A/C OIL VOLUME HELP PLEASE | FerrariChat

A/C OIL VOLUME HELP PLEASE

Discussion in '308/328' started by Rod, May 5, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rod

Rod Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2004
    South Derbyshire
    Full Name:
    Rod
    Can anyone confirm the amount of oil required in my A/C system? it has the Sandon 507 compressor fitted.. Thanks in advance..

2. Brian Harper

Brian Harper F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2006
    San Jose area
    Full Name:
    Brian Harper
  3. Rod

Rod Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2004
    South Derbyshire
    Full Name:
    Rod
    Great thanks for this, mine also is now empty as I have flushed the system and replaced a few parts... Did you top yours up from the compressor or did you add oil in points?

4. Freddie328

Freddie328 Formula Junior

Jul 29, 2013
    Herts, UK
    Full Name:
    Richard
    150cc should be fine if the system has been thoroughly flushed. If not, this may be a bit too much.
    How did you flush the system, and did you measure how much of the old oil came out of the compressor?
    There's a plug on the compressor body for adding oil.
    I wouldn't recommend charging through the suction/discharge ports.

5. Rod

Rod Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2004
    South Derbyshire
    Full Name:
    Rod
    ok Thanks for the information..... I was still on the original R12 system that has never worked.. (owned the car for 16 yrs)!! I've removed the compressor (empty), fitted a new dryer & expansion valve then flushed the pipes and condenser (full of black sludge) with a suitable A/C flush.. fitted new O rings and etc.. I just need to add the oil and get the system pressurised with the new coolant... and them see if it works!

Freddie328 likes this.
  6. Freddie328

Jul 29, 2013
    Herts, UK
    Full Name:
    Richard
    I'm still using R12 in mine. Last top up five years ago and it still runs with a clear sight glass!!
    Was the compressor empty of oil before you removed it?

7. Rod

Rod Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2004
    South Derbyshire
    Full Name:
    Rod
    It could of been empty yes?

8. Freddie328

Jul 29, 2013
    Herts, UK
    Full Name:
    Richard
    If you haven't already done so, remove the oil filling plug and turn the compressor upside down to check. If it really is completely empty there must be a lot of oil around the system, or lost due to gas leaks. In this case add 180cc of oil. To be completely sure the oil level is ok your supposed to recheck by checking oil level after the system has run for half an hour. But this is a real pain as it means removing the compressor again.
    Hopefully the bearings aren't damaged....
    I know a source of Sanden compressor replacements, at reasonable prices, if it is shot.

Rod likes this.
  9. Brian Harper

Brian Harper F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2006
    San Jose area
    Full Name:
    Brian Harper
    I'm confused. How exactly are you proposing to check the oil? Remove the compressor and remove the plug, dump the oil out, measure it and put it back in?

On a Sanden-type compressor the oil is running in the refrigerant, it doesn't stay in the compressor. That's why the Sanden manual linked above gives oil as a percentage of the charge added to the system.

10. Freddie328

Jul 29, 2013
    Herts, UK
    Full Name:
    Richard
    That's exactly as recommended by Sanden after major work. In some systems the oil plug/level check is at the top of the compressor and the compressor has rotalocks for isolating the compressor from the rest of the system, so checking becomes easier, but regrettably not with 328s.
    Not all the oil flows around the system, otherwise the bearings seize. When they totally run out of oil in the compressor sump they will start to sound like a bag of nails.

11. Brian Harper

Brian Harper F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2006
    San Jose area
    Full Name:
    Brian Harper
    So remove the compressor, dump out the oil, and measure it. You will find it low because most of it is flowing through the system, right? So then add the full 180cc to the compressor, re-install, and recharge? I think if you did this annually you would have a system with far too much oil. What part am I missing?

12. Freddie328

Jul 29, 2013
    Herts, UK
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Not quite.
    The amount that should come out is shown in the Sanden repair manual that you posted a link too (page 11). Add or remove from the amount you took out to achieve this figure. This only needs doing after major work on the system.
    As following this procedure is a pita, 180 cc should suffice for a clean and thoroughly flushed system, starting with no oil in the compressor. If the system hasn't been flushed, but has had a major component change (evaporator/condenser/ compressor/pipes that run from front to back) or multiple gas leaks, it is worth following this procedure.

Rod likes this.
  13. Brian Harper

Brian Harper F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2006
    San Jose area
    Full Name:
    Brian Harper
    For passenger cars that document says to add 135cc and be done with it. Removing oil and measuring is for dual evaporator long hose systems. He has a newly flushed system and I don't think a 3X8 will fall into the >56oz of refrigerant category.

14. Rod

Rod Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2004
    South Derbyshire
    Full Name:
    Rod
    Yes fully flushed all pipes, condenser also fully flushed... fitting new dryer, expansion valve and O rings... Will add 135cc and see how it goes from there...

Thanks both for your help... much appreciated..

15. Freddie328

Jul 29, 2013
    Herts, UK
    Full Name:
    Richard
    This guys got it pretty much spot on to cover all types of passenger cars, and will mean its not necessary to check the level by the Sanden method (unless the system hasn't been flushed). The 328 has relatively long lines due to the compressor location, which also increases the gas charge beyond what would be seen in most front engine vehicles, so the 6oz (177.5cc) gives a reasonable safety factor and allows for a bit of loss in the event of a gas leak.

Rod likes this.
  16. Rod

Rod Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2004
    South Derbyshire
    Full Name:
    Rod
    Thanks for sharing... really good bit of information.... My system is now all back together, just need to add the oil and get the system charged...

17. Freddie328

Jul 29, 2013
    Herts, UK
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Great, thanks.
    How did you get on with your gearbox woes?
    The X ring shift shaft seals have been in mine for over a year now and still no leaks....

18. Rod

Rod Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2004
    South Derbyshire
    Full Name:
    Rod
    Nearly there... engine back in and just now need to add fluids and get it started..... hence I have refurbished the a/c system at the same time! (as well as a complete rebuild of the suspension etc..

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Freddie328 likes this.
  19. craiggo

craiggo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2012
    Redwood City
    Full Name:
    Craig
    FWIW, i just replaced the compressor in my 328 (again) and I filled it with HFC-152a instead of R12/R134. So far it's works at least as well as the r12 I had in it before. Worth considering.

Rod likes this.