Enclosed trailer for a Testarossa | FerrariChat

Enclosed trailer for a Testarossa

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by blown daytona, May 5, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. blown daytona

blown daytona Formula 3

Feb 6, 2008
    maryland
    I want to purchase an enclosed trailer. The widest cars I have are a Countach and Testarossa. I am looking at Aerovault and Jimglo. Has anyone used either of these with these cars and is there enough room to safely load these cars ? I am looking to winch them in and use a full length track system and use over the tire straps. Any input s appreciated

2. awatkins

awatkins Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2005
    SFO Peninsula
    Full Name:
    Alan Watkins
    I have an Aerovault I absolutely adore. I bought it to haul a GT-40, for which it is perfect, but have never had the 512TR in it. Mine has full-length L-track and I use L-track-type wheel nets (really loops) from Mac’s Tiedowns. Highly recommended.

3. blown daytona

blown daytona Formula 3

Feb 6, 2008
    maryland
    I have heard great things about the Aerovault. How wide is the GT-40 ?

4. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
  5. awatkins

awatkins Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2005
    SFO Peninsula
    Full Name:
    Alan Watkins
    Not wide. I’m away for a couple days but will evaluate the TR this weekend. PM me if I forget, please.

6. JohnMH

JohnMH Formula 3

Jan 28, 2004
    Dubai / Bologna
    To the OP, please let me know how you get on with your search. I have the same two 'wide' cars as you have, so am eager to learn from your experience.

7. blown daytona

blown daytona Formula 3

Feb 6, 2008
    maryland
    Thanks

8. awatkins

awatkins Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2005
    SFO Peninsula
    Full Name:
    Alan Watkins
    Will a 512TR fit in an Aerovault? Yes.

Here are the nerve-wracking details. The narrow point in the trailer is between the two rectangular wheel wells. They start 48 inches from the closed rear door/ramp. The wheel wells' vertical surfaces are 80-1/2" apart. The widest point on the 512TR at 16" altitude is just above the Pininfarina badge, and is 78" apart. (In case you're wondering the outside of each rear tire is one inch further in.) So, 2-1/2" to spare.

This sounds close at first hearing, but consider that everything you do in the loading process happens very slowly. My method for doing this would be to carefully mark the center point of the car with a silver Sharpie or white tape at the bottom edge of the front spoiler, do the same on the rear bumper, and similarly find the exact centerline of the loading ramp and lay down a long line of black Sharpie or tape representing that.

Then, with an assistant guiding, I would drive the TR to the edge of the ramp such that those two marks are aligned and the front wheels equally bearing on the edge of the ramp, taking as many attempts as are necessary. From there the centeredness of the car can be maintained by keeping the front and later the rear tires equally positioned relative to the tie-down extrusions (58 inches apart), and as a safety measure also watching from the rear (the winch has a wireless remote), and if you like having your assistant keep a hand on the steering wheel through the open driver's window (although there is only 16" to stand in either side of the car fore or aft of the wheel wells.

The car is 176" long and the clear floor length of the trailer is 199" so there is only 23 inches of extra space lengthwise, although the nose will probably go under the front trailer shelf (24" deep) if you want to better optimize CG.

If towing the TR is a prime reason for the trailer I would have the Aerovault guys position the tiedown extrusions closer to the tire centers (60" to 65" apart depending on how you want to favor front vs. rear)

I've attached a .ZIP file containing .PSD photoshop files of both vehicles in plan view, dimensioned to full scale (+/- an inch or so). In addition attached is one with the TR in the trailer such that you can move the trailer around. Note the Aerovault floor plan is not to scale but I scaled it so the floor width is correct. All this was done with Photoshop Elements.

Hope this helps.

Attached Files: