Premium paints and price | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Premium paints and price

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by GT2goneF, Feb 22, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    yes. for real, Mazda has a bunch of colors that are extremely similar to Ferrari premium color, even with the depth of color.

GT2goneF likes this.
  2. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    His grigio coburn was also the launch color of 812 gts

GT2goneF likes this.
  3. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    actually it's extremely close under the same. like so unfairly close.

4. harrish1985

harrish1985 Formula Junior

Jun 17, 2016
    Miami, FL
    Blu Corsa is actually $12k.

blu electricco which is dual layer is $16k

ryalex and GT2goneF like this.
  5. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    I’ve specc’d my 812 GTS in this color. :)

GT2goneF likes this.
  6. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Just curious...would it be cheaper to spec a car in Bianco Avus and then take it to a high end paint shop for a beautiful repaint?

7. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    That is a good question and quite a risk. I am not sure how I feel about that. There are some (probably a handful) prestigious shops out there that could possibly match or even do a better job. However, they know their abilities and worth and they usually don't deal with Toyotas or Kias. They know what Ferrari charges for paint. I am sure they will probably be close to what Ferrari charges. Maybe it would be expensive to paint a car in , for example, Rosso Corsa (which as you well know, is a standard, no premium color, but you don't know how much Ferrari would charge you for this); than to paint in Fuji. As soon as you roll in a Ferrari, and you mention any premium color, they'll know and all bets are off. However, I would be interested to know. I think it will be nearly as expensive, if not more.

rossodino, jm2 and italiafan like this.
  8. harrish1985

harrish1985 Formula Junior

Jun 17, 2016
    Miami, FL
    I would never do that. You will destroy the cars value and it will never be close to the factory finish which is done by automated machines, hand etc.

Mikael-F360 and rossodino like this.
  9. TheBigDot

TheBigDot Karting

Apr 27, 2019
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I had selected Blu Electrico initially for my F8 on order, then I saw the $30+ USD price, I decided differently...... but wow, what an amazing color!

xBox likes this.
  10. xBox

xBox Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2018
    The Emerald Isle
    IMHO, the 812 wears Blu Elettrico better than the v8’s :)

Attached Files:

11. bobbyd

bobbyd Formula Junior

Nov 17, 2003
    Paid $200 for Blanco Fuji on my Toyota SUV.

The rest of the car they threw in for $41K.

Does that count?

12. spyderman

spyderman Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    Toronto - Canada
    Full Name:
    Spyderman
    you’re probably right. By the time you sand prep and refinish the car you would be saving yourself probably 25K

13. TheBigDot

TheBigDot Karting

Apr 27, 2019
    Full Name:
    Michael

Not sure I wanted to see that. Too tempted to change my order!!

xBox likes this.
  14. Lagunae92

Lagunae92 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2018
    SoCal
    I've been considering elletrico for a while, and will spec it on the GTS. Would like to see it in person!

15. JJEply458

JJEply458 Rookie

Apr 21, 2021
    Full Name:
    Jon Eply
    What’s the charge for Bianco Avus?

16. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    0, It is a standard color.

17. Mrpseudonym

Mrpseudonym Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 7, 2020
    Sydney, Australia
    Are there any issues if you ever needed to repair a car with the triple layer paint like rosso fuoco? Does anyone have first hand experience getting the paint matched?

18. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    Issues??? Well, first you will experience a myriad of symptoms. Surprised, confused, heart rate goes up, rapid shallow breathing, maybe a little chest pain, sweating, anxiety, scared, you will even look for or "want your mommy"; you would think you are having a heart attack. All these signs/symptoms occurs in split seconds. Then you will be angry as hell. That is when you know you are not having a heart attack.

Kidding aside. I haven't had first hand experience on my F8 (I haven't even driven my car yet), and there isn't much out there. I feel because most people wrap their cars entirely. However, I have heard/read that you are pretty much screwed. My first hand experience is with my GLE 63S, which is Designo Diamond White and is the closest thing to Ferrari's TLP. Somebody door dinged me on the bottom of the driver's door, right at the angle and it chipped the clear coat and the top layer of the paint. It did not go through all the way but you can notice the chip As you already know triple layer paints will be a thicker layer of paint than the standard. So when you get a chip, you can't really "touch it up". You would have to paint the entire panel and/or door.

With regards to color matching. That is a tough question. Some colors are harder to match than others. In addition, aging of the paint plays a significant role. So it comes down to the quality of your paint (I always suggest using OEM suppliers/specs) and the skill, talent and eye of your body shop artist. Unfortunately, Red is one of those colors hard to match. I can only imagine Rosso Fuoco. So best advice, wrap the entire car, no matter what paint you have. But if you have a premium color, spend 10k or whatever they will change you for a good quality PPF and wrap the entire car. In the end, you will save a lot more money than what the PPF will cost you and save you from even more grief.

ScottS, gzachary, MANDALAY and 2 others like this.
  19. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Ten years ago if someone would have told me I would wrap an entire car, I would have laughed. I hated those early wraps. Thick seams/lines. Just couldn't deal with it. My 458 I got the Triple-coat yellow. 4k miles, lucky enough to not have had any issues. Then I got a rossa corsa 488 and decided the technology had improved greatly, so I did a front fascia, front fender, rocker wrap. Did't have any issues after @4K miles.

So now here we are 2021, and I once again succumbed to the siren call of the Tri-coat paint. Got yellow again. After much consternation I went 'all in' and had the whole car wrapped!! :eek: Like the old time Grannies covering the furniture with plastic. But I did it. The films have greatly improved over the years, and I'm sleeping easier. In a perfect world I wouldn't want the wrap, because I love to polish/wax the actual clear coat/paint. But at the cost of these Tri-coat paints, I buckled. I'm glad i did. None of this makes any sense, but it is what it is.

Just wanted to protect my paint as much as possible. :rolleyes:

20. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

The films today are way more advanced than they used to be but ild pay more attention on the installer. Great product not put on properly does not look good.

21. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    I remember when this came out and I posted it. I had received my car and was being taken to my car guy for little personalization, etc.. This Porsche's color remains a beautiful one for the ages.

With that said, once I saw my color on the metal; the price concern/guilt not only ceased existing but I even forgot it ever existed. To make it a further stronger testament, my wife was not quite understanding the price premium on the paint. She was probably just ignoring it because she knows how I felt about it and with all likelihood did not want to have initiate arguments about it. There were some vague conversations here and there about the color selection and the price but nothing serious. I had only seen Fuji on the metal (F12) and the Bianco Italia on a 12" plate (which is not even the same as you can see car angle and shape; and how light bounces off giving it different colors and depths). Once she saw the car, she said (I swear), Good job, the car is beautiful, while looking at the car exterior as it was being mounted on the flatbed. She knew the price and at that very moment, its essence took over any materialistic thought process and it made it an ethereal experience. And that is precisely how I describe what I feel, ever time I see the car. An ethereal experience.

AD211 likes this.
  22. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    PPF will have to be removed sooner or later and then you get to worry if you pull paint when removing. That's a lot of PPF when you do the whole car. The installer will not warranty against paint pulling.

23. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    Yeah... Your F8 wearing GTS is extraordinarily stunningly gorgeous!

jm2 likes this.
  24. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    Could not agree more!!!!

25. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    10 years is the cut off for replacing it. You are right, but now I quote @MANDALAY , when he said
    . My GT2 had old 3M PPF with significant yellowing. Placed about 7-8 years prior. He told me the same thing. He could not guarantee that it would not rip the paint. First, it was an old technology product and second, he did not place it. He removed it without any problems. The person should be careful, patient and have the right equipment. If my guy pulled out an old much inferior product. I am sure that these newer ones should be easier, as long as the person has the knowledge, skill, PATIENCE and right equipment.

MANDALAY likes this.