. The car can jump a lane in race mode pretty easily and without much warning if you are not paying attention. However, if you are careful and experienced, you can turn off all the nannies on the road and you can eliminate the dragging of the rear brakes and keep things cool. As long as you don't pretend you are on a track things behave very well. Don't suggest doing this if you are not used to the power of the car and behavior of the gas pedal or if your tires are not excellent and warmed to temp.

JackCongo and Il Co-Pilota like this.
  14. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK

You know the Pista much better than I do, but there was this one time in the 430, when the car almost drifted to the next lane when the throttle was floored in 3rd gear. The Manettino was in Sport, and the P Zeros were cold (just pulled out of a petrol station). These cars demand respect!

Solid State and GT2goneF like this.
  15. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    All cars demand respect! Funny thing is that I see the over confidence every day on I-15 (here in CA). People driving, not just over the speed limit, but absolutely negligent, at 90+ MPH in these small cars that can barely handle the speed and forces exerted. I have cars that can handle that kind of driving and I do not push them like that in such a busy freeway. Why would anyone feel confident in these super compact and "economic" cars is beyond me.

16. john Owen

john Owen Formula Junior

Dec 27, 2018
    Full Name:
    John Owen
    In the UK there have been a few well documented instances of Pistas being written off due to over exuberance on the drivers part. Mostly this has nothing to do with adverse weather, just sheer incompetence.! Same for 812s as well although to a much lesser extent. These extreme cars should only be sold to drivers who have undertaken an advanced high speed track driving course IMO.

GT2goneF and Napoli like this.
  17. Napoli

Napoli Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    NOYB, Ray!
    Respect comes in the form of warm tires.

18. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    True, but even then throttle (and all inputs for that matter) should be applied with caution. You never know when you are going to hit a damp patch, or an oil slick, heaven forbid! A few year ago, at the annual F meeting, a 16M pulled out of the pits, went 1-2-3-4-5 gears at the rev limiter and then tried to brake hard before turn 1. The car snapped to the left, hit the wall, then turned around and hit the wall again with its tail. £50k damage just because of impatience and a bit of showboating. There was a bit of a damp patch on that braking zone...

19. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Nope, likely inexperienced driver on cold tires with TC off. These cars make a ton of torque and it is taken for granted. There should be a prerequisitive course for buying cars like this.

Thecadster and GT2goneF like this.
  20. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    Agree... Accidents may occur and that is inevitable... Idiocy on the other hand....

21. XSpeed

XSpeed Formula Junior

Jan 6, 2019
    Full Name:
    SX
    isn't it the whole purpose of ESC?

22. xBox

xBox Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2018
    The Emerald Isle
    I recall a couple of Performante incidents.... Corsa mode for the crowd pleasing sound effects, cold tyres and not even 4WD saved them.

GT2goneF likes this.
  23. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    No. It is there to assist you, not to be overly intrusive. If it did everything, there would be nothing left to do.

24. willcrook

willcrook Formula 3

Feb 3, 2009
    UK
    I only have brief experience of driving someone elses pista but I recall Chris harris in his review saying the car was almost undrivable with ESC off and the car is very much controlled by electronics

25. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Inexperienced drivers being careless or even reckless with high performance super cars, is a recipe for disaster. A properly trained driver, even when pushing the car and experiencing its capabilities, would not result in accidents where the car becomes out of control resulting in a serious accident. It is therefore imperative to receive adequate training on how to drive these cars whether on the road and especially on a track.

GT2goneF likes this.