355 - Intro to my new '98 355 F1 GTB | FerrariChat

355 Intro to my new '98 355 F1 GTB

Discussion in '348/355' started by Ferrarista98, May 5, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferrarista98

Ferrarista98 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 7, 2018
    Full Name:
    Jason L
    #1 Ferrarista98, May 5, 2021
    Last edited: May 5, 2021
    Intro thread for my new to me 355! Couldn't be happier adding this to the stable. I recently became enamored with '90s era cars (along with everyone else and their mother), and have been driving and modifying a 964 C2 in manual trim. Thankfully, I purchased before prices went crazy. When this 355 popped up locally, I couldn't resist. Shoutout to Matt @ 415 Motorsports for helping me make this happen!

Car is completely stock and here are the specs as delivered from the factory:
    Grigio Titanio
    Challenge Grill
    Standard Sport Seats
    F1 Transmission

Car has lived in CA the whole time, with only 2 prior owners, no accidents, records from new and a great service history. So many things about the car stand out for me, but I have to call out my top 5:
    #1 the sport seats
    #2 that curved rear window
    #3 the color combo (I am not a red or yellow car guy)
    #4 the feeling of being transported back in time everytime I look / get in / drive
    #5 the F1 transmission. I personally love it now that I've had some time with it, think it matches the engine / chassis very well, and it's a great complement to my other cars (which are all manual).

Looking forward to learning from everyone here and enjoying every second in this car.

A few obligatory pics from my first drive down Hwy 1 to Stinson Beach...

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Targatime

Targatime Formula 3

Feb 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Congrats, that is awesome. I also have a '98 F1 GTB, mine in silver. Very, very jealous of the seats.

3. Ferrarista98

Rossa Subscribed

Jan 7, 2018
    Full Name:
    Jason L
    At the end of my first drive, I pulled into the garage and noticed that the car had a radio. Coming from Porsches, I'm used to ignoring these items as they generally perform worse than a 1980s Civic. But I thought why not let's give it a go. I sat looking at this thing for 5 minutes, trying to figure out how to turn it on. Where's the "on" button? There's an "off" button... My wife then comes down to checkout the car. First thing she says is cool, it's like the radio I had in high school. She hits the "tuner" button reflexively and the radio fires right up. Of course you'd hit the "tuner" button to turn it on! o_O

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Qavion, jimmym and ShineKen like this.
  4. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    Congrats and great spec. F1 is underrated!

5. ScudMarks

ScudMarks Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 22, 2018
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Matthew Mauer
    Tarek307, INTMD8, BDM348 and 3 others like this.
  6. Ferrarista98

Rossa Subscribed

Jan 7, 2018
    Full Name:
    Jason L
    Thanks Matt, this one may be the first but won’t be the last car that passes between us! Wouldn’t hesitate to work with Matt again. The fact that he’s 20 mins from me doesn’t hurt either.

7. kenneyd

kenneyd Formula 3

Sep 30, 2014
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Hold down "SEL then hit "1" to turn that green to match all the factory colors.

Your car is almost exactly my twin. One of the best colors IMO
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Tarek307, calder1, Targatime and 2 others like this.
  8. Ferrarista98

Rossa Subscribed

Jan 7, 2018
    Full Name:
    Jason L
    Wow! What a great pic and thanks for the tip. It’s going to calm my OCD this weekend. Haha.

9. 355dreamer

355dreamer F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 3, 2006
    DC Metro
    Full Name:
    L.C.
    Wow. Beautiful spec. Enjoy it, drive it, put miles on it and don’t look back.

Ferrarista98 likes this.
  10. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Fantastic. Congratulations, and enjoy the new ride. Very happy for you.

11. ThatFlyGuy

ThatFlyGuy Karting

Jul 10, 2020
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Cy Sawyer
    Awesome example! Congrats

Sent from my SM-G981W using Tapatalk

12. Ferrarista98

Rossa Subscribed

Jan 7, 2018
    Full Name:
    Jason L
    Thanks everyone, in just the couple hundred miles of seat time, I’ve realized how easy it is to drive fast or slow and it’s been so so fun. Oddly enough, I draw less attention than I expected (which to me is a good thing).

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

13. Ferrarista98

Rossa Subscribed

Jan 7, 2018
    Full Name:
    Jason L
    Well it's been about 7 months with the car and I've been enjoying it immensely. Finally had some extra time to do a bit of work on it that I had been planning. In no particular order, I got to do:

1) Capristo Sound 1 Muffler
    2) Capristo exhaust valve with new solenoid
    3) Replaced F1 accumulator per WATSON's DIY (thank you!)
    4) Cleaned up the F1 heat shield
    5) Replaced all of my wheel inserts (some where cracked)
    6) Installed Scud Ing Swiss F1 solid state relay with status lights

Well where to begin, except WOW! The Capristo Sound 1 is amazing. I was looking for OEM+ and I think this is exactly how the car should have sounded from the factory. Crisp bark on cold start, followed by a beautiful build up to a banshee howl over 6k RPM. To those who thought the Capristo Sound 1, 2 and 3 are all the same, I certainly can't believe that to be the case. If I had ordered Sound 3 and gotten this I would have been sorely disappointed as it is not nearly as loud as the Sound 3 videos I've seen. For me, I needed OEM sound levels for my neighbors. It's the perfect Jekyl and Hyde for me and I could not be happier. Thanks to Ryan and the team at Vivid Racing for getting this to me in 2 days from Germany! Car now sounding perfect, check!

F1 tune-up: Well this was a while I was in there sort of a decision. My pump was taking what I think was longer to prime than normal and was cycling a little more frequently but I didn't really know because this is the only F1 car I've been in. Couldn't find records of an accumulator replacement in previous files, so figured why not let's do it. Thanks to Nick in the UK for getting me the accumulator and adapter right quick. Followed Watson's DIY and did key on to check for leaks. F1 light flashed 6-7 times on initial start, versus at least 14 times or more previously. The pump now runs half as long as it did before and does not cycle nearly as often while idling / stopped. I also have no error lights on the Scud Ing Swiss unit that I had before. So pleased with the results. Shifting is also butter smooth now. If I'm coming to a stop, 3 - 2 - 1 auto downshifts are nearly imperceptible whereas before there was a noticeable shift happening. Don't know if this is accumulator or F1 relay or both, but couldn't be happier and highly recommend these if you haven't done them.

Lastly, the cracked wheel inserts. So all of my rear inserts were cracked but only a couple of the front ones were also cracked. Since I bought 20 I just replaced them all. Handling is now just that bit sharper and everything feels tighter. Didn't think I'd feel a difference, and someone tell me if it's just placebo but the whole car just feels more put together than before. Placebo or not, very pleased here.

Thanks for reading this far and I'll keep updating my adventures with this amazing beast.

jeffr6 and audi_328 like this.
  14. Ferrarista98

Rossa Subscribed

Jan 7, 2018
    Full Name:
    Jason L
    and of course some pics...

Attached Files:

15. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus

Post videos of the “loud” Cap 3 equipped cars you are referring to.

Tarek307 likes this.
  16. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    It’s important to note, Cap 1, 2, and 3 on a 2.7 car is much more of a screamer and louder (when bypass open) than on a 5.2 car. Would like to see the vids you a referring to and perhaps try to determine if it’s a 2.7 or 5.2 car or not.

Also, what cats do you have? That makes a huge difference as well.

17. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
  18. jimmym

jimmym Formula 3

Sep 30, 2008
    Northeast U.S.
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Jay’s car sounded pretty nice. His exhaust had the right amount of volume.:)

19. Tarek307

Tarek307 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2018
    Long Beach, CA & Alexandria,Egypt.
    Full Name:
    Tarek Salah
    We need videos to hear that sound!

20. Ferrarista98

Rossa Subscribed

Jan 7, 2018
    Full Name:
    Jason L
    Well I have to say, humbled by all who take great driving videos. My first time today and it was a hot mess. Here is a clip using my iPhone sitting on top of the center tunnel below the radio. This is a Berlinetta, windows down about 1/3 of the way, second gear between 4 - 6k RPM for the first half and then one acceleration to 8k towards the end. Cats are stock, Capristo 1 is the only change to the suspension. I would say surprisingly, the phone did a pretty good job of capturing what it felt / sounded like in the cabin in terms of sound volume, pitch and quality.

I will find some of the videos I saw before deciding on my purchase. Could have absolutely been 2.7 cars with other exhaust mods that I'm recalling.

Attached Files:

21. Ferrarista98

Rossa Subscribed

Jan 7, 2018
    Full Name:
    Jason L
    Here's one. Description says F1 and Stage 3 but hard to know if it is F1 and hence what year. Also no idea if other exhaust mods. Experts lmk if you can tell. Sound is higher / louder / sharper and angrier than mine. Based on mine being labelled Stage 1, this being a Stage 3 is what I would have roughly expected Stage 3 to sound like.

NachosRodger likes this.
  22. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus

Considering this is a pre-airbag car, it’s a 2.7 and most likely decatted :). Not into neutral revving comparisons, but your car is fully catted. Once you de-cat, it will sound exactly like J’s car (BAT car I linked).

23. Ferrarista98

Rossa Subscribed

Jan 7, 2018
    Full Name:
    Jason L
    Super helpful, Ken, thanks for sharing your knowledge. As I’ve driven the car a few more times, the muffler has broken in and the sound is now more consistent. I’m also starting to think I will need to look at the vacuum system managing the exhaust valve. I switched to the Capristo valve at the same time I did this so default is open without vacuum. I checked and after startup the valve goes from open to closed. After driving for a while, I parked and got out of the car to check. Valve seemed to be partway between open and closed and sounded open as the idle now was noticeably louder than just after cold start. Anyone else noticed / observed this?

Think I’ll start by investigating the 2 check valves on the vacuum lines along with testing and replacing if needed the vacuum accumulator. Would welcome any additional thoughts. A vacuum pump was going to be my next tool acquisition along with possibly a smoke generator.

24. Ferrarista98

Rossa Subscribed

Jan 7, 2018
    Full Name:
    Jason L
    Took a break from the vacuum line investigation and installed some LED headlight bulbs since I’ve been driving early in the mornings and the Sylvania bulbs weren’t doing it for me. Based on another thread, chose the Hikari Acme-X 2022 bulbs, 9005 and 9006. Getting the headlight assemblies out was a bit finicky. Bulbs went in plug and play and they had no issues clearing the back even though they protrude slightly more with the fan units. Light output is night and day and I’m very pleased. No flickering with either bulb.

Easy upgrade. Now looking to do the Morimoto 90mm foglight assemblies vs just replacing those with H1 LED bulbs.

Tarek307 likes this.
  25. Ferrarista98

Rossa Subscribed

Jan 7, 2018
    Full Name:
    Jason L