Looking at an 812 Superfast | FerrariChat

Looking at an 812 Superfast

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by knasman, May 5, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. knasman

knasman Rookie

May 5, 2021
    Hi,

New member here - been a Porsche guy forever, and still own a few, but after recently trading in a GT2RS I'm starting to think I should dip my toes into a Ferrari to check off that one on the bucket list. What excites me the most is an 812 Superfast, and in particular I'm looking at this listing:

https://www.towbinmotorcars.com/details-2019-ferrari-812_superfast-coupe-used-certified-zff83cla6k0240254.html

and I'm planning on heading there to check it out. It's a bit higher miles than other used ones for sale, but I plan on putting plenty of miles on this thing myself, so not too worried about that. Looking at the carfax, I can't quite make sense of the ownership records, it seems to have been corporately owned initially, then sold with 6xx miles on it. Then the next owner put 5000 miles on it in a period of 4 months. I've attached the carfax on it.

Anything that sticks out on that car to you guys? Anything I should ask about in particular, and look for when I got inspect it?

TIA!

2. SeattleStew

SeattleStew Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 10, 2020
    In the rain
    Full Name:
    Stew
    Rear wheels are on backwards lol. No front lift and tons of carbon is what sticks out on this car to me. If you plan on remaining at stock ride height, you’ll probably be fine without the lifter. If you want to lower it even a little bit, you will need the lifter.

Overall, go check it out in person. Just remember, the first hit in an 812 is free. The second time it’s gonna cost ya :D:rolleyes:

Caeruleus11 and Boots like this.
  3. knasman

knasman Rookie

May 5, 2021
    It's funny, because I've been eyeing the front lift, and went through the configurator and didn't see it as an option. Hence I was hoping it'd be a standard feature, but I guess it is not? It is a nice peace of mind feature, and I always select it whenever I build anything to order. Don't plan on lowering it, but still hate to scrape even occasionally...

lol on the rear wheels, you are totally right!

4. SeattleStew

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 10, 2020
    In the rain
    Full Name:
    Stew
    If you’re talking about the configurator on their website, it is a small fraction of what’s available on the dealer configurator. I would recommend checking out what the dealer configurator can offer, but once again, you’ll magically walk out with signed order forms for something.

When I was at stock ride height I never scraped on anything. I have a fairly steep driveway I encounter frequently and never had to use my lifter for it. However, it was good peace of mind, and now that I’ve lowered it, it’s absolutely necessary.

edit: correct, the lifter is not standard.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  5. knasman

knasman Rookie

May 5, 2021
    Gotcha, I did wonder why the configurator was so sparse compared to the Porsche equiv. Do you have a rough idea of how low the front splitter sits to the ground? Trying to compare with other cars I have. To be fair, I rarely _need_ to use the lifter, but I always do just because it's there. And the 812 doesn't look that low, would likely work just fine in my area.

6. SeattleStew

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 10, 2020
    In the rain
    Full Name:
    Stew
    If I remember correctly, the front center of the bumper was around 5.5-5.75" off the ground stock, and the bottom of the front edge of the side 'splitters' was around 4.75". With the approach angle I didn't have issues with speed bumps or driveways. I'd still navigate a tricky driveway low car style when not using the lifter, but could go straight on at a speed bump no problem. Realistically, you are unlikely to encounter problems if you live where it's flat. The occasional steep sloped driveway because of a narrow sidewalk is probably all that you might have a problem with. That said, if you have to think about resale value, you will be dinged on value points for not having the lifter by a future buyer.

Also, I've had my 812 since mid-august and I've put on over 10k miles. At about 4-5 months in I was well over 5000 miles, so it's not unfeasible that someone would enjoy the car that much for a short period of time. After you drive one, you'll quickly understand why.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  7. SeattleStew

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 10, 2020
    In the rain
    Full Name:
    Stew
    It may also be worth mentioning, if you are an iphone user, that this car doesn't have CarPlay either. What may be a standard feature across many brands is a $4000+ option with Ferrari. I personally don't like the Ferrari infotainment software, and believe CarPlay elevates it to something far more usable. But that's not a deal breaker for most people, just something to be aware of.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  8. knasman

knasman Rookie

May 5, 2021
    Thanks, that's useful information! Is there a way to lookup the options configured based on VIN? I never fully trust the dealership lists of options. It's doable for a porsche, but can't seem to find something similar for a Ferrari. Carplay is a nice-to-have for me, I don't really care that much about it. I do agree that it makes the screen useful though, I've yet to see an OEM nav that I'd consider using over just google maps or waze on the phone. Kind of unbelievable that carplay isn't standard...

9. SeattleStew

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 10, 2020
    In the rain
    Full Name:
    Stew
    I’m not sure about a VIN lookup, I haven’t bought a used Ferrari so I haven’t looked into it. I’m sure a search or a forum veteran would know. You can look at the data plate in the trunk, that should list all the options. Pictured is mine, and the dealer should have no problem sending it to you.

You will come to find that with Ferrari anything other than a drivetrain and a simple car built around it, nothing is standard.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  10. knasman

knasman Rookie

May 5, 2021
    I'll talk to them soon and hopefully go see it this weekend, I'll get them to shoot me a pic of the option plate.

Since I see you have it (and the linked car does too, but lots do not) - what's the verdict on the passenger display? It seems pretty cool, but I would imagine it's something you can live without?

11. SeattleStew

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 10, 2020
    In the rain
    Full Name:
    Stew
    The passenger display is fun for giving friends and family thrill rides. You fire up the car, and then tell them to hit the power button. Then they can see a digital tach and speedo and you can have some fun. It’s vastly improved from the previous generation display that looks cheap and tacky. It’s by no means a must have, but it adds to the over the top fun nature of the car

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  12. gef3rd

gef3rd Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 21, 2009
    Palos Verdes Estates
    Full Name:
    George
    If you’re looking at resale down the road I think shields, lift, and LED steering wheel are important. You might want to call Ferrari of Rancho Mirage. I think they have a new white 812 available. I saw it there about a month ago and they can’t advertise a new car. Might be able to get an aggressive deal or lease rate.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  13. knasman

knasman Rookie

May 5, 2021
    Does it come with a wife lockout mode o_O

14. knasman

knasman Rookie

May 5, 2021
    Interesting, actually heading towards Palm Springs this weekend and driving through Vegas (hence the opportunity to check out the linked car), so could stop by Rancho Mirage while down there and check it out. Thanks for the tip!

SeattleStew likes this.
  15. SeattleStew

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 10, 2020
    In the rain
    Full Name:
    Stew
    Not a problem that I have lol. She specifically requested it so she could enjoy seeing how fast we were going.

16. junc

junc Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 2, 2007
    Chicago/Laguna Beach
    Full Name:
    Jun
    Lucky man. I had to stop having my wife ride with me in the SF because she would complain about my speed with the display on.

SeattleStew likes this.
  17. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    I think it's a gimmick.

gliazzurri likes this.
  18. xBox

xBox Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2018
    The Emerald Isle
    I had a 991.2 GT3 and it was similarly low at the front. Different overhangs, but same if not easier to scrape the 812’s rubber touch fins.

19. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander

Caeruleus11, knasman and SeattleStew like this.
  20. knasman

knasman Rookie

May 5, 2021
    To wrap up this topic, it was quite difficult to both find a vehicle with the right options and snag it before someone else. Missed out on a few, but actually managed to land the one I really wanted to. 2019 blue tdf, 1000 miles on it. Didn't want to post anything here before the deal was done, but that's now the case. Getting put on a truck tomorrow and will arrive here next week, can't wait to go drive this thing! I've deliberately NOT test driven any, so it'll be my first time driving the 812 when it arrives at my doorstep. Excited!

Thanks all for your input, this one ticks all the boxes I wanted.

21. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Congrats! TdF/Cuoio, yellow calipers, dial and carbon driver zone... it's like my car's younger sister!

22. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    https://www.ferrarifl.com/inventory/certified-pre-owned-2019-ferrari-812-superfast-rwd-2d-coupe-zff83cla7k0246239

someone really spent some quality time with the order book, really handsome build !

Congrats!

23. knasman

knasman Rookie

May 5, 2021
    > Congrats! TdF/Cuoio, yellow calipers, dial and carbon driver zone... it's like my car's younger sister!

Let's see a picture!!

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  24. knasman

knasman Rookie

May 5, 2021
    Caeruleus11 and JTSE30 like this.
  25. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name: