Suspension Lifter | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Suspension Lifter

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Chizz, Apr 16, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. xBox

xBox Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2018
    The Emerald Isle
    False sense of security, plus the need for a 1st person experience and learning I think.......

- approaching a drive entry/exit

- what goes through your mind.....

- 'hey I'm OK, I have lift'

- SCRAPE

- 'wow, I really should have used it'

I mildly touched the rubber fins on the 812 this way, so lesson learned for me.

MANDALAY and GT2goneF like this.
  2. stretchgeneral

stretchgeneral Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 9, 2014
    MA/TX
    Full Name:
    McK
    I ordered the lift for my F8. My 458 had a lift also. I am big supporter and always used it when coming out of a curbed parking lot or speed bump. The last time I used the lift was after a track day at Lime Rock. My right front tire was toast and would not hold air. I had driven the 458 2.5 hours there and had to get a tow back to Boston. The flatbed tow truck, using boards to lessen the angle was still too steep as it pulled the car up onto the bed due to the totally flat right front. I engaged the lift and it just made it without scraping.

jm2, 430jm, GT2goneF and 1 other person like this.
  3. NuorderSG

NuorderSG Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

They have been around for decades....ahem...the Lowriders have them all the way around. A person can install them on their Ferrari and make their car jump across the driveways...forget about crab-walking the car!

Liberty Walk also has a kit.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

jm2 and GT2goneF like this.
  4. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    I destroyed a diffuser fin on my 488 spider backing out of a space. There was a low planter surrounded by stones about the height of a parking stop. The sensors didn't alert them and the backup camera didn't show it. I heard this CRUNCH and thought OH ****. When I got out I was relived to see it was just one fin but still, it cost $1780 to fix.

5. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    LOL!

6. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    I imagine that it was gut/soul-wrenching moment.

wrs likes this.
  7. Kdarew

Kdarew Rookie

Jun 14, 2020
    Full Name:
    Kuma Bear
    Since the suspension lifter only lifts the front, for things like speed bumps, would be better to not use the lifter and possibly scratch the front bumper rather than get over it with the lifter, but then hear a crunch further down on the underbody or rear defuser?

8. stretchgeneral

stretchgeneral Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 9, 2014
    MA/TX
    Full Name:
    McK
    My experience is to activate the front lift when needed, then immediately deactivate as soon as the front is clear. It seems true that if the front comes up an inch, the back tilts down an inch, so you have to make sure when the rear axle line hits the bump to deactivate the lift. Of course it depends on the bump, but the risk to the rear is dropping both rear wheels down simultaneously. If you can be at a slight angle it mitigates the drop to an extent.

9. JonnySK

JonnySK Karting

Jun 28, 2020
    대한민국
    Full Name:
    Jonny
    I live in a city that roughly translates into ancient Chinese as "Many Mountains" (Busan). So yeah, I need it a lot.

I was exiting the brand new, flashiest hotel in the city the other day, and very stupidly lowered the lifter as soon as I had made it out of the basement parking lot. Headed down the mild incline out of the compound - very light, quick SCRRRAPE.

Felt around under the front splitter and sure enough, a few minor battle scars - hoping the PPF took the brunt of it. You'd think, of all places, the fancy hotel would have designed its compound to accommodate Ferraris...

In Korea all 488s and F8s come with the lifter as standard. The Mac 675LT isn't road legal when specced without the lifter.

Need4Spd, jm2 and Chizz like this.
  10. Dijit

Dijit Karting

Feb 4, 2017
    Hampshire
    jm2 likes this.
  11. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

If you had the Carbonio Number plate holder you could have stopped when you heard the crunch. It sits about an inch lower than the front splitter

12. JonnySK

JonnySK Karting

Jun 28, 2020
    대한민국
    Full Name:
    Jonny
    That's a very good shout. Although I've never had a problem using the lifter, even with some pretty nasty inclines - just got lazy with it this time and paid a (thankfully) negligible price. Wouldn't dare get it lowered around here though.

MANDALAY, Art138 and GT2goneF like this.
  13. Lobekay

Lobekay Rookie

Apr 14, 2018
    Full Name:
    Lob Lob
    Amusing, very amusing, this ongoing discussion about the 458/488 lifter system.
    I am about to provoke some with the following:
    1. ironic from people (mainly guys) who are obsessed with kerb weight of their exotic car (lifter system weight, ~22 lbs.)
    2. same guys who pay $7K for a mostly impractical CF steering wheel that starts flashing over 8,000 RPM
    3. same guys who repeatedly pay the monthly fee for the gym membership without using the gym for months
    4. same guys who often neglect (or forget) to use their factory installed lifter system when warranted
    May I suggest cheaper (previously F-chat discussed) alternatives, front bumper protection kit:
    https://www.fabspeed.com/ferrari-488-front-bumper-protection-kit/
    https://www.scrapearmor.com/products/scrape-armor-front-bumper-protection-ferarri-488
    It'd be always activated, not needed a driver to turn it on before engaging a bump

14. JanStuart

JanStuart Karting

Mar 20, 2019
    Sarasota Florida
    Full Name:
    Jan Sirota
    I put on a skid plate from Automods in Sarasota. Does the trick

15. JanStuart

JanStuart Karting

Mar 20, 2019
    Sarasota Florida
    Full Name:
    Jan Sirota
    Automods in Sarasota makes one for the F8 and it costs less

16. stretchgeneral

stretchgeneral Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 9, 2014
    MA/TX
    Full Name:
    McK
    Lobekay, post a picture of the Fabspeed bumper protection on your 458/488 please. I would like to see how it looks. :)

17. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

You realise on thing is that if it crunches HARD it will push the bumper and i dont fancy drilling holes into the spoiler i wish to protect. There is another one but the brand escapes me as it has raised sections that decrease the surface area of the scrape thus having less of an effect on the bumper/ spoiler.

Point 4 is the one that i have seen so many cars suffer. Go figure ?

GT2goneF likes this.
  18. windsock

windsock Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 29, 2006
    Matt L and GT2goneF like this.
  19. JanStuart

JanStuart Karting

Mar 20, 2019
    Sarasota Florida
    Full Name:
    Jan Sirota
    https://automodsfl.com/product/ferrari-f8-tributo-skid-plates/ have them on my 458 and my F8

MANDALAY likes this.
  20. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
  21. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    Ooohhh... I love pot stirrers...

I do not care about the weight. In fact to CF in the exterior. I asked Ferrari to paint my air splitters in Nero to match the roof and I got charged the same amount for CF. nearly all interior CF, not because I like CF but because I do not like the silver/aluminum items, makes it look cheap (in my opinion). Yes, I also got the impractical steering wheel. Again, not for weight or for specifically liking CF, but because I did not like the alternatives. I do not pay for gym membership. I have my own bad@$$ gym. And I will use my lift system because my GT2 doesn't have it and I already had to change the front lip once. So that.... I won't forget to use.

And get the final kick... I will also get Scrape Armor, once it's available for the F8.

RoadRonin, AD211 and MANDALAY like this.
  22. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    I believe you are referring to Scrape Armor, which is the lowest profile protective item in the market and works with factory holes and screws.

MANDALAY likes this.
  23. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    See!!! Indeed...

24. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

Just looked at the web site. They are CDCéd to reduce the surface area but they still are the screw down type :(

25. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    Yes, but it uses the same holes and factory screws. So you don't have to change anything.