Ruminations of a mad car market | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Ruminations of a mad car market

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Salami, May 3, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Salami

Salami Karting

Oct 31, 2020
    Oregon
    Oh wow I wasn’t even aware of that rare California spec. Well, it will be interesting to see where we go with these. Seems the rules have been challenged in other segments so it’s anyone’s guess at this point. I bought mine with the expectation that it will appreciate, but how much or how fast is a big question. At least with an investment like this, there is enjoyment to be had while waiting on the jump!

2. Ianjoub

Ianjoub Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2019
    Homosassa, FL USA
    Full Name:
    Ian Joubert
    People are scared of what they don't know and understand. Someone who has tinkered with old American iron figures they can fix what breaks and assume the parts will be available. One with no knowledge of European brands assumes the exact opposite: they could never understand the problem, never figure out how to fix it, and if they could, just assume they would not be able to find parts for it.

That mindset SIGNIFICANTLY affects values.

bruzzifumi likes this.
  3. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    If you can accept an opinion of an outsider, the only 2 thoughts that go through my mind when a 456 is brought up are the styling is bland (not ugly (FF), not awkward (Mondial), just plain....) and the auto transmission has a horrible reputation.

I think a lot of buyers choose a California instead since they are migrating well under $100k. When the “T” gets to that point I will be in that market.

4. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Who says the automatic transmission has a horrible reputation?

HK Mondial likes this.
  5. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    It is a slight misnomer and urban legend but there were lots of people who stayed away from the car due to expensive transmission failure and limited parts. Which is dumb

6. Salami

Salami Karting

Oct 31, 2020
    Oregon
    But then I read they used GM internals and would seem to therefore be cheap and easy to repair? Depending on the failure of course. Can’t imagine a manual is very pleasant to find parts for either.

7. Mirek

Mirek Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 20, 2019
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Mirek
    Agreed, it really is annoying when people randomly repeat it as fact.
    With authority no less.

8. white out

white out Formula 3

Mar 3, 2010
    Anyone who has ever attempted at getting one smogged in California if the ECU has updated software.

Shark01 likes this.
  9. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Not being a wisenheimer, can the smog station tell if the ecu had been flashed? I assumed the smog station only connects to check for CEL and emission related parameters and then if none a clean check is provided?

unless it’s got OBD1 and or MY1999 and older then they conduct a tailpipe test?

always interested in learning.

10. white out

white out Formula 3

Mar 3, 2010
    With the updates the ECU will not have a 'ready' status because of communications with the trans. . . and there is not a fix for it.

11. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Updates of what ECU?

12. white out

white out Formula 3

Mar 3, 2010
    Actually, I don't think it was an update for the diagnosis computers (or SMOG computers), not to the ECU itself. I think the issue is if a newer Ferrari computer is connected to the ECU it triggers a fault or something in the ECU to search for transmission computer readiness, which the car doesn't have, and the code cannot be cleared. It's something that is non-reversible and a major issue for 456 autos in CA.

13. Mirek

Mirek Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 20, 2019
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Mirek
    I have a 456 auto in CA and I’ve never heard of that.

14. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Jeff- Me, either.

15. white out

white out Formula 3

Mar 3, 2010
    It's definitely a thing. I suggest speaking with your local dealer or independent prior to going in for smog check.

16. Fennicus

Fennicus Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2015
    Helsinki, Finland
    Full Name:
    Pekka T.
    Hi,

Well we call that “elegance”, no need to show off. Just look at the new Roma, I am sure it too will drop in value as it is designed for a mature taste. Maybe I can own one some day. :)

I didn’t think back in 1992 that I could ever own a 456GT but here we are, seventh year together.

And there is a market also outside the USA, I’m not saying it’s bigger, or that it’s better or anything like that, I’m just saying that it exists.

Cheers!

17. renn20

renn20 Karting

Aug 21, 2019
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    KL
    If you watch this video. You will see the new Roma carries so much design language from older elegant Ferraris (456)

Fennicus likes this.
  18. white out

white out Formula 3

Mar 3, 2010
    Wait. Did you try and flaunt your wealth by buying a 456 and become disappointed that nobody batted an eye at it?

Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. Salami

Salami Karting

Oct 31, 2020
    Oregon
    Do you have a reading comprehension problem? Or are you just mad at me because you are a little sensitive about people who put themselves in the public eye? Lol. Grow up bubs. Nobody cares about your agenda here.

20. root

root Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 28, 2012
    Bay Area, Ca
    The 456 looks pretty from every angle unlike many other 2+2 cars. Prettiest rear end in my opinion and so elegant from the front and sides. Not loud in a look at me way. Interior looks very nice and classic too. Unlike the 2+2 versions of the XKE, ZX, or R107 cars compared to their 2 seater variants that made them look a bit awkward, proportions of the 456 profile are not much different or more elongated than its 2-seater cousins the 550 or 575 proportions. For my driving style and what I'm looking for in a car the 456 would be an excellent car to have. That's why I have them, in manual version, on my radar screen.

Salami likes this.
  21. Salami

Salami Karting

Oct 31, 2020
    Oregon
    I agree, and it’s just luck how affordable they are! I mean, a bmw 8 series is around the same money and not even close as beautiful or rare, or arguably as reliable! I’m not a bmw fan really, but have always liked the 8 series. But I’m much happier having a 456 instead.
    FYI I looked up production numbers on 8 series and it looks like they made about 30,000 of them, so just about 10x as many as 456. And they sold for less than 1/2 the price when new.

22. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Apples and oranges comparison....

First let me preface by saying the 456 is my favorite Ferrari 2+2 made in the last 50-60 years. I agree it’s very underappreciated in the market for what it is.

I also have had now two E31 series (M62 840 and m73 850)

They are very very different cars in execution. E31s from factory are very plush cushy cruisers. They are very heavy as well.

That said they are far more durable + solid In construction than 456s. Early cars had some reliability issues particularly with poor upkeep or deferred maintenance. Later and sorted cars are much more reliable.

The cost of upkeep is also comparatively much much cheaper, with parts about an order of magnitude less expensive.

As for rarity, production numbers for later cars (M73 850s, S70 850CSis) are in the low hundreds... these cars particularly for well-kept examples are the ones that command any type of premium over a 456.

The 456 is a far more athletic and nimble car, particularly with minor tweaks. The 456M is an infinitely better car than the earlier iteration (although I prefer the front hood of the early car with it’s Daytona style vents) but is really held back by it’s tragic four-speed auto.

23. white out

white out Formula 3

Mar 3, 2010
    Not at all. Good luck with caring about what others think about your purchase. lol

Shark01 likes this.