Maserati MC20 | Page 14 | FerrariChat

Maserati MC20

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by TheMayor, Jul 1, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rockminster

rockminster Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2003
    Lake Tahoe
    I don’t know that more allocations have been provided to the US dealers. My dealer had three allocations back in Sep ‘20 when the car debuted and they still have those same three.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. AMLC

AMLC Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2009
    #327 AMLC, Apr 30, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2021
    There are a lot of videos about the Alfa Romeos on Youtube, like for instance the one below. No English voice over, just Italian, nice (even if you, like me, don’t understand everything that’s said :)).

I have not read a lot about the MC20, I’m more interested in the classic Maseratis, but I get the impression that the approach is a lot like what Alfa did with the 4C (and with for instance the Montreal in the seventies). They don’t build a lot of them, the volume is in the sedans (and now also in the SUVs). But I don’t see why that would make the MC20 less interesting. I like the way it looks, like a smaller version of the MC12.

With an MC20 in your garage, and for instance a well-equipped Giulia, Stelvio or Ghibli III GranSport parked next to it, I think not many car enthusiasts would complain.

Nembo1777 likes this.
  3. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    as of 2 weeks ago Emilia Romanga was still a Red Zone which pretty much shuts down everything.

Smiles likes this.
  4. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

I dunno ... no big reason to leave BMW except if you're bored.

Whereas the MC20 is more like the BMW M1 only I expect that it's much better as an everyday car.
    BMW doesn't really have one of those anymore.

Will that make 4DR performance sedan drivers switch?

5. rockminster

Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2003
    Lake Tahoe
    I had an Alfa Giulia Quad and loved it - such a fun car with so much personality. One thing I didn’t like on the Alfa was the brake by wire system. Very difficult to be smooth with them at slow speeds. The MC20 is a brake by wire car as well - I hope the modulation feel has been sorted by the time the MC20 is produced.

Dai Baracca likes this.
  6. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    I see a few Ghibli's running around my town. The one you posted is much better looking. The ones I see blend in just like any other sedan.

The Granturismo is absolutely stunning design I think. But the tech and performance have languished way too long. 13-14 years with essentially the same platform with a few cosmetic changes is a lifetime and a half in the car industry. But I think a smaller company like Maserati probably has trouble making more substantive changes.

I like the look of the MC-20 but the sound is a let down to me.

7. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    The Granturismo is a classic now and yes Maserati cannot be nearly as competitive as the big guys unless they focus all the effort on one model like the MC-20 but that too will fall behind as they are forced to focus on the volume products. The sound issue is curious. The current round of street cars are known for their good sound. The Ghibli and Levante manage to get a good engine sound from their turbo engines.

It's funny ... while some on here are pounding away about how everything will be electric sooner than we may think, now that the weather has been improving the drag strips that line the Hudson river on both sides here are singing once again with the sounds of high performance ICE cars. There are a lot of them here. Plenty of Teslas too but they're being used more like electric golf carts by people who typically have no real interest in automobiles. The ICE is still very popular.

71Satisfaction likes this.
  8. rockminster

Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2003
    Lake Tahoe
    Agree that the sound is a concern given what I’ve heard thus far. Curious to learn if the US cars will be better as they won’t have to be equipped with OPF. Will there be enough MC20s built and will there be enough demand for the aftermarket exhaust companies to develop exhaust systems for the MC20?

9. boralogist

boralogist Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2005
    I am not a betting man!
    However---I am willing to wager my net worth that you will have a plethora of alternatives to choose from;)

Nembo1777 likes this.
  10. Jdubbya

Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    Well I am admittedly biased but the Granturismo S with mid resonator delete and stock exhaust is one of the best sounding cars I've ever heard. I'm constantly amazed at how good it sounds. I haven't heard a Ghibli that come anywhere close.

Smiles likes this.
  11. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Agreed.

The MC20 looks amazing. If it can’t be made to sound like a burly Granturismo then I’m not interested.

One alternative is a Glickenhaus 004, which I know I can make sound fantastic.

Matt

12. Jdubbya

Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    Well I have to say I'm not in the market for an MC20, out of my budget. I do really like the design of it though, very good looking car!!

13. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    You won’t get the sound out of an MC20 like that of a GranTurismo or even the V6 Ghibli. It really comes down the engine design. A 90 degree V6 (the common angle for a V8) will always sound different from a 60 degree V6 its common angle.

AtSomePoint likes this.
  14. Merak1974

Merak1974 Formula 3

Aug 31, 2009
    Oslo, Norway
    Full Name:
    Gabriel R.G. Benito
    Sure, but that doesn't mean that 90 degree V6s cannot sound great. In fact, Maserati has made many, not just the Merak with its tipo 114 engine, but also the entire biturbo range and its derivatives such as the Ghibli II.

F2003-GA and boralogist like this.
  15. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Go for it. It probably won't be anywhere near as sophisticated in terms of the creature comforts and NVH and then there's the fact that you're quite a ways from Danbury.
    But I'd guess you're more than able to have it shuttled there for repairs and or regular service. OTOH there are some very capable car guys in the Pittsburgh area.
    To me it's sort of like buying a Vector that actually works and works well.

Smiles likes this.
  16. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    #341 staatsof, May 3, 2021
    Last edited: May 3, 2021
    I'm a fan but those sang more than they bellowed or growled. Still enjoyable. My GOC which is straight through exhaust from the backs of the turbos is fairly quiet on a race track when compared with a F355 Challenge and it's easily a match for that performance wise. It does sound better than a stock 360 and is also a match for those. Not the Challenge 360 though. Not bad for a 2.0L V6. But I think people want something sounding more substantial in an exotic car like this ... cept for the electric weenies! LOL ;) :p

17. rockminster

Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2003
    Lake Tahoe
    FWIW, Novitec has a “coming soon” section on their website for the MC20. Doesn’t say which products will be offered.

18. maha

maha F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2014
    dinajpur, bangladesh
    Full Name:
    mahmud
  19. Merak1974

Merak1974 Formula 3

Aug 31, 2009
    Oslo, Norway
    Full Name:
    Gabriel R.G. Benito
    Great videos. Thanks for posting. Those guys are really truly totally in love with the car.

Nembo1777 likes this.
  20. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    The only thing I understood was "cool down lap" ... :p

21. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
  22. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    The more I look at the MC20 the more it reminds me of the Bora. Not that they look similar other some styling cues. Like the Bora, the MC20 is a clean elegant design that doesn’t have overt styling shouting “Look At Me” like it’s contemporaries. It’s fast but not the fastest just like the Bora, it just goes about its business of getting its occupants quickly from point A to point B in style and comfort.

23. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!

This must be some sort of Maserati-family coincidence because this sounds an just like a decatted euro Merak SS I had years ago, only on steroids. Outstanding job Maser, I approve.

Merak1974 likes this.
  24. Froggie

Froggie Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2017
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Serge
    Pity that the glorious sound of their V8 is now a story of the past...

johnei, Pawilly and 71Satisfaction like this.
  25. boralogist

boralogist Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2005
    Why all this pessimism?
    Compare apples to apples!
    Have you heard what the MC20 Corsa sounds like?