Tow Hook Thread | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Tow Hook Thread

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Need4Spd, Jun 24, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Carnab

Carnab Rookie

Feb 14, 2010
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Carl
    Used wd40 and a jack handle for leverage on the hook. Cleaning threads out helps a bunch. Use a toothbrush or circular bristle brush. It will be smooth once a few threads link in.
    Carnab

SECRET likes this.
  2. MrJason

MrJason Rookie

Jul 23, 2020
  3. rickm360

rickm360 Rookie

Mar 12, 2017
    Calgary, Alberta and Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Rick Matthews
    An old thread but I believe the problem is not shavings in the threads but primer/paint and you just have to either chase the threads with a 16mm Tap or use the provided tow eye and lots of wd40 or something similar and progressively clean out the threads - use a 1ft. x 3/4” piece of dowel to give yourself some leverage. Full seating occurs at 21 - 22 full rotations (whether with the factory eye or the HE one) (mark one edge with a marker so you can count) - until then you ain’t “home”. Ricambi reviews all the tow eyes so you get the right one for your vehicle. The same eye is used on the 360, 430, 458 and 488 just out of interest - the M16 x 1.5.

Need4Spd likes this.
  4. Snapshift

Snapshift Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 31, 2020
    Centralia IL
    Full Name:
    Lyle D. Pahnke
    I have a 16mm x1.5 tap if anyone needs to borrow it. PM me for details. i used this to completely chase the threads clean and then protected them with anti seize and a rubber stopper. If for any reason the car becomes disabled, you are lost without a tow hook,