Ferrari ROMA | Page 166 | FerrariChat

Ferrari ROMA

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by ajr550, Feb 7, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Scott Hawthorne

Oct 17, 2020
    Full Name:
    WiSH
    All the brands have issue like this, or others. It’s a new model with a lot of new tech and I’m sure they will sort out the niggles within the next 6-12 months.

randkin and RamsHmb like this.
  2. wings

wings Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2003
    SV: I sent you a private message. So far, except for a lighting issue, everything seems to work on my car. I asked the dealer if they had to do any software updates and he said no. The car arrived with software up to date. Received the car about 3 weeks ago.

3. Horsin'around

Horsin'around Karting

Jun 14, 2017
    I can’t get my TPMS to recalibrate/work. Wonder if this is a software glitch too?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Mickyd329

Mickyd329 Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2019
    Orange County Socal
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Sounds like my AMG GT63. Got so sick of the software and electronic bugs, I sold it. I'm getting close to putting in a Roma order and reading about these issues brings back bad memories of the AMG. Needless to say,, I won't be buying another MBZ anytime soon..

I hope Ferrari sorts it out soon. It's not good to tout all that tech just to have it not work.

5. colormered

colormered Rookie

Jan 22, 2021
    Full Name:
    Eric Weinraub
    The software is NOT Ferrari ... As someone in the software industry I have no doubt this was part of distribution with the hardware involved ... the center console pad and primary display cluster are running on all new software. Unlike the 458/488/F8 which are running on a now mature software platform, Roma and the SF90 are on the bleeding edge ... The measure will not be how stable the software is out the door in the initial run of cars but how quickly Ferrari's vendor gets on top of this. My understanding is that dealers are getting regular software updates. This would be easier if owners could download the updates and apply them themselves through a USB port.

6. wings

wings Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2003
    Ferrari sold me the car. I paid the money to them. It is their responsibility to release the car when it is ready, not before. I agree it would be nice if owners could do their own updates. My new C8 has OTA ( over the air )update capability. I have already done about 3 of these and that saved me trips to the dealer. Ferrari needs to raise the bar in their tech dept but as long as they keep selling every car they make I don't think they are highly motivated to get the product right... before shipping. BTW, the Digital display in the C8 is 10 times better than the Roma and this was the first year for the C8 as well.

sainthoo, tomc and colormered like this.
  7. colormered

colormered Rookie

Jan 22, 2021
    Full Name:
    Eric Weinraub
    I think comparing the Corvette to the Ferrari to not be much of a comparison .... The C8 is a mass produced car by the truck load your/my Ferrari is entirely hand built with the exception of the chassis which comes from the Alcoa factory up the road and piston injection process on the engine. ... Just like the Ferrari, GM worked with a design studio and vendor to build the displays etc. You like the display better. Great. Italian cars have come along way and will have to continue to improve to compete. We shall see what my tune is when my own car arrives....Ferrari is 100% responsible for sorting this out to your satisfaction not theirs.

8. wings

wings Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2003
    Wow. Until recently I was considering a new AMG GT63!

9. wings

wings Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2003
    For their first attempt at a digital display they did an ok job. With all their resources I would have expected more. I am not comparing Ferrari to Corvette except in the way they do digital Tech. What GM did with the C8, for that price point, is nothing short of amazing. In time I assume that Ferrari will improve their Tech also. However it should have been reliable right out of the box IMO.

10. Mickyd329

Mickyd329 Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2019
    Orange County Socal
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I would highly not recommend it. It was the 3rd AMG I've owned and it is definitely the last. We replaced it with a BMW M8 Competition Gran Coupe and couldn't be happier.

11. wings

wings Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2003
    I was surprised to hear this as AMG has always been a cut above the MB line. Even the services guys would tell me that. However there is so much tech going in these cars that stuff is going to happen. I have been driving a 2021 BMW 530i as a daily driver and it has been superb. Simple 4 cyl engine and smooth ride. This is my second one. I am a BMW fan.

12. Boots

Boots Formula 3

Jan 17, 2020
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Jake
  13. RomaLisbon

RomaLisbon Rookie

May 5, 2021
    Just took the car to the dealer today. They had received an order from Ferrari for a massive software update that is aimed at tackling lots of issues. The time for the update is around 5 hours and the technician said that alone meant it was a big update. I saw the order from Ferrari and it did mention lots of points, including engine, display, key, A\C and other issues.
    It also indicated that they are going to carry out this update on pretty much all cars that had been sold from the beginning.
    So, this means that indeed lots of issues are happening with most cars but hopefully this update will finally sort them out.
    Will keep you updated on how it goes.

glennkreisel, aepma and dan129007 like this.
  14. dan129007

dan129007 Rookie

Apr 20, 2018
    Florida
    Interesting review - it’s funny, all the things he disliked about the styling and engine are some of my favorite things…

elmadi likes this.
  15. aepma

aepma Rookie

Jul 24, 2013
    Europe
    Same here. My dealer called me today and asked to bring in the car to install this update. He made it sound like a big deal.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

RomaLisbon and glennkreisel like this.
  16. Vintageignition

Vintageignition Karting

Dec 17, 2020
    Full Name:
    Mike Mancini
    what is he talking about with software to change the tach style?

17. Boots

Boots Formula 3

Jan 17, 2020
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Jake
    I think he's implying that it would have been a cool option (since the dashboard is entirely digital) for the driver to be able to change the dial animation.

elmadi likes this.
  18. glennkreisel

glennkreisel Karting

Aug 29, 2020
    Full Name:
    Glenn Kreisel
    Yes please. Mine arrives in a few weeks and would be sweet to have most of the issues fixed

19. SAT4RE

SAT4RE Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2003
    Blairsville, GA
    Thought precisely the same thing. The Roma's sophisticated, elegant, understated looks and a surprisingly aggressive sounding engine are both wins for me.

dan129007 likes this.
  20. djmorandi

djmorandi Rookie

Jan 19, 2021
    Full Name:
    David J Morandi
    Has anyone taken delivery of their Roma with a light colored dashboard? Just wondering if there are any issues with glare on the windshield.

21. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I was able to see and sit in a Roma today. To me it looks smaller and more sporty / curvy than the photos -- which is a good thing. It also looks less like an Aston Martin. The interior is really nice. If you want a DD Ferrari this would definitely do the job. Its beautiful. If there is a sexier GT please show it to me.

The rear deck reminds me of an Etype coupe.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Nicolas21, SAT4RE and glennkreisel like this.
  22. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Interesting idea. He was saying Ferrari should do this but its not available.

I could have told you this guy was a video game designer before he told us. His critique is like reviewing a video game.

Some of this points are good, some are-- I think he doesn't get the point of this car. IMO this is a car that is supposed to look good and sexy but not stand out so much that you would be afraid to drive anywhere.

dan129007, SAT4RE and gw32 like this.
  23. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Well... over the air updates are really not really new. They are the current state of the art. And the 2021 C8 has wireless Apple Car play (the Roma is still wired) and -- its included in the base price for a car. For a daily driver in today's world, the Roma should too. Hell you can get Apple car play in a Hyundai.

Competition makes the breed better. The Roma was made to be a daily driver, Its not competing against McLaren. Its competing against the Porsche 911 in this case. That's a pretty high bar if they want to be successful.

A wireless update would help those who don't have time to take it to the dealer and waste a few days to a week in the shop, not to mention the hassle. Remember Ferrari dealers are not nearby a lot of customers.

I really like this car but I think Ferrari is just a little short of the mark in some areas. I don't think its being negative to say that. Its being constructive. I'm sure the dealers hear similar things from prospective customers.

randkin and JHNurse like this.
  24. S123456

S123456 Rookie

Apr 10, 2021
    Full Name:
    Sagar thakrar
    Hi,

Does the ADAS cruise control work like distronic in Mercedes? Does it accelerate and break on its own if you set a speed?

25. RamsHmb

RamsHmb Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 22, 2017
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    James
    Not completely caught up here but u can change the color of the tach...which is kind of fun.

elmadi likes this.