488 - Pista Crash | Page 2 | FerrariChat

488 Pista Crash

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by FerrariFR33458, May 6, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gillis Haasnoot

Gillis Haasnoot Karting

Feb 4, 2020
    Leiden, Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Gillis Haasnoot
    The guy crashed not far from where I live. Last month there was hardly any rain until few days ago. Roads even dry are slippy because of tree moisture. Also the guy drove around the place like a maniac last few days. Clearly no experience and wanted to be the cool dude with esc off. Well deserved crash.

Twosherpaz likes this.
  2. axlesofevil

axlesofevil Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    #27 axlesofevil, May 7, 2021
    Last edited: May 7, 2021
    Am I the only one who's never turned ESC off on my car? I feel like the risk/reward ratio just simply isn't worth it. :p

It's like going 10/10ths at a track day. Upside is that you knock a second or two off your lap times, for laps that don't matter. Downside is you crash. Hrmmm... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

3. Pis7a2020

Pis7a2020 Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2019
    I find it unnecessary to turn off ESC on the road. Maybe at the track but race mode is sufficient most of the time.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

LARRYH, GT2goneF and Boomhauer like this.
  4. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    I’m not strongly feeling this one way or another however I will ask about the visual anomaly. Something shows on drivers left rear. Did something fail? If not what’s the camera showing?

anunakki likes this.
  5. FordGTDriver

FordGTDriver Formula Junior

Jun 9, 2007
    Hmmm...looks suspiciously like a lack of traction coupled with a delayed dose of overcorrection. I used to spend lots of time at the track, and while I was never Stroker Ace, it certainly gave me a HEALTHY dose of caution about mashing the throttle indiscriminately. Especially on cold tires. Especially in traffic.

Ironic that the harder I drove at the track, the more reserved I became on the Highway. Wouldn’t hurt for every exotic owner to test the limits on a closed circuit before they begin hooning about on the public roadway.

And why in the name of Abe Lincoln would anyone other than Chris Harris turn off ESC?

ChadR, Mikael-F360, VAF84 and 9 others like this.
  6. axlesofevil

axlesofevil Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Agreed 100%. After driving hard in a track setting pushing the limits on the street just seems so... unnecessary. Especially in something like a Pista. Its limits are so far beyond what you could ever safely achieve on the street why even bother?

7. And even Harris should not turn off traction control.

8. Spezia

Spezia Karting

Dec 15, 2019
    Full Name:
    John Weires
    Lifting off throttle and over correction is a great combination for hard to control snap oversteer.
    I agree that traction control was probably turned off. Still a shame. I've had it happen at the track fortunately with no damage.

9. Senna2394

Senna2394 Karting

Sep 12, 2020
    Full Name:
    Yousof
    Check his instagram and you will see it was not his fault. juniorstrous

10. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    I think those here with Pista experience are well aware that a Pista does not need to be in ESC off to do this. A Pista moving along at 100 kph will still light up the tyres in RACE if you floor it. No doubt that the driver lost control because he failed to think and drive within his limits, but a Pista does not need to be in CT or ESC off for this to happen.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Gh21631 likes this.
  11. SECRET

SECRET Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 19, 2007
    This is true. That said, I'm curious about this tie rod bushing defect that is being referenced. I don't see any recall or technical bulletin for one. Anyone know more?

Art138 likes this.
  12. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    Driver is saying on Instagram that his suspension broke and left wheel came off.. i do not see it in original video does anyone else? Driver posted a close up of original video showing this but his video looks altered

GT2goneF and FordGTDriver like this.
  13. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I think with zooming in and especially slowing down of the video (the latter creating ''ghosting'' of images), the shadow moving of the wheel is not conclusive to me that it's a definite part failure. I did find it particularly funny of the racing driver guy providing evidence post crash that the suspension was broken. That typically happens when mounting street kerbs at an angle at speed! I wonder who the guy that crashed it is...Racing drivers' gentleman driver teammate or sponsor?

I mean it sucks if it genuinely is part failure but I just find it funny that it happened right at that moment on a brand new car, clearly with ESC off...and as he's flooring it.

MANDALAY, Mikestradale, ChipG and 2 others like this.
  14. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    that other video the driver posted on instagram is computer altered...

watch the original video as black rubber marks are laid down all the way to the curb...that does not happen with broken axle suspension plus driver wasn't going fast yet and as soon as car swerved IF he let off throttle and braked, the car would not have kept going like it did and slammed off the road

alibo70 and GT2goneF like this.
  15. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    I think he did just enough.

16. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    I would not say well deserved crash, this could have potentially caused him or somebody else some significant injuries or even somebody's life. It is a sad event, no matter how you look at it. Luckily, he was seemingly uninjured and nobody else was hurt. That matters. Hopefully, he will learn.

I constantly think about this when I am on my GT2, which everybody knows it as a widow maker. I am pretty well experienced with it and I will never disengage the TC or SC because I know I would wear that car as a hat. Even with TC and SC on, I have had some scary moments. I thoroughly enjoy it as it is. It is not a car to unleash safely on the streets with nannies off, unless you are a very seasoned driver, particularly busy streets. Even so, I would caution against it. Like Jeremy Clarkson once said: "It's terrifying"... I think in a good way... Once you know its limits and balance point. It is fun.

Now with the F8, I also worry about it. Seems like it is a common theme in Ferrari and cocky, inexperienced drivers. A few months ago, an 812 SF driver pulled a similar stunt nd there were bicyclists in the nearby areas. Luckily nobody was injured.

You act dumb, the Cavallino Rampante will Mustang your @$$ out of the car.

ScottS and Gillis Haasnoot like this.
  17. ChipG

ChipG Formula 3

May 26, 2011
    Santa Monica, CA
    Been looking at that, I took some screen shots from the youtube video, I'll see if I can download the youtube video so I can go frame by frame

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Mikestradale and Bas like this.
  18. ChipG

ChipG Formula 3

May 26, 2011
    Santa Monica, CA
    Seriously? (joke right? :))

19. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    ChipG likes this.
  20. Mikestradale

Mikestradale F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2006
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Not a joke. This is a google translate from the dutch article posted by Bas:

“The driver was taken by the police because they suspect that the man was under the influence of drugs. Until the results of the test are available, probably tomorrow, the man will remain in prison.”

ChipG and anunakki like this.
  21. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Rumour has it he was returning from a cars n coffee (dutch flavour..);)

Mikestradale likes this.
  22. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    It was not a real Pista it was a fake built on a Ford Mustang! :p

Ferrari 308 GTB likes this.
  23. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    Very painful to watch! Summer tires with cold tires? At least no human injuries.

24. Twosherpaz

Twosherpaz Formula Junior

Feb 25, 2014
    Thermal, CA
    Full Name:
    Private
    I heard him goose the throttle a second time in the middle of his lurch left and overcorrection which was why the car then bolted right so fast.

GT2goneF likes this.
  25. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM

In the instagram video, the rear left wheel folds in. If the video is legit.....it's looks to be a mechanical failure.