458 upper dash panel | FerrariChat

458 upper dash panel

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Gregmccl, May 5, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gregmccl

Gregmccl Rookie

Jan 11, 2016
    So i have the cursed "deteriorating" foam on the upper dash panel. See pic. I took it to a local custom upholstery shop and was told they could not salvage the leather because the fear would be not being able to stretch it back smooth. I was told that the leather was "dried" out. Just curios if anyone has been able to remove the leather and replace the foam and use existing or if they had to have new leather over the foam. If new leather was the case. were you able to match the leather? My concern is even a slight mismatch in the leather or in the stitching will be very noticeable since it sits on top of the rest of the dash. Thanks!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. DefunctNeurons

DefunctNeurons Formula Junior

May 15, 2018
    Alpharetta, GA
    Full Name:
    Trevor
    My local Ferrari Indy shop (Merlin) has this repair being done every time I visit, it seems. They outsource the repair but the new leather is official Ferrari, so it should match perfectly. I’ve also had my previous car’s audio system additions covered in official Ferrari leather and it was a perfect match. You should be okay as long as they use that.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

3. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    I understand that Ferrari uses "wet" leather (leather that is not completely dried) as it is more supple but that it more prone to shrinkage. I hear you can never re-stretch or reuse the leather. I had this problem with my F12 recently. I took it to Ferrparts in Sacramento, CA and they refinished it with new OEM Ferrari leather. It came out near perfect. The leather did not have the right sheen when it arrived but that is because a previous owner had used conditioner on the dash. I used condition on the dash and it matched fine. I did not have stitching like your piece though but I am sure they can handle that. See the picture below. The center piece (binnacle) is the new piece.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. FFan5

FFan5 Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2018
    I had the door inserts re-done a few months ago by an indy and you cannot tell which is old and which is new. I asked him about the dash, he said the color match is easy, but the details, like the SRS Airbag stamp and stitching, is what separates the good repair from the bad.

He was adamant that it is only a matter of when, not if. So I'd find an indy and deal with them directly, this won't be the first time you have leather work done if you want to keep your car nice.

5. Eds458

Eds458 Karting

Jan 24, 2020
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Edward Lagunte
    I went through Scuderia parts which they ordered brand new from the dealer. Color & stitching were matched perfectly by vin. The good is there was no down time. I was still able to drive the car. The bad it took about 6 weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

docf likes this.
  6. Gregmccl

Gregmccl Rookie

Jan 11, 2016
    What was the cost to replace it from them? I have a quote for re-doing the whole thing for about $600 but i have the concerns above. Might be worth it to order new.

7. Eds458

Eds458 Karting

Jan 24, 2020
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Edward Lagunte
    The part was only 800. Then you tack on tax, shipping & insurance came to 933.48. Tax was a little steep because of VAT from Europe. A local shop quoted me 650 but he couldn’t promise me when he would have the material. The little extra was all worth it in my opinion. No 2nd guessing if it’s going to come out right.

Ed

docf, Gregmccl and MANDALAY like this.
  8. Gregmccl

Gregmccl Rookie

Jan 11, 2016
    Thanks. Very helpful and I could not agree more. please share the part number if you have it handy. Thanks again!

9. Eds458

Eds458 Karting

Jan 24, 2020
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Edward Lagunte
    Part # 082510719

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Gregmccl likes this.
  10. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    I've removed the leather from that part - not real fun. The foam under there is not easy to duplicate as far as feel. I had to try out several different high density closed cell foams before finding one that perfectly duplicated the one Ferrari used. Glue is another issue. I doubt the leather would stretch to the point where it cannot be put back on. My gut reaction is find another shop.

Someplace I've got the number to a really good shop that might be able to help you out. I'll see if I can find it tomorrow when I'm in the office.

Ray

11. Brambleworth

Brambleworth Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2011
    NY
    Full Name:
    Ted
    cool flash, SVCalifornia and RayJohns like this.
  12. Gregmccl

Gregmccl Rookie

Jan 11, 2016
    That looks awesome. i was thinking the same i did not know anyone made that.

13. 458 Spider 0414

458 Spider 0414 Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 7, 2017
    MIAMI, FLORIDA
    Full Name:
    RAY
    Can you post where to find this product? I cant find it on Mat CF by MACarbon

Thanks,
    Ray

14. Gregmccl

Gregmccl Rookie

Jan 11, 2016
    Or a contact person? Do you mind sharing the price?

15. 458 Spider 0414

458 Spider 0414 Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 7, 2017
    MIAMI, FLORIDA
    Full Name:
    RAY
  16. Brambleworth

Brambleworth Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2011
    NY
    Full Name:
    Ted
    Just call John at MACarbon. It was a custom job, believe it was about $600, but can’t remember exactly.