212 Pinin Farina 0229EL | Page 2 | FerrariChat

212 Pinin Farina 0229EL

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by The Red Baron, Sep 26, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Veeeeeeery pretty little car, wow.

2. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    engine type?
    and how would something like that drive? slow and cumbersome?

3. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    While I haven’t been fortunate to drive any exotic sports cars of that era, I’d imagine this would handle & perform as good or better than any of its ilk from same period, just like SWBs, Daytonas or 288 GTOs when they were and yet by todays standards would likely be considered “slow and cumbersome” by most when comparing any of them to latest and greatest super or hyper cars.

I’d absolutely love to take this or something like it for an extended (few day, several hundred + mile) road trip vacation it was designed and intended for.

4. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Engine type is 212.
    Driving? Like a truck. And expect no brakes.

Marcel Massini

turbo-joe, wbaeumer and Rifledriver like this.
  5. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    #30 TTR, May 6, 2021
    Last edited: May 6, 2021
    Compared to other GT cars of same period or just trucks ?

I have driven several hundred thousand miles with dozens of 50 to 100 years old cars (& trucks) and will never try to compare them to anything other than similar vehicles of same era.

I’d imagine someone comparing brakes, handling or performance of any 250 GT (incl. O) to some late model sports coupe or sedan of any make will probably find formers feeling like a truck.

6. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Not compared to other GT cars of same period.
    Just generally.

Marcel Massini

TTR and wbaeumer like this.
  7. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    In period if you wanted handling/great chassis Maserati or Lancia were better known for that.

Ferrari chassis development was more Victorian.

lgs, TTR and Marcel Massini like this.
  8. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Not 100% correct as the Maserati GT-cars of the 1950s were also a little truck-like. Only Lancia was superior! They were always much advanced in their time.
    We have to understand that the design of the ladder-frame of the Ferrari (and Maserati) was more or less prewar. Technical development of these companies went mostly into their engines to get them stronger and faster. They ignored chassis development (with the 1950s race cars Maserati had always the better chassis - but Ferrari had the more powerful engine!). The first Ferrari that was a great driving machine was the 250GT SWB.

turbo-joe and TTR like this.
  9. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I know the basic manner of construction was the same in the Ferrari and Maserati GT cars but in my opinion from having driven and worked on them the Maserati was still superior. They had a better understanding of suspension. Looked similar but geometries, spring rates etc made them work better. The Maserati race cars of the period had very sophisticated chassis. Agree on the Lancias. I have owned them and worked on several. Fabulous cars. Under powered but jewel like motors. Made good use of the DeDion rear suspension. Very good handling. In addition to the SWB the SWB Cal spider I thought was fun to drive as well.

lgs, 375+ and TTR like this.
  10. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    with a ferrari you may accelerate, not brake :)

11. ERA

ERA Karting

Dec 21, 2015
    As for 212 Ferraris, I would make a difference between the Inter and Export ones, the later being true drivers cars.

Before the SWB, I actually consider a 225S, a 250TDF, 375MM, 410S etc... and most 4 cylinder barchettas as fantastic driving machines.
    But I am biased, my daily car has for long been a XK120 Jaguar and one of my best souvenirs is Tour Auto in a 250 TdF.
    So I like trucks & I don't mind struggling a bit to change gear.
    The noise, the fumes and drum brakes are part of the journey as well.
    Having to "fight" with the car and to concentrate is very rewarding as far as I am concerned.

The Red Baron, TTR and 375+ like this.
  12. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    Both Tipo 539 or 539/61 chassis.