Need help finding a QV fuel level sending unit | FerrariChat

Need help finding a QV fuel level sending unit

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Journiacois, Apr 22, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Journiacois

Journiacois Formula Junior

Dec 28, 2013
    Dordogne, France
    Full Name:
    Gerald
    If you've been following my 'Dante Major Revision" thread or one on "'Replacement fuel sending units"', you know that I'm down to the final details of wrapping up the mechanicals on my QVs major. The final issue was that my fuel gauge was always saying full so the problem came down to the sending unit after we tested the gauge itself and found it working.

With some good advice from Afterburner, Phil my mechanic has been tracking down the problem. Finally we have taken out the unit itself and there is the problem. The float does operate the emergency fuel level light but the contact for the fuel level gauge is the one that does not work. He has tested it with a multi meter and no current passes.

Sooo...it's either live with the problem, as I have this last year or find a replacement which I would prefer. I have searched ebays in Europe and the US. Looked at superformance, T Rutland, which do not carry it. Redbay had one but it has been sold. One place says the part number is 13213 but does not have. Ricambi has it listed as part number 116045, but is unavailable".

Italian Car Parts will rebuild yours starting at $400. So that means in the time that I have to ship to the states, the time for the rebuild and the time shipped back along with french customs of 20%, I'm without the car for another month or so plus with shipping and handling prices on their site, I'm in for at least $600+. They also have a "'generic"' aftermarket available at $350 which needs the float arm modified to your own version. Again with the costs affiliated it would be at least $500 to me.

Which leaves me asking if anybody out there has one available, or knows of one or where I can get one. I need to make a decision soon as Phil needs to free up his lift by next Friday the 30th. Dante has now been 2 months in the air.

Any ideas or advice would be appreciated.
    Gerald

2. greatscott73

greatscott73 Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2017
    Eastern Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Howard Scott
    Have you tried Ferrparts in California? They part cars out and may have one. ferrparts.com

(for some reason that link doesn't want to work, but you should be able to find them at ferrparts.com.)

3. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Gerald, I think the Lancia Beta/Trevi, Fiat 126/500/600/1100/1200/1500 unit uses the same rheostat part (the plastic housing section).
    You could probably use that part with the rest of the Mondial hardware.

https://www.fiatparts.de/en/3004044716

4. Journiacois

Dec 28, 2013
    Dordogne, France
    Full Name:
    Gerald
    Hi guys,
    Thanks for the tips. I have called Ferr Parts and left a message. And I see the Fiat part online. I'll send the email to phil to see if he thinks he can exchange it.
    Gerald

5. Journiacois

Dec 28, 2013
    Dordogne, France
    Full Name:
    Gerald
    Thanks George, I'll give them a call on Monday morning. It is not shown as a full pic of the unit in the schematics so I want to check out what you get for the price. If it is the full deal, I'll make it.
    Gerald

6. Journiacois

Dec 28, 2013
    Dordogne, France
    Full Name:
    Gerald
    George,
    Thanks for the tip. Eurospares does have them in stock as a generic piece requiring adapting the length of the float arm. It is the same manufacturer which provides them directly to Ferrari. The price is 89 pounds plus 30 fedx to get it here in 2 days (which is important to my mechanic). Plus there will be the usual 20% french VAT and the additional 10% or so of Brexit charges. That will translate into around $215 or 178 Euros: But a lot better than what I was looking at before.

afterburner likes this.
  7. Journiacois

Dec 28, 2013
    Dordogne, France
    Full Name:
    Gerald
    My optimism was unfounded. My mechanic was unable to make the replacement unit work. According to him, the plate and gasket that closes the hole is a different size and he could not cannibalize the float mechanism from the new to put on the old. So while Eurospares assured me that it could be adapated, at least my mechanic could not make it work.

So maybe the best bet would have been the fiat part mentioned above with taking the float mechanism off and replacing it on the old one. But too late now, the old one had to be put back in and the tanks reinstalled. I'm hoping that a replacement instrument gauge will work. Otherwise, I'm back to square one.

8. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Gerald I am sorry to hear that... after re-installation, my fuel gauge (level) only started to work on the second day - the warning light worked instantly. I have NO idea why. That's the reason I know about the FIAT part - I already started to search for a replacement or repair option the evening we put it back in. The next day, the fuel level started working and all was left in place.

9. Journiacois

Dec 28, 2013
    Dordogne, France
    Full Name:
    Gerald
    I'll update things when the replacement fuel gauge is installed. That will be the end of the story.

ronfrohock likes this.
  10. Journiacois

Dec 28, 2013
    Dordogne, France
    Full Name:
    Gerald
    End of story: just to keep this thread complete, it was the fuel gauge itself all along. I bought a used replacement from Redbay and now it works and reads as it should. So all that time and expense was not necessary. Maybe I should have started there. Of course, in the long run, removing the tank, giving it a thorough inspection, and replacing all the hoses and cleaning the electrical connections was not a bad thing. Now I will need to see if at my first fill up, I no longer have the fuel vapor smell. That is what started all this in the first place as I was ok living with the bad gauge.

theunissenguido likes this.
  11. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Gérald I have that whiff of fuel smell too upon filling up and when the fuel level is very low. I think it's simply the air expanding in the tanks when it gets hot and venting through the check valve near the fuel pump. All my hoses are new and it didn't change anything to the occasional smell.

I think replacing all your hoses was clearly the right thing to do anyway. Will you open the faulty gauge?

12. Journiacois

Dec 28, 2013
    Dordogne, France
    Full Name:
    Gerald
    I had planned originally to replace the hoses anyway. But removing the tanks allowed for a good inspection and clean. As far as opening the gauge, had no plan to do it but what would I look for? Are they repairable?

13. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    I would like to see the inside... depending on what it is it may very well be repairable. Would you mind opening it and post some pictures?

14. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    New level senders are available. They are a universal replacement but work great. I have installed them.

116045 is for a Mondial. You need 108644. It is listed as in stock at Maranello Classic. Ricambi shows it as a good number and since MC shows it Rutlands / MPI have it available too

15. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Could have sworn I clicked on the 308 page. Duh.

ODD parts in California can fix your old one should you want to do so.

16. Journiacois

Dec 28, 2013
    Dordogne, France
    Full Name:
    Gerald
    I' ask Phil for it when I go to pick up the car. It is off to the exterior fix up guy next week so it will be a couple weeks before I get it back. Will look at it then and post the pics. Am I looking for something special? Or just a general pic of the insides?

17. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Just a general look I have never seen one open. We may see a problem. I always find it hard to through rare parts or instruments away...