Testarossa | FerrariChat

Testarossa

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Guss23, Jan 7, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Guss23

Guss23 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 11, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    Jason Sharkey
    Will 75,000-80,000 buy a good, mid-mile (35,000-55,000) Testarossa? I have the capability and resources to do my own belt service.
    I watch the market very carefully and noticed that most of the ones in this category have a 100,000 asking price, but seem to have been on the market for a very long time.
    I currently have a 348 and love it but bought it because I couldn’t afford a Testarossa, but now have a friend willing to buy it for prime $$ for the 348 which puts me in striking distance.
    The Testarossa is a lifelong dream of mine.

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  2. Veedub00

Veedub00 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2006
    Troy, Michigan
    Full Name:
    James
    I don't think so. I think in the 70's you'll be getting mild fixer-uppers.

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  3. Parnelli

Parnelli Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 30, 2013
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Greg P
    $80k will get u a 50k mile car. Just start making offers and stay firm on your number.
    You will be surprised what happens.
    Someone will eventually hit your bid.
    Maybe it’s a car just taking up room in their garage or they have a life/liquidity-event that they just need to move on with.
    Private parties will give you much more success than dealing with a dealer of course

4. V4NG0

V4NG0 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2018
    Full Name:
    Charles Edward Cheese
    Given the age of these cars, price-to-mileage is virtually irrelevant except for outliers. The very relevant dynamic is price-to-condition. There are maintenance items unique to each generation of TR (flying mirror, dual mirror, 512, M). Make sure you know what those are for the generation of TR that you are looking at, and then ask for corresponding receipts. Then of course, conduct an eye test of the paint, body panels, interior, etc and factor that in. Also keep in mind that it is ridiculously easy to manipulate the odometer on these cars, which is another reason to deemphasize mileage.

Unless you find a seller who is desperate and/or ignorant, you’re going to pay up either way for a desirable example (you pay for the work they did already reflected in a higher selling price, or you pay to do the work yourself.). These cars don’t drive well when neglected. That’s partly why many wind up treating them as garage art only—resulting in “low miles” examples.

Good luck!

blkdiablo33 and Grain305 like this.
  5. Guss23

Guss23 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 11, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    Jason Sharkey
    Thanks guys, that's exactly the information I was looking for. I would like to have a high-mirror and have one I am looking at.

6. mr308gtb

mr308gtb Formula Junior

Sep 12, 2004
    Full Name:
    MeestahBig
    Based on my singular experience of buying a 1989 testarossa very recently (Oct 2020). I think you have a very good chance of buying an excellent car for that price, albeit one that is due/overdue for a major service. You just need to find a realistic seller (or car on consignment with a dealer) that isn't looking to sit around and wait long to sell it. Big difference between what people are actually asking for these cars (which are not selling) and what they actually sell for when the seller is ready to actually sell it.

Natkingcolebasket69 and Parnelli like this.
  7. V4NG0

V4NG0 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2018
    Full Name:
    Charles Edward Cheese
    Reference what I said above, click below, and then fast forward to the 1:40 mark.

vincenzo and fridolin_pt like this.
  8. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    mileage counter disconnected and then people wonder why after only little mileage this and that will break
    so no wonder :(

MS250 likes this.
  9. V4NG0

V4NG0 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2018
    Full Name:
    Charles Edward Cheese
    On this car, the diff... (Go to the 3:00 mark.)

10. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    a good diff can handle this
    even a broken diff can do so ;)

11. retinaldoc

retinaldoc Rookie

Feb 19, 2014
    DFW
    Any thought's on flying mirror TR prices? I've been watching them for the past year and there were maybe 10 on the market in 2020 and now only 2-3 with prices 150-165K. Seems they're going up in price quite a bit. I'm going to see one for sale this Friday locally that is on sale for $149,000. Of course the non flying mirror cars seem more in the $125,000 range.

12. V4NG0

V4NG0 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2018
    Full Name:
    Charles Edward Cheese
    421 flying mirror TRs made it to North America from the factory. 1,684 dual mirror TRs made it over. Put differently, for every 1 flying mirror, there are 4 dual mirror examples. The flying mirror is far more collectible from that standpoint. Plus it has the rare ‘knock off’ wheels, no mouse belts, no knee pad—and of course that long, exotic outstretched mirror. And it’s the version associated with Miami Vice. It’s the one to have IMO.

13. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    from looking at the car I agree, but when you drive the car the right mirror ( for left hand drive cars ) is missing. you never see what is back right beside or behind you

14. Veedub00

Veedub00 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2006
    Troy, Michigan
    Full Name:
    James
    the only time I have an issue is parallel parking.

15. Parnelli

Parnelli Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 30, 2013
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Greg P
    There is a single mirror 8400 mile two owner red testarossa on auto trader right now for 125K.
    Private seller.

From a “looks” perspective the single mirror is definitely much cooler looking.
    But there are other benefits to the dual mirror as well. .
    Get a well done PPI and buy what your heart wants.

And Not what your wife or some knucklehead on this forum might want :)

16. fridolin_pt

fridolin_pt Karting

Mar 25, 2008
    Germany NRW
    Full Name:
    Fritz
    Wise decision