Hairline scratch / swirl removal | FerrariChat

Hairline scratch / swirl removal

Discussion in 'Detailing & Showroom' started by cole328, May 2, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. cole328

cole328 Formula Junior

May 9, 2014
    Hi guys owner of a Nero '07 F430 spider for a 14 year old car, the paint is in remarkably good shape and I maintain it myself (always garaged) I have developed / noticed some hairline scratches in the clear coat in some areas any recommendations on a solid product that can help with this? Rather try to find something that can be done by hand if possible. Thanks for any advce.

2. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
  3. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    3m Trizact 3000 followed by a rotary buffer with a wool cutting pad. Finish with an orbital cutting, polishing then finish.

4. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    I would think that may be too aggressive for the first try - always start with the least cutting / aggressive pad and see if you are happy with results
    Also a rotary buffer is too dangerous for a novice
    I would start with a simple product like scratch-x by hand and see it you like what you see
    Then move up - maybe a one step product may work -- turtle wax came out with a new one step that looks promising but need to use with orbital machine

5. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    I will just sell the car.

tomberlin, Jakuzzi and c8spidey like this.
  6. Bob in Texas

Bob in Texas F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Just East of Weird
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Another option would be to take the car to a professional and have him remove the damage.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

7. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Just remember every time you do a paint correction you are removing some of the clear coat. You can only do this so many times and then it’s all gone.

MANDALAY likes this.
  8. cole328

cole328 Formula Junior

May 9, 2014
    Thanks much for the replies.....there is no "damage" per se just some fine lines I noticed its black, and 14 years old, so bound to happen I will likely just leave well enough alone and enjoy the heck out of driving it@!

9. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    I just used Griots 'One Step Sealant'. It is really easy to use and is very safe. Not really made for application by hand, but I guess you could try it that way if you want. Does a good job of getting rid of light scratches and swirls without being as aggressive as other cutting products.

ShadowLAP likes this.
  10. cole328

cole328 Formula Junior

May 9, 2014
    great thanks much

11. cole328

cole328 Formula Junior

May 9, 2014
    Just bought the one step sealant the video sold me on it thanks for the help!

BT likes this.
  12. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    I think you will like it. Take your time, and borrow or buy a decent DA machine if you can. I followed the instructions in the video and had excellent results.

13. cole328

cole328 Formula Junior

May 9, 2014
    I am going to try the hand route I bought some of the Griot's pads designed for the product wish me luck

14. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Lol. A wool pad on a rotary for some fine scratches? That's a bit much. Especially for a guy who clearly doesnt have experience

Falcon7x and alex like this.