FORMULA 1 HEINEKEN GRANDE PRÉMIO DE PORTUGAL 2021: RACE ▄▀▄▀▄▀ SPOILERS ▀▄▀▄▀▄ | Page 9 | FerrariChat

FORMULA 1 HEINEKEN GRANDE PRÉMIO DE PORTUGAL 2021: RACE ▄▀▄▀▄▀ SPOILERS ▀▄▀▄▀▄

Discussion in 'F1' started by SPEEDCORE, May 1, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Agree with the comparison from 2020 vs 2021 with 3 races in.

However, in 2019 when it was Leclerc & Vettel AND 3 races in, both had scored 72 points vs 2021 with Leclerc & Sainz both scoring 42 points.

Note: RedBull stepped up with Honda and Mclaren stepped up with Mercedes in 2021 as opposed to 2019.

william likes this.
  2. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

At least this year you can see the 2 Ferrari drivers trying their best.

Recruiting Sainz alongside Leclerc was a good move, IMO.

3. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

I don’t disagree but today they looked to be 3rd best overall, better than their previous 2 showing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Just know a troll when I see one. 15 posts, about half of them dedicated to Lewis being better.

Jakuzzi, kes7u, stavura and 10 others like this.
  5. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    #205 Bas, May 2, 2021
    Last edited: May 2, 2021
    Then point out the racism committed.

Jakuzzi, kes7u, stavura and 2 others like this.
  6. simpen

simpen Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2016
    Bravo to Binotto to find a way to put Ferrari back on the podium!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Meanwhile, Mazepin is everything Stroll is accused of and worse. Even in the Haas, a waste of a seat.

7. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

Certainly a Troll.
    But not a very good one :D

Jakuzzi, stavura, ingegnere and 7 others like this.
  8. PerKr

PerKr Formula Junior

Oct 10, 2007
    Mariestad, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Per Kristoffersson
    I only get to enjoy the data stream watchalong but so far this is looking to be a tight season. Yes, Hamilton won. It's not like Bottas and Hamilton just ran away with it at the start though, Verstappen was right up there in pace, overtaking Hamilton on the restart and taking 2nd in the end, even affording an extra pitstop for tires in an attempt to get fastest lap. It's not the old sandbagging stuff going on where Mercedes suddenly pulls half a second out of their hat taking 1st and 2nd with good margin with Lewis getting fastest lap by a huge margin. This weekend he wasn't even close to getting the fastest lap.

As for Lewis, Toto & co always saying they need to keep working on the car to make it good... That's a winning attitude. The moment you sit back as a team and say "our car is better than the rest", that's when you stop working harder than the competition to find all the little things that make the difference. You don't want anyone on the team to be happy with things as they are, you want them to strive to improve even further.

ktu likes this.
  9. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Leclerc 55 seconds behind the winning car after 66 laps. Thats 0.845 seconds slower per race lap, hardly a gain, qualifying was even worse being 2.2 sec slower than 2020 when the merc was 1.7sec slower.

Even Red Bull and the current hysteria being whipped up by the media in a MV & LH battle was just under half a second per lap slower. Night and day in F! terms, he stands no chance.

Either that Merc has more performance in it and is being held back deliberatley (more likely) or LH is by and far the best driver we have ever or will ever see again.....or both.

Everyone else is just peeing in the wind and hoping to get 2nd spot which they possibly will with a demoralised Bottas in the team

10. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Guys, last weekend we had a solution to all f.1 troubles, just pick some old cars (70s are good) put some oldtimers at the wheel and we've got ourselves a show!
    Please Jean, pick up that b3 again and show this idiots what a race looks like!

fil and Bas like this.
  11. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Did you guys read the bit were Paddy Lowe said in 2014 Merc had the engine turned down all season to prevent the FIA from taking any steps against it? ..and of course, TOTOCRAP quickly showed up calling him a liar, what a scumbag, at least shut up, cause everyone already knew it you fool!

RobertJRB, 05011994, fil and 5 others like this.
  12. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Gotta say lando is doping an impressive job, he knew he was fast but lacked some consistency and racecraft in a dog fight, but this year he's been a revelation!

13. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    I guess the 2nd fools are the ones that exploited the full potential of their engine and drew attention to it.

They are doing just enough to win, no more no less. I would guess that car is equal to last years car in performance and can go at least 1.5 seconds faster. Everyone else is just a spectator.

14. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Probably so, but the usual we're behind, we don't stand a chance against that mighty red bull stinks a long time ago...

15. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

H-Mut is worse than anyone else in team management. Whiner Award winner annually. Had Bottas lost the point he would say NOTHING! Drivers were briefed about this corner before the race.

Marko: Now Red Bull has lost F1 win, fastest lap and pole to track limits
    By: Luke Smith
    Co-author: Norman Fischer
    May 2, 2021, 1:01 PM
    Red Bull advisor Helmut Marko believes “something has to change” with Formula 1’s track limits system after Max Verstappen was denied a fastest lap bonus point at Portimao.

FIA responded - https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/why-the-fia-doesnt-buy-red-bulls-track-limits-gripes/6501737/

As F1 race director Michael Masi pointed out after the Portuguese GP, Verstappen certainly was not alone in getting lap times deleted in the race.

"I think there were a number of lap times that were deleted during the race," he said. "Also there were a few that were deleted during qualifying, and obviously we had a greater number that had less of an impact in the practice sessions that were deleted.

"So I think that shows that we were policing the track limits for everyone equally."

Lewis Hamilton, Mercedes W12, Max Verstappen, Red Bull Racing RB16B

Photo by: Steven Tee / Motorsport Images

While Verstappen was the only driver to lose a lap time for running wide at Turn 14 in the race, 13 drivers had times deleted for running wide at Turn 1 during the grand prix, with a further four (including Verstappen) losing a lap time for running off at Turn 4.

And while Verstappen may have believed that track limits at Turn 14 were not being policed, the FIA had been clear in revised race notes issued on Saturday morning that the corner was being judged.

Masi said: "It was consistent in with the manner in which the event notes were portrayed, particularly the additional version three that went out on Saturday morning. And that was following the discussion at the drivers' meeting about what would and wouldn't be tolerated."

Those Saturday race notes had said: "The track limits at the exit of Turn 14 are defined as when no part of the car remains in contact with the red and white kerb."

So when Verstappen indeed ran past the kerb, it was a clear breach of the regulations.

As Masi explained: "Following a review of what happened on Friday in particular, Turn 14 was being used far more [this year].

"It wasn't an issue in 2020 but became one in 2021. So, as a result, I gave all of the drivers the latitude to use the red and white kerb at that corner in a similar manner to Turn 5.

"However, they were told that if they gained a lasting advantage out of each of those, which there is a number of examples being overtaking a car, faster in a mini-sector, whatever it may have been, that it will be looked at.

"Having looked at it post-race, it's very clear that Max was a) off the track, but b) that he was faster in that mini-sector than anyone, and as a result got the fastest lap of the race, which is a world championship point."

Did Norris get away with it?

Valtteri Bottas, Mercedes W12, Lewis Hamilton, Mercedes W12, Max Verstappen, Red Bull Racing RB16B, Carlos Sainz Jr., Ferrari SF21, Sergio Perez, Red Bull Racing RB16B, Lando Norris, McLaren MCL35M, and the rest of the field

Photo by: Zak Mauger / Motorsport Images

One of Red Bull's gripes about lack of consistent application rules was its belief that Lando Norris had managed to overtake Sergio Perez off track during their battle for fourth place.

Red Bull felt that Norris had gained a momentum advantage when he ran wide coming out of Turn 4 on the safety car restart lap. This extra speed appeared to allow him to slingshot past Perez on the run down to Turn 5.

Perez himself said: "I lost the position out of Turn 4 to Lando. I saw that he was completely off the track - and I didn't defend him – but that wasn't the case, so I misjudged it there. It was a bit of a shame because that cost me my race."

Speaking after the grand prix, Red Bull team boss Christian Horner had said: "Norris passed him fully off the track. Again, another track limits inconsistency."

But Masi says he does not understand Red Bull's complaint on this one, having been asked to look at the matter during the race.

"That was actually reported by Red Bull during the race, and was reviewed," explained Masi. "No, Lando did not overtake Sergio at Turn 4 outside of the track. It was a passing manoeuvre under brakes into Turn 5 at the end of a DRS zone."

16. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Same could be said for the Senna/Prost in the McLaren years or for the Schumacher titles in the Ferrari. Or the four titles of Vettel at RB.

While I agree that this is not exciting anymore, it is nothing new.

william likes this.
  17. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    Not true: the dominant years.
    Senna/Prost 1988 and 1989 ( only two years)
    Schumacher titles (2002-2004) two years
    Vettel 2011-2013.two years
    Mercedes seven years in a row and counting ..
    Just facts

stavura, Jakuzzi, jjmalez and 4 others like this.
  18. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    In other words, looking good for Bottles’ seat......;). Nice block on Checo!

ingegnere likes this.
  19. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    Add to this the fact that the seven years of Merc dominance—characterized by a power advantage built on years and millions spent in advance of PU rules—coincides with the DRS era where overtaking is greatly simplified, unlike in the previous eras mentioned.

stavura, Jakuzzi, SimCity3 and 3 others like this.
  20. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Except you got your facts wrong:

Senna/Prost 1988 - 1991 4 years
    Schumacher 2000 - 2004 5 years
    Vettel 2010 - 2013 4 years

21. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    Again :
    1990 Senna 6 wins Prost( Ferrari) 5 wins
    1991 Senna 7 wins Mansell 5 wins
    2000 Schumacher 9 wins Hakkinen 4 wins ( fight for the title all year long)
    2010-2012 Vettel 5 wins ( title won in the last race twice).

I don’t see how you can compare these years with the total domination that Mercedes inflicts on F1 since 2014..
    And I’m not even talking about the percentage of victory per year to remain modest..

stavura, Jakuzzi, jjmalez and 2 others like this.
  22. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Have to confess 'er indoors reckons i was literally snoring for quite some time, so i can't really make any serious comment here. o_O

Jakuzzi and ingegnere like this.
  23. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    jjmalez said:
    Last four races (including the last one last year) have had the same three drivers on the podium.

That's true for all the years I mentioned. And actually many more.

24. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    you have to factor in Max had an extra pit stop. Prior to that, he was trailing Hamilton by 4 seconds or so?

PerKr and Terra like this.
  25. Giallo 550

Giallo 550 Formula 3

May 25, 2019
    NY
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Nailed it.

Jakuzzi and ingegnere like this.