Need info about vehicle transport | FerrariChat

Need info about vehicle transport

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Wolfo, Apr 26, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Wolfo

Wolfo Rookie

Mar 20, 2021
    Denver
    Full Name:
    George
    Hello. Need to get the Ferrari 360 from Sandiego to Denver. Anyone had experience with shipping? Tell me please about it. Any recommendations on enclosed transport across the US

I`m primarily interested in timing and quotes.

Thanks.

2. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    You probably won’t be picking your shipper. That will likely be chosen by the broker. When you call a broker, they will quote you a price. Say $2000. They are then going to post the gig on a board for all trucking cos to see. They will receive various bids on the gig. If they get a bid for $1500, the broker will keep $500 and you’ll pay the driver the other $1500.

Getting quotes from multiple brokers won’t help you much, as they are going to all be posting the same gig to the same group of trucking companies.

One trick is a broker will give you a super low price, but then they can’t ever get anyone to take the gig.

Read your contract carefully. One time I bought a Mercedes E350 and there was a strap failure on the truck and the car fell off the truck at 70 mph. Wasn’t a straight panel on the car afterward. Totaled.

The trucking co said “our contract specifically excludes strap failure”, and it did. I sued them and won - 18 months later. Meanwhile I was out $55K plus lawyer.

This crap happens a lot more than you realize.

technom3 likes this.
  3. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    I did enclosed shipping a few months ago AZ to FL with other cars on the truck like a 488 Mansory, G-wagen 4x4 squared, AMG GT, etc. Was $1,450 total ($200 deposit with broker, $1,250 cash on delivery for the driver). The pick up and drop off times are not 100% like an airline obviously so you have to have some flexibility or someone available on either end. They were able to get a slot for me quickly as the I-10 route is very common. Yours is probably less common so they may require more flexibility on your part.

4. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Recommend Intercity

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gt1995 and Davesvt2000 like this.
  5. Davesvt2000

Davesvt2000 Formula 3

May 3, 2005
    Central Mass.
    Full Name:
    Dave G.
    I’ve used Intercity twice and was completely satisfied with their service.

a friend of mine regularly uses Reliable, also happy with their service.

plastique999 and gt1995 like this.
  6. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    if u care about the car - use a broker at your own risk

BoulderFCar and Davesvt2000 like this.
  7. LBBP

LBBP Formula Junior

Intercity, Reliable are your best (safest) options.

gt1995 and Davesvt2000 like this.
  8. centerfireman

centerfireman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 23, 2015
    Roseville, CA
    I highly recommend Intercity. Have used them twice (a Caterham from PA to CA, and a Ferrari from IL to CA). They took extremely good care of the cars.

Davesvt2000 likes this.
  9. VGM911

VGM911 Formula 3

Apr 8, 2007
    New Jersey
    These guys transported a car that I purchased in New Mexico last year to my home in New Jersey. Very satisfactory service and competitive price. You'll like Mike.

Mike Newson
    Safeway Car Transport
    800-453-6334

10. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    I am a dealer and ship all the time.

I'd recommend passport. Plycar is great too. Intercity is great.

Don't use reliable. They aren't bad they just way over charge and takes way to long to get there 99% of the time.

I use the same boards as these brokers do and it's a crap shoot. You learn to weed out the dumb stuff. But accidents still happen. It's still people.

Davesvt2000 likes this.