Which model year for a 599 GTB | FerrariChat

Which model year for a 599 GTB

Discussion in '612/599' started by HaK599, May 2, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. HaK599

HaK599 Rookie

Aug 23, 2020
    UK
    Full Name:
    Howard Karp
    looking into buying a 599 GTB

is there a model year that is best or were there no real improvements made over the manufacturing period?

2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    #2 greyboxer, May 2, 2021
    Last edited: May 2, 2021
    I believe you are in the UK where model years don't exist.......

Most Ferraris have improvements introduced on a fairly random basis

My best guess is there's a list year already here if significant otherwise a standard buying advice thread such as last month's will tell most all you need to know

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/starting-to-learn-about-the-599-gtb-fiorano.639990/

Thinking about it I also suspect you have accessed via a UK website a fantastic real owner experience - trust his advice

3. HaK599

HaK599 Rookie

Aug 23, 2020
    UK
    Full Name:
    Howard Karp
    so there really is no difference between a 2006 599 and a 2011?

4. HaK599

HaK599 Rookie

Aug 23, 2020
    UK
    Full Name:
    Howard Karp
    seems the 2008 cars onwards have a different ECU which can take the software upgrade to HGTE spec for throttle response and gear changes

5. odf911

odf911 Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2013
    London UK (Chelsea)
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    I think the ECU was upgraded at some point in time ... production number is the key.

6. HaK599

HaK599 Rookie

Aug 23, 2020
    UK
    Full Name:
    Howard Karp
    yup

2008 onwards

Performance (only available for post-2008 cars, from engine no. 122779), includes:

* New exhausts silencers with two-tone finish tailpipes
    * Enhanced F1 gearshift actuation, with response times reduced to 85ms
    * New accelerator logic with modified mapping for improved throttle response

this for the factory HGTE upgrade

7. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    For US models that is from serial number 156938 in 2007 for the newer ECUs that are compatible with the full HGTE upgrade kit.

FerrariFinally and Ian Daviau like this.
  8. Da Butcher

Da Butcher Karting

Jan 9, 2018
    Full Name:
    Jose Marie Alandy
    Howard,

If you''re able to locate them in the isles (or on the mainland), go for a factory-installed / optioned HGTE model (available 2009-2012 in the EU). Very few were manufactured. You will not regret it.

Cheers and happy hunting.

9. HaK599

HaK599 Rookie

Aug 23, 2020
    UK
    Full Name:
    Howard Karp
    Is the serial number the same as the engine number?

10. HaK599

HaK599 Rookie

Aug 23, 2020
    UK
    Full Name:
    Howard Karp
    thanks but i think i will find the HGTE model a bit harsh...I'm definitely looking for comfort over performance!

11. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    Also I believe steel brakes available standard on 2007 with CCB optional then 2008 on has CCB standard.

of2worlds likes this.
  12. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Howard- No, the engine number is not the same as the last 6 of the VIN. Neither is the assembly number the same. Get a 599 owners manual and do some reading.

In general, the later a 599 you can afford, the better, and HGTE is even better but only available from CY 2009.

13. Da Butcher

Da Butcher Karting

Jan 9, 2018
    Full Name:
    Jose Marie Alandy
    Howard,

I've owned an early 2007 599 GTB and now a 2011 HGTE, so I can clearly vouch that the "myth" of HGTE models having a "harsh ride" is definitely unfounded!

As a matter of fact if I recall correctly, the GTB (with Daytona seats) rode much harder with its specified Pirellis. My current HGTE still rides on Pirellis but these were redesigned differently by Pirelli specific for HGTE models the MR dampers were also reset by Ferrari to a different ECU setting. I've taken my HGTE (with original Recaro-sourced Carbon Fiber race seats) on long drives with my wife (who loves the ride of our SL55-AMG) and she believes the GTB rode harder.

After a few months of rough rides with the Pirellis on my GTB, I bought a set of Michelin Pilot Supersports which made the ride much more supple without negatively affecting handling.

Soon as the Pirellis wear out on my HGTE, I'll immediately switch to Michelin Pilot Sport 4S (K2) for better handling with softer ride.

of2worlds and Ian Daviau like this.
  14. phil the brit

phil the brit Formula 3

Jul 7, 2013
    Colchester+Clermont
    Full Name:
    Phil Taylor
    My HGTE is soon for sale. PM me if interested in viewing. (Essex based).

Skidkid likes this.
  15. HaK599

HaK599 Rookie

Aug 23, 2020
    UK
    Full Name:
    Howard Karp
    Hi

can i ask the colour?

16. HaK599

HaK599 Rookie

Aug 23, 2020
    UK
    Full Name:
    Howard Karp

interesting

17. Comintern

Comintern Rookie

Mar 23, 2021
    Full Name:
    Bogdan Panek
    599 depreciation analysis
    Basically prices are mileage dependent with HGTE adding like $30k if I remember correctly. Doesn't matter what year you get. One of these days I need to get one.

18. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    HGTE was not available from the factory until CY 2009, MY 2010 in the US. Earlier claimed HGTEs are kit installations and do not increase value by $30K.

19. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Agreed not 30K for retrofit but likely 15K or so. At least for a full install.

20. Da Butcher

Da Butcher Karting

Jan 9, 2018
    Full Name:
    Jose Marie Alandy
    Terry,

I’m aware of that fact. Sorry if I wasn’t too clear. HGTE was initially supplied earlier in the EU manufactured in CY2009 as MY2010, but before being made available in the US. I mentioned that since Howard lives in the U.K.

If I’m not mistaken (and I stand corrected), most if not all HGTE models in the US were manufactured in CY2010 since Ferrari typically supplies new cars to the EU and U.K. first.

My MY2011 has a late May 2011 manufacturing plate, though I’m not certain when Italian manufacture dates/months start for the next MY. I also recall an ad for a 2011 HGTE with a manufactured date of Sept 2011!

Likewise, I saw another ad for a 2012 HGTE that came from EU, yet we all thought the HGTE model ended in 2011. It had a very high VIN (manufactured in early CY2012) that was in line with the Alonso variants and for that matter, the Gonzales ones too.

Skidkid likes this.
  21. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Affirmative, the HGTE was available pretty much until production shut down.

22. Ian Daviau

Ian Daviau Rookie

Apr 25, 2022
    Pompano beach
    Full Name:
    Ian Daviau
    Good call on the Michelin Pilot Super Sports! I just received my new to me 2007 GTB with brand new Perelli P zeros. I have brand new Michelin pilot super sports on my Maserati GTS, I’d like to put brand new Michelin pilot super sports on my Ferrari as well even though the P zeros are brand new. I was getting slack on another forum here as to why I would bother changing them when they are new. You answered that question

23. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

I'm in the same position with the Pirelli P zeros. I'm driving as much as I can to be done with them!

24. Zaza

Zaza Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 27, 2017
    Brittany & Indonesia
    Full Name:
    Xavier
    me too !!