512TR - Additive & Multiplicat fuel trim values | FerrariChat

512TR - Additive & Multiplicat fuel trim values

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by flash32, May 5, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Does anyone know of a way to get these data items without the use of a SD1

Any leads would be appreciated

I know it has been discussed before but since things evolve, does anyone know how to use the ALDL on the 512tr as a OBD port to get the simple values like RPM, o2 mv, fuel trims, temps ?

Thanks in advance

2. dontilgon

dontilgon Formula Junior

May 30, 2011
    NY/PA
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    There are ways but it seems to be big kept secret......

3. awatkins

awatkins Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2005
    SFO Peninsula
    Full Name:
    Alan Watkins
    Joseph — please tell us what you know. How do you know “there are ways”?

4. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    there are always ways for everything, everywhere.
    but don´t ask me how to do, not know :(

5. dontilgon

dontilgon Formula Junior

May 30, 2011
    NY/PA
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    Sorry I do not know but if you look back on some photos you can see someone had a program on a laptop with a wire going to the sd1 .

6. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Just an update - not great news

I purchased the 3 pin plug adapter ( FIAT ) to ODB2 adapter which comes with cables to supply power to dongle
    I used various dongles - x431, elm, ap200 .. the best i got was with ELM and odb doctor it recognized the car but couldn't communicate with the ME 2.7
    I know it was a long shot but I saw others posting success using similar ME 2.7 - OPEL, Fiat Punto etc being successful
    If anybody has any ideas please let me know what you think - I would be grateful
    Programs test .. torque pro, obd Facile, x431, ap200, dash commander, obd doctor with various protocols including 1941-2 , using ferrari specific programs and generic obd programs
    Even though AP200 and x431 list ferrari 512tr as covered .. nothing I do works
    There is communications but not getting a handshake
    The only thing I did try was Carly with k-line usb adapter, and a FOXWELL nt530 ( don't have one) .. not sure if that would make a difference
    Again .. any thoughts would be great

7. awatkins

awatkins Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2005
    SFO Peninsula
    Full Name:
    Alan Watkins
    As I suspect you know the Foxwell nt530 does list 14 functions it supports for "Testarossa F512 TR" (whatever that is :) ). Have you considered purchasing one and returning if it doesn't work? Their return policies appear to allow that although the English is a bit to stilted to be certain.

8. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    I did consider that .. but the reason I am hesitate is that both ap200 and x431 both listed 512tr

I wanted to order one from Amazon since it is easy to return but they have only ones loaded with bmw, or gm , or etc but not Maserati.

I see a few websites that sell the foxwell ..not sure which is the official one ..

I would be interested if anyone with a foxwell got to work on 348 or 355 2.7

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

9. awatkins

awatkins Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2005
    SFO Peninsula
    Full Name:
    Alan Watkins
    I am far behind you on this quest, so I have a rather basic question: given (for example):the list of functions listed by foxwell, what leads you to believe any if them would provide the fuel trim values? Or is that just the next hope aver getting the two boxes to communicate? Or is that just something universal to 2.7 that you can assume to be there?

10. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    The coverage list for x431, ap200 and Foxwell say live data stream ...and maybe a leap, but hoping that the data would contain the same as the ferrari tester
    Fuel multi, adaptive, rpm, o2 volts .. all things I am sure the ECU it keeping track of
    I would measure each side independently

Not sure if you answered you question

11. awatkins

awatkins Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2005
    SFO Peninsula
    Full Name:
    Alan Watkins
    Yes you did, very well. Thanks. BTW I just stumbled on another thread about Foxwell 520, but mostly with 550 and 360. However, at the very end somebody got it to communicate (not sure which car) by using a USB power bank. See: diagnostic tester If that kind of thing is happening it suggest to me a grounding issue when Foxwell is powered by the car. Does that make sense?

12. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    The adapter i have is powered by the cig lighter .. so i know both the adapter and dongle is getting correct ground and power ..

I wrote an email to foxwell ..let's see what they say

I think if someone saw success with a 348 that would be same solution here

The 550 and 360 were already OBD2 compliant ..the 550 just had some issues with wire in the OBD2 connector which ended up being a recall (550)..not sure why the foxwell didn't comm with the 360 even at a generic obd2 level

13. awatkins

awatkins Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2005
    SFO Peninsula
    Full Name:
    Alan Watkins
    Sure, but it’s an arcane part of electrical engineering that power from a car can be noisy enough to interfere with digital signaling. I suggest you at least try powering all of these devices from a battery-based power supply; it solved the problem for this other guys so there’s a good chance it will work for you.

A device as cheap as this (chosen at random) would allow you to do the experiment:

https://www.amazon.com/BSYYO-Portable-High-Speed-10000mAh-External/dp/B08D3NWJH9/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=usb+power+bank&qid=1620848449&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExWTFTSjdMOERKNE9QJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwOTUzNTY5MUs1MDJVS0hQVk9STCZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwMDMwOTg2UlQyNlVRMThQRjgxJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

14. awatkins

awatkins Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2005
    SFO Peninsula
    Full Name:
    Alan Watkins
    Flash32 --
    I thought I saw an email go by in which you said Foxwell denied support of TRs. Did I imagine that? If not could you repost that message because I don't see it here on the forum.
    Thanks,
    Alan

15. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Yes foxwell said it doesn't support the 512tr ....even though the doc says it does

16. Huskymaniac

Huskymaniac Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2020
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Full Name:
    Tony
    If you were able to get something to communicate with the car to at least recognize it, the rest should be possible.

If we can grab a Ferrari tester, we might be able to listen in on the communications and get the formatting and command set.

I have also seen people do a dump of the internal memory of the ECU to get the code. Then they were able to decipher communications as well as how exactly the ECU is controlling things. But looking at lines of Hex is like watching the matrix. I have no idea how they decipher it. I am a EE and it is still magic to me.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

17. Huskymaniac

Huskymaniac Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2020
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Full Name:
    Tony
    I know someone that might be willing to do this for a fee. It would be good to see how many people would be willing to donate to a go-fund-me to make it happen.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

18. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    What exactly would he be doing ?

I have a few other things I haven't tried yet but close to giving up