NEW MODEL KIT THREAD | Page 163 | FerrariChat

NEW MODEL KIT THREAD

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by F1tommy, Jan 3, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. siemensmotors

siemensmotors Rookie

Oct 30, 2017
    hello guys,

i’d like to find some model builder to build some curbside 1/12 kits for me (ie mfh ferrari 250tr58 or profil24 ferrari 250 lm) with some upgrades. what do you think is the average price for such work?

thank you

2. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    PM sent.

3. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    Ebbro Tyrrell 005 in 1/20th scale. Also Hasegawa is reissuing their 1/24th FW14 kit. I think if you like 1/24th scale F1 you should look into the new 1/24th Hachette F1 series just starting up in Italy. They are only available on ebay unless you live in Italy.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
  5. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    Nice photo section on the Hiro website. This link shows several 1/12th scale Ferrari models. Other than the wheels not being painted like on the real car this 250LM looks extremely nice. You won't see this quality on the diecast side as they always do things on diecasts to make production easier.

1/12scale Fulldetail Kit : Ferrari 250LM : MFH photo blog (exblog.jp)

6. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
  7. furmano

furmano Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    The T33 is a good choice. A street Ferrari 1/12 kit would be good, not sure if Hiro can make Ferrari models anymore. A Schumacher era F1 car would be nice. They keep going back to the 312T, why not crank out an F-2004? Maybe a 1/12 of the 599 GTO, IDK.

8. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
  9. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    RemcoB and gt4me like this.
  10. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
  11. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck

Well, I just received one of these 1:12th Meng GT40 kits the other day. Just took a quick look through and it's mediocre at best. As you've noted the nose is completely wrong, also other various shapes & details are not correct, etc. Disappointing.

F1tommy likes this.
  12. Graphic-mini

Graphic-mini Rookie

Dec 13, 2016
    La Rochelle, France
    Full Name:
    Guillaume Phelipon
    What do you think about the 33 Stradale from MFH in 1/12, i'm thinking to buy it but i d'ont want to be disappointed regarding the price of the kit... I already have the 1/24 from MFH, the 1/12 will complete it ;)

13. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    I never bought the Hiro as I have a pretty good resin pre made model of the production version. If they do the 4 headlight prototype I will buy it in 1/12th.

Here is the next May 2021 1/12th Hiro model. It seems to be British due to the green lettering clue. I was thinking an Aston Martin?? Anyone here have any ideas. I wish it was a DBR1 but I don't think so. It looks like they cut the photo up to trick us!!! Late 1950's British tube frame?? Vanwall VW1 cut up in the photo?

14. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    Not VW1... Looks more like a cut up photo of a sports prototype racecar, not F1.

15. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    Reminds me of a TVR frame!

16. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    Well it's British. I think it's an Aston Martin DBR1/2 in 1/12th scale. I would rather have the regular body but they all love Lemans so much they will probably do the 1959 Lemans winner aero body.

On a side note, I am sure Patrick will not mind mention that he and Patrice are working on another 1/12th kit. No idea what car but I am sure it will be something most on this forum will like.

Lusso123 likes this.
  17. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    If they do an Aston Martin DBR1 of any type I really hope they get it right. Every single model & kit manufacturer so far has missed and gotten so much wrong. Time will tell..

18. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I just dont get the Hiro kits.... I've built 2 of them, both never fit properly and you have to almost reengineer the kit to work. The 917 K I built just does not look right the body is too short. I also bought some of the Pauls Model Art 1/12 917's and they look fantastic - when you put it up to the Hiro - you can see the sizing issues. if the Hiro kit was $300.. I'd say ok,. I get it. At $900 its a rip off. also my kit came with missing number roundels - try to contact Hiro... good luck. I get that I'm just not the craftsman who love to redo all the metal parts etc.... the kits have lots of detail, but some of it is just really badly done. the release agent they use is next to impossible to get of using regular soap... so you have to be really gentile with acetone ... which will eat the resin as well, if you don't mix the proportion just right. once you get them clean you can get a fantastic paint job but wow, its a lot of work for a very average model result.

the 917 engine was a dream to put together, the front chassis great. the engine cradle and suspension - horrible, very poor fit, poor castings, terrible directions, you literally are on your own to get a good fit. then trying to get the body parts to fit - horrible experience, the gaps, and fitment... drive you crazy. i don't think building the real car takes as long.

Rosey likes this.
  19. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    Wow, this all sounds pretty bad, and I agree about the price vs. quality, etc. I have one these MFH 917K kits, but am really not sure I want to tackle all the problems, which I know I can handle, but not sure I want to deal with them. For me one of the really big issues is accuracy... so I have to ask you about the dimensions... I haven't done anything to compare the kit and body, etc to dimensions of a real 917K. Is the body definitely too short? Not in comparison to another model, but actual correct scaled dimensions? Thanks in advance for any reply on this.

20. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I don't know compared to the actual car. I can only compare - Visually to other models. the Hiro model seems too long wheel base ( I said too short but was wrong when I looked at them both) it also seems too tall compared to the other models... I think on its own it will look ok, but getting the stance and all the suspension settings right is difficult.

21. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    I don't have the Hiro 917 in 1/12th scale but from pictures it looks better than the PMA . The fit issues I hear about on all their kits. I wish they would do more curbside as I don't have enough time to do every kit in full detail, and that would also reduce body fit problems.

22. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck

Thank you Tom.

23. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    Yes I agree. The 917 is great as curb side model I guess you could build it that way. The engine and gear box weighs like a pound. the bulkhead is resin, and the engine cradle is pot metal - there is absolutely no rigidity, and infact when you get the kit, all the metal parts are so bent and deformed you spend 25% of the time just getting the metal parts strait, plum, and flat. I use a thick wooden cutting board and a wooden rolling pin to roll over the flat parts so that there is equal pressure on all sides to get them flat. then once you assemble it, getting it square is an entirely different proposition. mostly because the resin mounting points are not square... so you end up having the heat up and bend the metal to get a semblance of engine mounts. you cant see it in the picture but it was a complete disaster.

ontop of the fact the resin cockpit is barely strong enough to counter the weight of the engine ... to me someone is just not thinking right. make it all in resin or in metal, or at least provide a strong chassis... that is my beef. again for $300 - it may be ok... but at $900 US... its bs. the other model I did was the Ferrari F-1 87 - great car, super detail and overall it was ok..... BUT when you fit the engine cover - there are huge gaps, so either you have to modify the intake and pop off valve etc.. its just plain wong. it should fit. also I did not test fit the wheels to the hubs.. so when I went to put them on... they would not fit, the hubs were cross threaded... ugggg! very unhappy with that. the suspension mounting points are super weak as well... and the wheel hub package are very heavy.. again nobody was thinking.

24. G.C.Singhof

G.C.Singhof Karting

Mar 2, 2005
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Wolfgang Singhof

For the release agent :
    I´d suggest not acetone but to try "silicon remover" (just can translate word by word from german "Silikon Entferner"). The "silicon remover" I know is much milder than acetone. And should be available at any hardware store.
    Another idea might be pure (99%) isopropanol / isopropy alcohol.But did not try yet for release agent.
    Both trying first by soaking a scrap of where the parts ar cast on for a day. If it survives without harm it should be safe for any wiping or brushing.

Wolfgang

25. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    Lusso123 likes this.