458 - 458 Challenge Headers on 458 Italia / Spider | FerrariChat

458 458 Challenge Headers on 458 Italia / Spider

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Tony Baunach, May 4, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Tony Baunach

Tony Baunach Karting
    BANNED Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2007
    All around the world
    Hi there,

anybody knows by chance if the challenge headers are direct bolt on onto a stock 458 engine (one side) and the cats (other side?)

I guess these have been made by tubi (as many Challenge systems?) and are a better material (Titanium/Inconel?) since they leave out the strengthening connections between the outlets compared to stock ones (see pic 1)

Although the stock sealing and stock headers have this area where i guess additional air is blown into the exhaust headers to burn left over fuel? (See pic 2)

I assume will need an engine ecu tune when leaving that feature out on a Italia :)
    Anyways thinking about putting 200 cells behind it and an aftermarket backbox (Akrapovic) so an overall tune won't be a bad decision i guess.
    Any thoughts or any explorers here already :)?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Depreciating Asset

Depreciating Asset Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2019
    Cary, NC
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Just looking at them, I’m pretty sure they’d bolt up to the heads with no problem, but the connector to the cat pipe looks shorter. If that’s the case, you’re going to have a problem mating up any off the shelf Italia pipes to that. You might have to have a cat pipe custom made. I would think headers made for an Italia would be much less headache.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

3. FFan5

FFan5 Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2018
    Kline makes Inconel headers that bolt right up.

4. Tony Baunach

Tony Baunach Karting

Mar 20, 2007
    All around the world
    Good point but can't i just take off the flex part from an Italia header? and attach it back to the challenge one?
    Seems like then there's only two differences left (see Italia headers attached):
    1. different heat protection (professional racing coating on the challenge one)
    2. those milled surfaces matching the different sealings... since there s a plug on one side of the header seems like air is blow in? sorry not an expert :)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. Depreciating Asset

Depreciating Asset Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2019
    Cary, NC
    Full Name:
    Randy
    That might work. One way to find out!

6. Llenroc

Llenroc F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Vern
    The challenge header doesn’t have the ports for the air injection. Look at the picture of the regular 458 header than look at the challenge header, different flange. The challenge heads do not have the casting for the air injection. If you look at the first picture the gasket shown is for the regular 458 then look at the challenge header flanges. Those areas/holes on the gasket above the exhaust ports, those are for the air injection. The challenge header will not adapt to the regular 458 head completely different head caastings.

daflk and Depreciating Asset like this.
  7. Tony Baunach

Tony Baunach Karting

Mar 20, 2007
    All around the world
    Hm yes realized that but thought maybe the connection points are same there ll be just a bit surface sticking out on the Italia cylinder heads... doesn't matter as long as the sealing is sealing it... not sure what the extra air injection does?
    But yes probably should just stick to other aftermarket headers for the Italia :D or is anybody else crazy enough to give it a try ;)

8. Llenroc

Llenroc F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Vern
    Without going into any further explanation/details then what was said above, take my word for it they will not work. :)

9. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    That stock header looks pretty nice! Why the change?

You'll get a lot more bang for your buck just changing the cats and exhaust. Unless you're also modifying the intake system, I think the stock headers probably have plenty of flow. I'd slap a test pipe in long before changing out headers.

Ray