Grigio Alloy on an 812...bad choice for later resale? | FerrariChat

Grigio Alloy on an 812...bad choice for later resale?

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by Bobby_P, May 1, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bobby_P

Bobby_P Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2004
    I used the search function in attempt to locate pictures of an 812...or even a F12...in different lighting to get a "feel" for the color on the shape/size of the car.

Rather than photos...I found a significant number of older posts indicating grigio alloy is not a very desirable color and those cars tend to sit.

I am still on the fence regarding the color...fear it may be too "feminine" on an 812...of course, I have yet to see it in person.

Curious if the consensus is indeed that grigio alloy cars are less desirable and either don't sell or follow a more significant depreciation curve.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

rossodino and SeattleStew like this.
  2. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    It’s a classic, understated choice that reflects maturity and class.

Boots, F140C, ANOpax and 1 other person like this.
  3. Moopz

Moopz F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 29, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    If I could have found my Lusso in Grigio Alloy or Azzuro California, I would have jumped on it. It really allows the lines of the design to show and is understated, but has enough color to pop a little. Instead I got my second choice, Grigio Silverstone.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

ANOpax and Bobby_P like this.
  4. BruceC

BruceC Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 26, 2018
    Tucson, AZ
    That is an eye-catching combination! The blacked-out wheels and red calipers really set things off (IMO). A very discriminating way to stand out from the crowd!

Bobby_P likes this.
  5. SeattleStew

SeattleStew Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 10, 2020
    In the rain
    Full Name:
    Stew
    Can’t speak to resale value, but the paint looks great. I’d recommend buying what you want and enjoy, and worry about selling it later.

Boots, ANOpax and Bobby_P like this.
  6. Bobby_P

Bobby_P Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2004
    Oh...I 100% agree.

Problem is...I am somewhat color agnostic...the Grigio Alloy looks good IMO...just not sure if it looks an extra $25-50k in depreciation good assuming it truly is an undesirable color. :)

7. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    Grigio Alloy looks more blue in the full sun and it is a magical color. Now if you live in Seattle or an area with mostly clouds 90% of the time, you might need something else… I think more buyers are looking for unique colors and in the future will pay to get something more rare than Rosso…

Robb

ANOpax and Bobby_P like this.
  8. 96redLT4

96redLT4 Formula Junior

Feb 20, 2009
    California
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Buying any 812 is probably a bad choice for later resale but a wonderful choice for driving enjoyment:)

350MH83, Bobby_P and ANOpax like this.
  9. ANOpax

ANOpax Formula 3

Jul 1, 2015
    The Netherlands
    If you like it enough to buy it, so will someone else when you come to sell it.

It will stand out against a sea of Nero on Nero or Rosso on Cuoio which could paradoxically make it easier to sell. A high end dealer local to me actively seeks out unusual colour combinations (as long as they’re tasteful) because he says it makes it harder for potential buyers to cross-shop his pricing elsewhere as his cars tend to be ‘one of a kind’ in the market at that given moment.

10. Bobby_P

Bobby_P Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2004
    You ain't wrong on either point. :)

11. F140C

F140C Formula 3

Nov 25, 2016
    Piedmont
    Full Name:
    Marco
    Couldn't agree more. I'm sure there are gentlemen out there who would take it over Rosso Corsa or Giallo Modena.

ANOpax, Skippr1999 and Bobby_P like this.
  12. BruceC

BruceC Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 26, 2018
    Tucson, AZ
    I think maybe just the opposite on depreciation. I was shopping an F12 finished in Blu America from Naples Motorsports last month when a Ferrari dealer came along, snapped it up, and listed it for $30k more. A tough pill to swallow, but credit to them for recognizing the value of marketing a rare color. Blew out my budget, but at the end of the day, I'm a happy camper, love the color, and don't really care what anyone else thinks about it.

Bobby_P and Thecadster like this.
  13. rossodino

rossodino Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2007
    corona del mar, ca.
    Full Name:
    bruce sansone
    I think what this boils down too is how long u plan to keep this 812 this is a rare color, if you plan to hold on to it for quite some time the rarity could work in your favor but you really need to buy it because your like the color nothing else should matter, at the end of the day these are not low production cars so if you are looking for that type of outcome it could be a long time. Just look at the Enzo cars the value in the low production numbers and the beauty of the mostly Pininfarina designs is what is really determining the value.

14. Napoli

Napoli Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    NOYB, Ray!
    Until everything out there is either a V-6 hybrid or full electric. Give it time.

JTSE30, Bobby_P, ANOpax and 1 other person like this.
  15. Bobby_P

Bobby_P Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2004
    I fully expect the 812 to sink in value like a stone...at least over the short/medium-run and/or until the world become electrified or runs on hydrogen.

So, depreciation is not a concern on the top of my list. Rather, I am looking for a car with the race seats...which limits the inventory quite significantly...this Grigio Alloy example happens to have them.

Personally, I like the color...again not having seen it in person. However...and what prompted me to start this thread...I was quite surprised at the results of my search for Grigio Alloy on this forum. There were several posts regarding the issue of cars "sitting" on dealer lots in this color.

Based on that search I didn't know if I was the last person to know that Grigio Alloy is the equivalent of Mary Kay Pink and only those not well versed in Ferrari would ever consider such a color. Given the responses so far...I don't think I need to worry that is the case. :)

rossodino likes this.
  16. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    I have a silver Dino and a Silver CS.....also have two red Fcars.
    There is nothing wrong with the silver based cars...totally classic.

Bobby_P likes this.
  17. Boots

Boots Formula 3

Jan 17, 2020
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Jake
    I’m sure you’d have an easier time selling a Rosso Corsa car, but to say that it would sit, and be seen as undesirable I think is a massive over statement. Like many have already said, Grigio Alloy is much rarer and you’ll stand out from the crowd - in a good way. If anything, I think a dealer/buyer would you end up giving you more for a Grigio Alloy car. Supply and demand, in a sea of Rosso Corsa 812’s for sale, those cars will be competitively priced against each other whereas if there’s only a handful of Grigio Alloy cars available...well, you get where I’m going with this. If this was a Grigio Alloy car with say an entirely denim jean interior then I may be hesitant towards the purchase, but I think with this spec you’ll be more than okay when it comes time to sell.

rossodino, Skippr1999 and Bobby_P like this.
  18. rossodino

rossodino Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2007
    corona del mar, ca.
    Full Name:
    bruce sansone
    So it sounds like you have the right mindset for this car, I think the color is unique and I am with you on the race seats those are the only seats I would want in an 812 as well. These 812's are definitely going down in value over time but if you have the money and I am sure you do, enjoy the car now and start listening to that wonderful V12, they are great cars.

Bobby_P likes this.
  19. 430jm

430jm Formula Junior

Jun 11, 2017
    Atlanta

20. 430jm

430jm Formula Junior

Jun 11, 2017
    Atlanta
    I disagree. The 812 is not sinking like a stone and is probably the last of its breed. I think it will do what the 458 is doing. And I have one of those, a Spider, too.

gzachary and JTSE30 like this.
  21. Bobby_P

Bobby_P Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2004
    Well, I certainly hope you are correct about the 812...after I purchase one, of course. :)

However...and this is just my opinion...I think it is difficult to determine pricing trajectory of pretty much any desirable car (as well as other items & real estate) over any significant time frame based on the price action we are seeing now. There is just so much fiscal & monetary "sorcery" across the globe at the moment that I believe you cannot glean any sustainable trend with regard to pricing. Basically, I would give it 50-50...at best...that prices will continue to hold/appreciate versus this is the exact top of the market.

I have been watching the F12/812 market for some time now as I had been on the fence with regard to which I wanted. In August, 2020 there was a very nice 2017 F12 with about 5k miles priced at $259k. It sat for a couple months and eventually sold around Halloween, 2020.

That exact same F12 came up for sale at another F-car dealer this week. It went under deposit within 24hrs @ $299k.

This feels far more like January, 2000 to me than April, 2009, but what do I know. :)

Veloce12, ANOpax and Thecadster like this.
  22. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    i think this looks great

Bobby_P likes this.
  23. SeattleStew

SeattleStew Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 10, 2020
    In the rain
    Full Name:
    Stew
    It’s hard to argue that we aren’t in a gigantic used car bubble at the moment. Right now might be one of the best times ever to be selling. It won’t last forever, and we’ll see if it pops or just slowly deflates.

Bobby_P likes this.
  24. 350MH83

350MH83 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2014
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Max
    I dont think GA is a problem for resale. Wonderful color and suits the maturity and size of the 812 very well. If you are worried there is an effect on the resale value, then try and send a low ball offer for their GA car. If the effect is real, they'll probably consider it, and you should then not be too worried about it since you paid less for it anyway. If they tell you to F*** O**, then there is probably not much of a resale issue with GA, and you can purchase it at CDF or GS price:)

SeattleStew and Bobby_P like this.
  25. Bobby_P

Bobby_P Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2004
    Well...that was a bust.

This particular 812 was consigned with a Los Angeles area Ferrari dealer for several months. It appears my offer was the impetus the consigner needed to decide not to sell.

The search continues...