FORMULA 1 HEINEKEN GRANDE PRÉMIO DE PORTUGAL 2021: RACE ▄▀▄▀▄▀ SPOILERS ▀▄▀▄▀▄ | Page 11 | FerrariChat

FORMULA 1 HEINEKEN GRANDE PRÉMIO DE PORTUGAL 2021: RACE ▄▀▄▀▄▀ SPOILERS ▀▄▀▄▀▄

Discussion in 'F1' started by SPEEDCORE, May 1, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

If Ferrari it would still resemble a paper crown due the the silly regs of freezes / tokens.

MSC and Ferrari had to work their asses off for 5 years before a WDC. Well deserved.

Other teams were permitted to close the gap, and did.

Jakuzzi likes this.
  2. Jakuzzi

Jakuzzi Formula 3

Mar 26, 2005
    PR, TX, GV
    Full Name:
    Jaime
    THIS is what I wrote on the Qualifying thread, in relation to @jpalmito's comment about the Mercedes war machine... "It was NEVER off track.... :( MB as always sandbagging to create drama. Mark my words, as of tomorrow it WILL be the MB/LH44 steamroller ...... :("

Sorry to say it, but the Championship is already done! I have been watching/attending F1 races for 40 years, and it is frustrating how predictable F1 has become and the blatant favoritism/protection of LH44 by MB/FIA........

stavura, Giallo 550, 375+ and 3 others like this.
  3. Hocakes

Hocakes Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2010
    FL
    3 whole days is living daylights??!! Get real. If you want competition you have to actually allow innovation & testing. 2 things the FIA has not allowed in at least 7 years.

It costs money to win. It costs a lot of money to lose too when your hands have been tied.

Sent from my Samsung Note 8 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

4. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    You can forget about innovation and testing; the teams don't want them.

A few years back, the team principals accepted to give up free testing against racing more GPs and get more money for it,

Realistically Ecclestone told them that GPs bring revenue from TV channels, but not testing sessions, and they bought the idea.

Now, with 23 GPs during the season, there is hardly any time left for testing anyway.

Unlimited testing cost a lot, and with the budget cap, it's unlikely to come back.

That's the reality.

Terra likes this.
  5. jjmalez

jjmalez F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2005
    Northern Illinois
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    Kind of creepy how many times I'm referenced in this thread.

Bringing back refueling would solve half of the complaints of the day.

IMHO

WPOZZZ and Bas like this.
  6. Hocakes

Hocakes Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2010
    FL
    #256 Hocakes, May 3, 2021
    Last edited: May 3, 2021
    Congratulations. We might get you 14 whole seconds of TV screen time fighting for 12th instead of several minutes fighting for 4th where you would have been with the ability to test & no straitjacket rules. Enjoy your 12th place.

Again, losing costs $$$$$ too. Lack of sponsorship, lack of constructor points $$$ at end of year. Money wasted on hamstrung development to finish 9th instead of 10th.

Why bother if you're nowhere near winning & never will be???

No other professional sport explicitly forbids the ability or budget to train, practice, or improve.

I literally slept through almost the entire recorded race yesterday. Caught the 1st 6-7 laps & the last 7 & even that limited exposure was a waste of my time. How much TV exposure did I generate thanks to F1's 7 year foray into fool proof insomnia cures? Zero.

Moto GP? Fast, exciting, & unpredictable. Watched the whole thing live. And those guys are in danger if they screw up. F1? You cross a painted line & get a scolding.

7. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

F1 can only be as good as what the actors want to play.

I know it doesn't suit everybody.

8. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    I wonder if the principles meeting were documented and made public if they would continue to record the same vote ??

Build more chassis and test them on the 4 days a week you aren't racing at a venue.

9. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet

With 23 GP per season the races are no longer an event. Formerly with 16 Gp, each GP was eagerly awaited. The trivialization by the number harms the image of the sport for the long term.

Giallo 550, fil, AtSomePoint and 2 others like this.
  10. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Andreas Seidl, the new McLaren principal, recently advocated no more than 15GPs per season, and more testing allowed.
    I supposes he would accept a lower revenue for his team as well.
    It's a catch 22 situation: more freedom, for less money.

Anyway, not all teams could enjoy unlimited testing in the past, for financial reason. However, with his private testing facilities, Ferrari had the advantage.
    If unlimited testing was to come back, only the 4 or 5 best funded teams could benefit from it, so we would be back to square one.

11. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    +1

Barca is boring because of the layout of the track: Too many medium to high speed, long flowing corners that stretch the cars out. High downforce cars simply can't follow each other close enough through those sections. The chicane at the end in an effort to slow teams up isn't doing enough.

12. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Actually we would as you and others would be complaining about Ferrari domination and how boring it is for that team to be favoured by the FIA.;-)

My stance would be the same, allow innovation and testing to improve. The technical aspect of F! fascinates me much more than a bunch of prima donna's

Tony

Giallo 550 and jpalmito like this.
  13. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Why doesnt the sport build up a pot of money to pay for ALL teams to attend 6 pre race testing sessions x 1 car x 1 reserve (upcoming) driver / year and allow unlimited modifications to the cars and get fresh talent back into the sport.

Everyone would benefit and if MB still turns out to be top dog then so be it. At least it can be considered sporting. Allowing one team to gain an advantage and then deny others to at least try to claw its way back up the grid is killing the sporting principals of F!

14. Hocakes

Hocakes Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2010
    FL
    Your square one means 4-5 teams in the hunt to win each weekend & maybe 3-4 to win WDC & WCC. Not 1 like the past 7 yrs. In other words, not our lady of the perpetual snoozefest like we have now.

jpalmito likes this.
  15. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Agree, the number of gps is to me one of the factors that is destroying f.1, also in this case, less is more, no more than 18 gps should ever be alowed.

16. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    Little off topic, folks,

Tomorrow Ferrari officially introduce the 812 competizione, a sublime machine.
    At least one domain where Mercedes does not risk to beat us is the design, because their hypercar AMG ONE is really ugly!:D;)

Giallo 550 likes this.
  17. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

"Let's stick another chicane in."

Always the same answer to F1's problems.
    :D

They'd make more progress sorting out the fluctuating Track Limits

Giallo 550, Bas and jpalmito like this.
  18. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

You are wrong!

I really don't care who dominates F1 as I am not bound by any brand loyalty,

I like winners, and if it was Ferrari, they would deserve as much praise from me than Mercedes now.

Realistically, we are far from that.

19. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Bring back refuelling and random water sprinklers,ohh and make Lewis drive with one hand

20. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Since the Mercedes had to meet Euro pedestrian standards they have all the appeal of a flying brick, IMO

SimCity3, Bas and jpalmito like this.
  21. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    :p:p

22. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Someone was passed. Someone won the race. Enjoy the sleep :)

TheMayor likes this.
  23. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I missed it too, hosting at Keels and Wheels!

darn....

24. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    We're not talking about the same thing: My point was in reference to why Barca is particularly prone to be a snooze fest. What you're saying holds true for the whole season but my rationale was in regards to this one track, which traditionally had boring races even when there was a high level of competition.

25. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    True. OTOH I do like to have more races as it shortens the breaks between them. I'm addicted to F1 and I admit it. :)