430 - Start up issues... normal? Typically after rain/car wash | FerrariChat

430 Start up issues... normal? Typically after rain/car wash

Discussion in '360/430' started by Dennis_said, May 2, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dennis_said

Dennis_said Rookie

Jan 24, 2021
    Full Name:
    Dennis Nguyenkhoa
    Hey guys! I have unintentionally replicated this issue. The first time I had issues with starting up my car was after I had just moved
    The f430 from the garage to the street because I had to immediately clear up space.

The car sat out and it rained... I went to move the car but it wouldn’t shift into neutral to start. The battery and everything would activate for the push start but nothing happened or registered when trying to get the car to then over.

I played around with the door opening and closing and after a few minutes it registered and started.

Yesterday I washed the car and am careful to not let water directly enter into the back glass (again I didn’t drive the car first, just moved from garage to driveway to wash). After washing attempted to start up and same issue as above!

Ultimately it worked but I wanted to ask is there a correlation to cold engine and rain/wash that would’ve caused this?

Car recently serviced for 30k, new clutch, and clean bill of health.

Thanks all in advance

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

2. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    was your hood open?
    did you step on the brake pedal with enough pressure?

3. Dennis_said

Dennis_said Rookie

Jan 24, 2021
    Full Name:
    Dennis Nguyenkhoa
    Ah thanks for the reply. I don’t know actually. The hood wasn’t open though but unsure if I may have not applied enough pressure on brakes

4. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    if the hood is open im pretty sure it doesnt give you a warning on the dash and the car wont start.
    if the brake pedal sensor is going you need to put all your weight on the pedal to get the car to turn over.
    cld be other things as well but those are the 2 i have experienced

5. Dennis_said

Dennis_said Rookie

Jan 24, 2021
    Full Name:
    Dennis Nguyenkhoa
    Understood that’s great advice and I’ll keep an eye out and see if that eliminates the issue!

6. CoreyNJ

CoreyNJ Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 17, 2006
    New Jersey Shore
    #6 CoreyNJ, May 2, 2021
    Last edited: May 2, 2021
    It sounds like you may have a connector that is loose or something in the engine compartment that is causing an issue when wet.

You should be able to start the car with the rear hatch or even the front bonnet/hood open.

The engine should also be able to take some water on the outside it’s not sealed from the environment.

I cleaned my engine compartment yesterday with griots engine cleaner, a soft brush and a garden hose. After a quick blow off off as much water as possible with a cordless leaf blower there was still enough water around to completely steam up the engine bay and give me flashbacks of normal guy supercar’s f430 fire. But the car still started with the hatch up and not a perfectly dry engine.

I would first bring it back to the place that just did the clutch and all that service. They should check all the connectors in the engine bay are tight.

Good luck,
    Cheers,
    Corey

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

luccio likes this.
  7. vv23

vv23 Karting

Jan 8, 2009
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Full Name:
    V V
    If your pump didnt prime the accumulator, it wont push the car into neutral, and car won't attempt to start. Which is probably why opening the door few times got the pressure built to neutral drop and start it.

I had this issue, turns out it was a weak accumulator not holding pressure. Replaced and fixed.

Qavion likes this.
  8. Gillis Haasnoot

Gillis Haasnoot Karting

Feb 4, 2020
    Leiden, Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Gillis Haasnoot
    I always clean my car with a high pressure washer and ignore the holes. Lots of water entering the engine bay. Never have issues. Should also not be , because your car can survive heavy rainstorms as well.
    Did you do a read?