F1 Gear Box Failure Warning Light (2004 360) | FerrariChat

F1 Gear Box Failure Warning Light (2004 360)

Discussion in '360/430' started by Silentnoiz, May 2, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Silentnoiz

Silentnoiz Karting

Nov 18, 2017
    Nashville
    Full Name:
    Silent Noiz
    Yesterday, I had driven the car for about 15 minutes, gotten it up to temp, switched to Sport Mode, and drove normally for another 5 minutes.

I approached a round-about, shifted down to 2nd, was going about 20 mph, took a right and got on the throttle pretty hard, shifted to 3rd, and when I requested a shift to 4th gear it did not shift.

I saw that the F1 Gear Box Failure light was on. I requested up/down/neutral shifts, but it would not respond.

I pulled off into a neighborhood, found a spot where a flatbed could easily pick me up, slowed to a stop (it did not down shift automatically), and the car died (as expected).

I restarted the car, and everything was back to normal. No other issues for the rest of the day (no strange shifting, no warning lights) on ~25 miles of back road driving and also in stop and go traffic.

Any thoughts of why this happened, and what I should do? I'm not a mechanic, so I would go to my indy for any diagnostics/service.

I searched the forums, but didn't find anything similar.

TIA!

2. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    You need to find a code scanner and read the error code. That will give you a clue as to what is happening.

EastMemphis and flash32 like this.
  3. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    +1

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

4. Silentnoiz

Silentnoiz Karting

Nov 18, 2017
    Nashville
    Full Name:
    Silent Noiz
    What type of scanner would I need to read these codes? I think an ODBII reads CEL's, but not F1 Gear Box issues? So would I need an SD2/3? What are the best options for the functionality and price?

5. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    According to @WATSON , the Leonardo tool for your one model is $4500. A couple of us on this board have the much less expensive X431 Launch version. Leonardo probably has better Tech Support. There is none for the X431 Launch, but it does work.

6. WATSON

WATSON Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    So why the $30,000 crappy post?

Please explain.

7. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    The Laucnh does not work on the 355F1, period.
    The $4500 is your data point, and I still consider it too expensive.

8. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    OK here's another thought for OP: the reversing lever has maybe lost its locating pins so it slipped a little and caused the light - if the movement is not positive it needs the Hill replacement lever from Ricambi

Silentnoiz likes this.
  9. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Have a look at downloading OUTILS OBD FACILE. from france, this is an obd program you can use with a laptop , phone or i pad. It reads a 430 gearbox and picks up both engine ecu.
    Ask them if it works on a 360. Be sure to order the right program, ie an i pad is the easy one to use. You will need a bluetooth adaptor to plug into the obd socket but get from amazon as same for a lot less. They have a basic and a ultra program which u need

Silentnoiz likes this.
  10. kes7u

kes7u Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2017
    Shorewood, MN
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Please note that the Launch device and other downloadable software only interrogates the newest 360 TCU, or the CS TCU.

Kevin

Silentnoiz likes this.