is the bubble due to burst? | Page 151 | FerrariChat

is the bubble due to burst?

Discussion in 'Vintage Ferrari Market' started by PFSEX, Jan 18, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    :( I was hoping you wouldn't say that.

2. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    2 ways to pull money out of the economy. Taxes (higher rates). Gubment issued bonds, but the rates will need to be more attractive. This is why I’m skeptical of how long they can keep rates low.

Bradwilliams likes this.
  3. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Stop buying bonds in the open market and start selling bonds in the market thus cutting the money supply available. Less $$$ = higher interest rates and curbs to inflation.

4. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    :)

5. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Problem is that is what is supposed to happen just to get back to what we used to call normal

BMW.SauberF1Team likes this.
  6. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Warning to all:

This is taking a political turn, which isn’t appropriate in the Vintage Ferrari Market Forum.

Matt

Fennicus and turbo-joe like this.
  7. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Unless there have been posts removed, I don't see anything political here. Just a discussion of Economics 101, which is VERY relevant to the collector car market.

8. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    I did indeed remove a political post.

Matt

9. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Hmmmm, I thought/intended my comment to be purely economic having to do with actions of the Fed, a bank that is non political as I understand its charter? What am I missing?

10. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    OK, I found the email you deleted and it was political.

11. intrepidcva11

intrepidcva11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 12, 2009
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Full Name:
    Seth
    Impossible for the Fed to net purchase U S bonds in the open market; with what would they pay? only answer: creating more dollars out of thin air by quantitative easing. For the Fed to do otherwise would add trillions of "dollars" to the already unsupportable national debt. The U S economy may be in an inevitable death spiral.

Which is why people of means are converting their dollars (cash) into tangible personal property of long-lasting value; real estate, old master paintings, rare gem stones, classic Bugattis, Ferraris and Duesenbergs, gold and silver bullion, rare, classic timepieces and such-like.

12. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    You know of coarse, that is pretty much what the Fed does when they buy bonds in the market, increase the money supply. When they sell bonds they decrease the money perhaps not Finance 101 but at least Finance 102.

Hawkeye likes this.
  13. intrepidcva11

intrepidcva11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 12, 2009
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Full Name:
    Seth
    Paul, the Fed has no interest in damping inflation; it is in the borrowing business and will "repay" today's trillion-dollar loans with ever cheaper dollars.

Think Germany one century ago.

14. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    This strategy works well when interest rates are very low but as interest rates increase the absolute "cost" of debt becomes more onerous. As inflation increases so does the interest rate at which the Fed is able to bowwows so that acts as a counter measure to the “pay back” in cheaper dollars, Finance 101. Lenders are less and less willing to loan money to the Fed at cheap rates in periods of time when inflation is on the rise or is uncertain as the inflation risk has increased in those periods.

paulchua likes this.
  15. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    This is exactly my fear... Say inflation takes off, the Fed will have no choice but to raise rates, that's an era of malaise that makes me shudder.

16. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    I agree, however currently the "talking heads" say that inflation is not in sight for the next 18-24 months. But we all know that at some point inflation will come back. The pendulum always swings in both directions just a matter of time, the only question is hard it swings and to what height to interest rates rise?

paulchua likes this.
  17. GordonX

GordonX Karting

Mar 10, 2013
    South Florida
    “It can last a lot longer than you think, it can go a lot higher than you think, and the crash can be a lot worse than you think.” – Henry Blodget

18. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    both so true...

19. 360modena2003

360modena2003 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2009
    Japan has have near zero rates and extremely accommodating monetary policy for over 20 years now, with inflation no where in sight (in fact the Nikkei still has not reached its peak of 38,9000 from 1989 - it's at 27,800 today).

I'm sure many Ferrari collectors remember the run up in prices when the Japanese would buy at any price.

Sent from my MAR-LX1M using Tapatalk

abilliet and Bradwilliams like this.
  20. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Japan has a declining population and are not massive consumers so printing tons of money won't do anything if you have it sitting idle and/or not enough people to move it around. Not the issue here in the US as we have a growing population and over-consumers...very high money velocity. So when you print more you will get higher prices.

I don't see blue chip Fcar prices falling or other collector cars (near 7 figure cars and higher) anytime soon. As said above, these are a storage of wealth unlike the dollar which becomes more worthless by the day. And these are not (at least to my knowledge), purchased with loans and lots of leverage which mid 6 figure and under cars are. I don't see the current money printing ending well...6-12 months probably an asset correction for "normal" assets and not these vintage Fcars. The central banks around the world will have no other way to deal with the next correction other than printing more money which will inflate it up again probably one final time until currency debasement.

21. 360modena2003

360modena2003 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2009
    A declining population is not exclusive to Japan, in fact it is occuring in almost all major economies.

The household saving rate in the US has actually skyrocketed during and after the pandemic.

Sent from my MAR-LX1M using Tapatalk

22. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    populations in non 1st world countries are exploding.
    the only first world population growth is among the immigration population. in a few generations those countries will be run by the newly minted citizens.

BMW.SauberF1Team and JackCongo like this.
  23. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    No other major economies outside of Japan have declining populations (negative rate). Their populations are increasing, but at a slower rate than in the past (still positive growth). Declining populations outside of Japan include Lativa, Ukraine, etc...not major economies.

https://data.worldbank.org/indicator/SP.POP.GROW?most_recent_value_desc=false

24. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    But, the trendline is declining, and this is one trendline that takes decades to change.

25. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    japan is declining because they have a nonexistant immigration policy.

Texas Forever likes this.