488 engine problems, need help! | FerrariChat

488 engine problems, need help!

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by 3g_bishi, May 1, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 3g_bishi

3g_bishi Rookie

May 1, 2021
    Full Name:
    Mo Hamadneh
    Hello, i have a 2016 488, the i had replaced the turbo on the driver side. The car is smoking alot and is mixing antifreeze and coolant, its running okay but i think i either have bad oil cooler if thats possible. I dont think its the head gasket because the antifreeze jug doesnt have compression coming back, the spark plugs are clean, the engine runs smooth.

any idea how to help pin point this down? I am willing to pay for advice. Im a mechanic and replaced the turbo myself. Thanks

2. rotaryrocket7

rotaryrocket7 Formula Junior

Dec 7, 2011
    Eden Prairie, MN
    Full Name:
    Matt
    I think you mean you have oil and antifreeze mixed? How do you know you have them mixed? Seeing it on the dipstick or just assuming from the smoking engine?

If the 488 uses the same kind of engine cooler like prior Ferraris the mixing could be from the cooler, however I would be surprised if that was actually the culprit. When did you replace the turbo? How many miles since and how quickly did the symptoms you're describing happen within?

3. MotorMouth

MotorMouth Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 6, 2010
    MA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    check for pressure coming in to the radiator itself rather than the overflow bottle.

4. 3g_bishi

3g_bishi Rookie

May 1, 2021
    Full Name:
    Mo Hamadneh
    Thanks for the reply, so i replaced the turbo 2 days ago, the exhaust turbine was bad. but the car came in with multiple issues, so engine runs smooth now and turbo is working properly. Just mixing oil and coolant, the coolant is clean, but oil has coolant in it. i pour antifreeze in the coolant jug on the engine and it makes its way into the oil really quick. might do a pressure check tommorow. Is there another fill spot other then the jug by the oil containor?
    And its marking the dipstick i have changed the oil twice and after a while the oil level rises and becomes watered down.

5. 3g_bishi

3g_bishi Rookie

May 1, 2021
    Full Name:
    Mo Hamadneh
    Thanks for the reply, i am going to check this but is there a fill spot at the radiator or just from the engine jug?

6. PMiranda

PMiranda Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2004
    Austin, TX
    Does it mix without the engine even running? I shudder at the thought of running an engine with water in the oil. I had to do a rebuild on a Mustang V8 many years ago due to a gasket failure and the resulting scoring of bearings.

7. 3g_bishi

3g_bishi Rookie

May 1, 2021
    Full Name:
    Mo Hamadneh
    Nope only running

8. PMiranda

PMiranda Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2004
    Austin, TX
    I haven't been under the lid of a 488 myself, but do the turbos get coolant, or only oil? Typically you'd expect the last thing you touched to be the problem :)
    The next easiest thing to check is the oil cooler(s), assuming it's water-to-oil... you can pressure test both loops for a leak.
    For that matter you can usually pressure test the coolant loop on any engine as a start.
    I have a sinking feeling that the turbo failure caused damage downstream in the intake tract (if it's anything like the American V8's I've worked on in the past there are one or more cast parts where oil and water are neighbors) or in the oil system, where small bits of turbo debris could have circulated to the oil cooler and punctured the thin tubing.