430 Headers: What was your solution? | FerrariChat

430 Headers: What was your solution?

Discussion in '360/430' started by SlickMurphy, May 6, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SlickMurphy

SlickMurphy Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2004
    Essex
    Full Name:
    David
    I just picked up a 2007 F430 Spider with 7k miles that carries it's original Mk1 headers.

After reading through the forums I've settled on a few options for my car while keeping the original cats.

1. Wrapped Capristo Headers with stock exhaust.
    2. Wrapped Capristo Headers with stock exhaust and remote exhaust valve controller.
    3. Wrapped Capristo Headers with Twin Sound Capristo Exhaust (might be too much on convertible).
    4. Monitor the integrity of headers and do nothing since the car will only get 500-700 miles per year of driving.

Any thoughts?

David

2. StevieBob

StevieBob Rookie

Aug 7, 2019
    Full Name:
    Stevie Bob
    My 2007 F430 is also on its original Mk1 headers at 18k. There is no sign of any issue and despite the online horror stories any potential issue will appear ‘gently’ giving you plenty of time to replace before anything catastrophic happens. Any annual service will pick up warning signs so save yer money!

3. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    i wld def do the capristo headers and then id do cap hiflow cats and live with it...i have run that for a few years and it sounds awesome. i am going to a kline muffler soon. dont like the factory sport exhaust

4. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Alternative is to remove the oem brackets and fit the capristo expansion brackets, that will remove the expansion stress on the manifolds. That is your cheapest option.
    I have the capristo manifolds with insulation and the non valve exhaust box and tail pipes

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  5. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Not exactly. Plenty if owners have reported vibration issues with the brackets.

6. CarAholic

CarAholic Formula Junior

May 10, 2016
    I did titanium wrapped top speed headers four years ago. Twenty thousand miles later they are still in great shape.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

one4torque likes this.
  7. dweintra

dweintra Karting

Aug 16, 2012
    Seattle, WA and Miami, FL
    Full Name:
    Don Weintraub
    My 2007 also has the original headers and no issues whatsoever anytime they are checked. Love the stock sound as well! About 18k miles

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  8. Snapshift

Snapshift Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 31, 2020
    Centralia IL
    Full Name:
    Lyle D. Pahnke
    You are going to get as many opinions as there are Ferraris on this board. What are your emission testing standards where you live? That may be a deciding factor. My F430 has topspeed 4-1 headers and blankets, small O2 cat sensors (No CELS) stock cats, and stock ferrari muffler and original mounts. Still good after 20K miles but no emissions testing where I live. It's plenty loud when desired but tolerable on highway driving that I am able to hear the redio

9. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    I also just ordered a set a challenge headers from euro spares which I may put on my other 430

Cannot beat the price of the challenge headers… Not even close

10. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    They dont vibrate if you get the spring tension set properly

11. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    My 430 spider had mk2 OEM headers under warranty by previous owner in 2009, as part of the campaign. They have been on since then, I have owned it since 2015, no issues to date.

12. VAF84

VAF84 Formula 3

I'd go with option 2. I'm currently doing Fabspeed headers, with blankets, disconnected vacuum hoses; everything else stock. Just the right sound for me, but if I wanted to splurge I'd get the remote for the valves. I had a Capristo on my Cayman S and loved the sound. The remote didn't come in handy then because I always kept it open, but it would now since I'm in a neighborhood and don't want attention from the neighbors.

13. CoreyNJ

CoreyNJ Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 17, 2006
    New Jersey Shore
    I have an 09 with MKII headers, Kline valvetronic exhaust and Fabspeed brackets. I also have the Kline inconel button to control the noise which is awesome since I can leave the house in Prius mode and the moment I hit the main road I open the valves.

Got a great deal on a set of Agency Power headers and I just got a notice from Jet-Hot that they are on their way back from being ceramic coated with a chrome look finish. I don’t plan on installing these just yet. I will wait to see if I get any ticking or leaks before I do. I really bought them as insurance against the EPA cracking down on header sales in the future since they started looking at aftermarket tuners for enforcement this past few months.

FYI. My mechanic said the internal cats are fine unless you drive the car with the slowdown notice. Then the “backfiring” that can happen will damage the cats and you may need to worry about sucking in cat material in the future. He said the MK-I manifolds were not very heavy duty but the aftermarket and MK-II are much stronger. He did warn me if I ever get a slowdown light. Pull over and call for a truck. Don’t risk driving it.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

14. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    Challenge headers, deleted lower rear brackets, O2 extenders to rid the CEL.

one4torque and SlickMurphy like this.
  15. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

I've been running without any bracket for 10,000+ kms. no problems.

16. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    I think a lot of the manifold damage is done by big revs in low gears, the manifolds get that hot with no cooling in the engine bay, just look at how closed in the engine bay is. Only 2 slots in the floor for ventilation and i dont think they do much at low speed and high revs.

17. Penzinger

Penzinger Karting

Jul 13, 2019
    Austria
    Full Name:
    Heinz
    The exhaust manifolds tear, the hangers break and the mufflers spread a white powder in the engine compartment, making it look like a Colombian drug lab. All in all a bad design.

18. Zia

Zia Rookie

Sep 6, 2020
    My f430 2007 spider was just up dated with fabspeed header and blankets with tubi exhaust. I did do a small modification for the vacuum cut outs. Instead of leaving hoses disconnected. I place an stainless steel valve that can be open to activate the valves or left close to not activate and have better all around sound. Takes 10 seconds to flip them and open engine lid. I did the install my self and no warning lights. Zia

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

19. Snapshift

Snapshift Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 31, 2020
    Centralia IL
    Full Name:
    Lyle D. Pahnke

20. Snapshift

Snapshift Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 31, 2020
    Centralia IL
    Full Name:
    Lyle D. Pahnke
    Whoops, I have FabSpeed headers, not topspeed lol. All the sound I need with original hanger spring mounts.

21. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
  22. CoreyNJ

CoreyNJ Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 17, 2006
    New Jersey Shore
    kes7u and SAFE4NOW like this.
  23. ttforcefed