FF xenon bulb change | FerrariChat

FF xenon bulb change

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by mfr456, Dec 9, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mfr456

mfr456 Karting

May 3, 2015
    Melbourne
    Dear F friends,
    I changed the xenon bulbs and very happy with the outcome as the visibility significantly improved. This is not an ordinary car so i had to take out the wheels + the front shields in the wheel bay. Same time it gave an opportunity to make some cleaning of the under surface areas.
    The new bulbs are Osram Cool Blue Intense Xenarc,the old ones were OEM Philips Xenstart.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

2. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
  3. ANOpax

ANOpax Formula 3

Jul 1, 2015
    The Netherlands
    Fantastic job and thank you for documenting it. For some strange reason I thought the headlamps were sealed units and couldn’t be upgraded.
    One of the big complaints about the FF are the poor headlamps - it looks like you’ve found a solution.

350MH83, otakki and vraa like this.
  4. msgm1

msgm1 Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2003
    NYC
    Wow that is awesome news! Crazy that you need to take of the wheels to change the headlight bulbs!

Did it make a big difference?

5. msgm1

msgm1 Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2003
    NYC
    Did you look at the
    XENARC NIGHT BREAKER LASER D1S? as a potential replacement?

6. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    Is it just plug and play? Do you need to disconnect the car's main battery, or any special procedures, before swapping them out?

7. msgm1

msgm1 Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2003
    NYC
    Does the one bulb do both high and low beam?

8. mfr456

mfr456 Karting

May 3, 2015
    Melbourne
    Yes, I did not like to drive during the nights with the old bulbs, the quality was hugely inferior to our new Mercedes with LED lighting.
    Now with the new bulbs the the visibility is significantly up, quite comparable to the Mercedes although with less definition at the edge of the light (which is the LED technology).
    IMO its a must to make the changes as it improves the driving safety without making any compromises.

9. mfr456

mfr456 Karting

May 3, 2015
    Melbourne
    Yes, its plug and play and no special procedure is needed, just do not touch the surface of the bulb during the installation.
    I disconnected to battery, which takes 5 seconds, to avoid the risk of electric shock.

otakki likes this.
  10. mfr456

mfr456 Karting

May 3, 2015
    Melbourne
    Yes, after the change you will have low and high beam, no difference versus the factory bulbs.
    Osram is first class German producer so we should expect same quality than the original ones but now better experience given that these bulbs are newer products.

vraa and Elferink like this.
  11. mfr456

mfr456 Karting

May 3, 2015
    Melbourne
    Yes, I considered the "Night Breaker" but finally i went for the "Intense Xenarc" as I wanted 6000 Kelvin color temperature and blue light colour.
    IMO it matches very well to FF's front LED daytime running lamps colour and on the top of the significantly improved visibility it gives up-to-date look for the car vs the yellowish previous bulbs. It is also important to check the specification of any new bulbs as there are non street legal versions which are designed for off road use.

12. ANOpax

ANOpax Formula 3

Jul 1, 2015
    The Netherlands
    Thanks to mfr456, I took the plunge and asked my indy to change the bulbs when the wheels were off the car for the switch to summer tyres.

This is what came out of the 2011 car - Osram rather than Phillips.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Their light output was measured before they were taken out.

These are the new bulbs which went in. Xenarc Nightbreakers. I wanted maximum light output which ruled out the über blue that mfr456 went for.

Amazingly, here’s the light reading once they were installed - more than twice the light output of the original bulbs (perhaps the originals were so poor due to age related deterioration?).

The Xenarcs’ colour temperature matches the LED daytime running lights really well too.

I’m really pleased with the result and would like to thank mfr456 without whom I wouldn’t have made the change. I also urge all other FF owners to make the upgrade. It costs peanuts (by Ferrari standards) and is well worth it.

andyrichter, 350MH83, Bundy and 4 others like this.
  13. msgm1

msgm1 Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2003
    NYC
    So your results were good? I did the swap and it wasn't good. No more light and the light pattern on the left hand bulbs screwed up....

really weird

14. ANOpax

ANOpax Formula 3

Jul 1, 2015
    The Netherlands
    That's really strange. Which bulbs did you put in?
    As you can see from the meter readings and the photo of the beam cast on the garage door, there is no problem with the light pattern and a more than doubling of light output.

15. mfr456

mfr456 Karting

May 3, 2015
    Melbourne
    I am happy that you made the change. Have safe and fun driving !

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

16. mfr456

mfr456 Karting

May 3, 2015
    Melbourne
    I am happy that you made the change. Have safe and fun driving !

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

17. 21ATS

21ATS Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2016
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Alan
    A pair of nighbreakers arrived with me today so I can do the bulb upgrade on my FF. The lights are a bit weak as they are.

Exactly how much of a nuisance is removing the wheel arch liners? Is it nothing more than half a dozen bolts and off they pop?

If it's simple I'm happy to do stuff like this myself.

18. 21ATS

21ATS Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2016
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Alan
    I've finally got around to making the switch for my new bulbs as taking off the wheels and the liners is a right ballache. However it turns out you don't need to do that at all and can access the rear of the headlights simply by removing the plastic trim either side of the engine bay.

Should have done this back in March when it was much darker in the evening!

Next night drive I'll report back if they make much difference. I'm hoping they do as I mostly drive unlit country lanes.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Attached Files:

19. sandman03456

sandman03456 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 17, 2007
    Las Vegas, NV
    Thank you for sharing. Looking forward to some feedback.

20. Bamsefar

Bamsefar Formula Junior

Nov 26, 2012
    I did this change a while back, and for sure I think it improves the light output somehow...

...but it does not solve the starting point, which is not as good light as it could or should have been.

21. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    LOL All this time we have been doing it the hard way via removing the fender and wheel, only to realize now that Ferrari and PF still do design things in a logical way.
    On the other hand, that main AGM battery's location and access...hmm

Bundy and ANOpax like this.
  22. 21ATS

21ATS Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2016
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Alan
    Funny you mention the battery, I changed that this weekend. I've got the scuffed knuckles to prove it.

15 minutes to unbolt everything, 4 hours of wiggling, straining and swearing to get the old battery out and the new one in, then 15 minutes to put everything back together!

Glad I'm not doing that again for some years.

otakki likes this.
  23. 21ATS

21ATS Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2016
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Alan
    I finally got to test these new bulbs properly last night on some familiar unlit roads. They are an imporvement, this is a mod worth doing.

There were areas where I would previously had to flick my main beams on where I now had enough light to continue with dipped beams.

Think of it as an Incremental improvement rather than a game changer, so for the low cost and relatively easy install it's worthwhile.

I chose the nightbreakers like @ANOpax

Make sure the bulb is properly seated, one of mine took four attempts to get correct. Removing the wheels and arch liners undoubtedly gives you more room to work, but its really a diminishing benefit given the extra work involved. Just go through through the engine bay like I did and take your time to get them seated correctly.

kenwidmerpool, papou and ANOpax like this.
  24. Scout123

Scout123 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2017
    I just ordered some for my 2014 FF. Will let everyone know how it turns out. Agree, the OEM lights are some of the worst I have ever experienced.

Anyone know if you can do this swap on a 458. The lights on mine suck as well, not as bad as the Ff.

25. Scout123

Scout123 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2017
    How difficult was it for you to pull out the old bulbs? I’ve been giving them a good pull and cannot seem to get it out. Look for tabs I did not see any.