A nice wrench for the large oil line on the Testarossa | FerrariChat

A nice wrench for the large oil line on the Testarossa

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by versamil, May 5, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. versamil

versamil Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2013
    Gaston, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Brian Healy
    I just bought a Armstrong 12-851 1/2" Drive Flare Nut Crowfoot Wrench 1-13/16" USA from an ebay seller- Cripe Distributing. What a great tool to remove the large oil line at the front of the engine when doing the service on these. 1- 13/16ths is one thousandths of an inch different than the metric dimension of this giant nut.
    Now I HAVE a 1-13/16ths wrench and it does work, but it's a giant wrench, that most people don't have.

Danaher Tools has closed down Armstrong tools, that have been in business for at least a 100 years. These crowsfeet wrenches are for sale for twenty dollars- super cheap for what they are. I think there's NINE left.I just received mine today, with a mountain of other tools- it's really a nice tool- made in America. I'm sure a few people have had a tough time removing the oil line that's in the front of the engines, This tool makes it easy. Just copy my description and the tool will show up on ebay. No relation or association with the seller- just surprised such a nice tool was available so cheap.

raysur and Supernaut like this.
  2. teveo

teveo Formula Junior

Oct 1, 2005
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Trond Vidar
    Thanks for the tip, I secured one. I see you can find these around $50 online and this was "half price".
    Sometimes hydraulic lines have SAE threads/size even on European cars. I used an adjustable spanner on my Testarossa so I could not say.

I guess they are all metric now but back in the day you could find that you needed SAE wrenches on brake, AC and other hydraulic/fluid lines. This was often solved with an adjustable spanner, well at least until I got my first old British car and had to invest in tools. Nothing like a new quality tool! :)

3. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    photo please

4. teveo

teveo Formula Junior

Oct 1, 2005
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Trond Vidar
    turbo-joe likes this.
  5. Veedub00

Veedub00 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2006
    Troy, Michigan
    Full Name:
    James
  6. versamil

versamil Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2013
    Gaston, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Brian Healy
    The wrench pictured above is the wrench I was referring to.(NOT the pipe wrench). Unlike the typical crows foot wrench, this wrench allows multiple positions to get at the big nut, just using a half inch drive bar. It REALLY is a beautifully finished tool. It's tragic another American tool manufacturer, has been shut down by a company owned by venture capitalists- Bain Capital- Mitt Romneys deal. Tools like this will be available in the future, but NOT for twenty bucks! get one while you can. Getting that big oil line off, might be one of the biggest obstacles for some people doing their own engine outs.

7. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    in metric it is 46 mm, an usual size

8. Supernaut

Supernaut Karting

Dec 3, 2019
    Annapolis MD
    Full Name:
    John Panek
    Purchased, thank you for the tip!

9. campbell360

campbell360 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2009
    Michiana
    Full Name:
    Doug
    Got one as well. 3 left. Thanks for the info.

10. jgmblair

jgmblair Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2010
    Winnipeg, MB Canada
    Full Name:
    Jeff Blair
  11. EDoug

EDoug Karting

Apr 19, 2005
    Southern Florida
    Thank you for the heads up, purchased the last one. EDoug