HELP: 83 qv trouble | FerrariChat

HELP: 83 qv trouble

Discussion in '308/328' started by Matthew 6:19, Mar 28, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Matthew 6:19

Matthew 6:19 Karting

Dec 19, 2018
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Jamie
    Hello friends, looking for some advice on where to start: have a lovely Mondial 83qv... I realize this is the 308 forum, but since its the same motor etc, hoping some advice might be found here as well as the MOondial forum.

Drove to a restaurant to eat. Came out an hour later, won't start. Cranking just fine, but doesn't even try to start. What should I check? Spark? Fuel? Other things?

Pretty much a newbie here but want to learn how to work on this beauty, so assume I have not much more than basic understanding and skills.

Thanks in advance for advice, suggestions, etc.

2. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    Well, unlike most fellows on here , Im not an expert, but I have heard that an issue like your dealing with, is either a fuel issue , or an electrics issue, such as no spark. I guess you can check if the fuel pump is spooling up when you turn the key on . A while back, my 328 would crank but not start, turned out to be the fuel pump relay. Good luck, Im sure you will get a whole lot more useful info from the forum shortly.

Thank you

3. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    First check all the fuses and make sure all the relays are securely on. You might be experiencing an hot start issue which leads to the fuel accumulator if it’s not an electrical problem.

4. Brian Harper

Brian Harper F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2006
    San Jose area
    Full Name:
    Brian Harper
    The spark system is two different systems that share very few parts. They do share the flywheel sensors and a power source. So with a no-start I'd just check to see if you have any spark. As a cursory check if I had spark I'd move to fuel.

Disconnect the blue connector at the fuel distributor with the car in the ON position. You should hear the fuel pump run. That's a good start to see if you have fuel.

Those are the two very quick and easy places I'd start.

BLACK HORSE and Brian A like this.
  5. Matthew 6:19

Dec 19, 2018
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Jamie
    thank you!

6. Matthew 6:19

Dec 19, 2018
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Jamie
    thank you!

7. Matthew 6:19

Dec 19, 2018
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Jamie
    thank you!

miketuason likes this.
  8. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

I would go with the fuel first, it easy to check the fuses and relays. If you have the owners manual, I would suggest looking at the pages with the diagrams of the fuses and relays and what each runs. I have an 83 308 and one time I went to go for a drive and had the exact problem you have.

Jacked car up to get to fuel pump, did a bunch of tests, ect. Then looked at the fuses and changed the fuel pump relay with another exact relay. Car started right up.

I'm sure it's something stupid, but I would suggest getting a couple extra relays(primarily 2 different ones)and fuses to just keep in the trunk for when one may fail. The metal case relays are NLA and the bosch relays are made in Portugal, Spain and other places.
    I believe they are Brown and Purple plastic cases now.
    Lft orig / rt replacement
    0332204101 = 0332209151
    0332014113 = 0332019151

Good luck. The QV motors are strong and pretty bullet proof if you do service and change the belts and tensioner bearing. I do em every 6-years and started using Hill Engineering bearings.

The owners manual for an older Ferrari is actually the most informative OM for a car they never expected the owner to service. If you don't have one there is a PDF file available for free for a 308 and I'm sure for a Mondial.

9. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    That it abruptly quit starting, to me, points to fuel and specifically a corroded fuel pump fuse.

"Brian Harper" has a good suggestion to listen for the buzzing of the fuel pump after unplugging the blue connector on the fuel distributor. If its not buzzing when the key is in "run" position, twist the fuel pump fuse to cut through corrosion. Next scenario, if its fuel, would be a dead fuel pump.

A good way to confirm spark is just putting a timing light clip/sensor around one of the ignition wires.

BTW, welcome to the club!

10. Matthew 6:19

Dec 19, 2018
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Jamie
    THANK YOU!

11. Matthew 6:19

Dec 19, 2018
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Jamie
    Thank you very much, very appreciated.

12. SaratogaCA

SaratogaCA Formula Junior

Sep 11, 2016
    Saratoga, CA
    Full Name:
    Sam T.
    It happened to my 83 308 GTS QV once. It was a blown fuel pump fuse. I replaced it and was fine for a while, but I periodically had issues starting. Eventually I replaced the fuel pump, and it now starts just fine.

13. Lawrence Coppari

Lawrence Coppari Formula 3

Apr 29, 2002
    Kingsport, TN
    Full Name:
    Lawrence A. Coppari
    To eliminate a spark problem if you do not have a timing light sensor get another spark plug, even a lawnmower plug will suffice, and plug it in a spark plug lead. Ground it using a battery jumper cable and crank engine. See if there is a spark.

Matthew 6:19 likes this.
  14. Matthew 6:19

Dec 19, 2018
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Jamie
    Thanks Sam! I have spark, so we've narrowed it to fuel. Testing the pump hopefully later today or tomorrow. I'm thinking it could in fact be a relay. Any advice on identifying the correct one? I've got the manual and need to check, but your suggestions are appreciated!

15. Matthew 6:19

Dec 19, 2018
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Jamie
    We definitely have spark, thanks you! On to the next possibility.

16. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    On the inside of the fuse block cover - shows all the fuses and relays - what does what. BUT there are several in the floor of the trunk - left side ( Drivers Side ) is the Ignition modules, right side ( Passengers ) is the Fuel injection. there is a protection relay - very large one that hangs upside down, and frequently can come un plugged or the fuse in it can blow. check those.

in the trunk, right side, lift up the carpet cover - and then remove the plate with 4 ( 9MM ) bolts I think .... turn it over and you will see a mass of wiring - ensure that the connectors are well seated and the relays / fuse are good.

last place - under floor board of the passengers seat - there are some modules there - but I think in the QV those are for ignition. check that the circuit for the fuel pump is not burned out. this frequently happens on the fuse pannel or with the connectors.

17. Matthew 6:19

Dec 19, 2018
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Jamie
    ok, finally got some time to monkey with this. As mentioned above, we have spark. Today we disconnected the blue connector at the fuel distributor, turned key to on position and we heard nothing. No fuel pump buzzing. We checked the main panel in the front trunk, and relays "appear" to be ok. Might order some to replace anyway, but not sure where to order.

18. Matthew 6:19

Dec 19, 2018
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Jamie
    Tom, thank you. when you mention in the trunk, I assume you mean the small trunk behind the motor. We're not seeing much of what you describe in terms of the plate with 4 9m screws etc... but I'm wondering if that's because I have a mondial and you are referring to a 308. That is my assumption. If I am wrong, I have a couple photos I can post of what we are seeing. THANK YOU

19. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    1984-85 US 308/Monidal have the "extra" injection system stuff in the rear trunk (K-Jet with Lambda).

1983 US 308/Mondial do not (K-Jet without Lambda).

20. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Okay but slow down Hoss. You checked the fuse right?

21. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    yes - I'm sorry, thought it was a 308.... however the Mondial will still have the same setup, but will be in a different place. you are looking for the Fuel injection "computer"... that monitors the O2 sensor, and ensures the fuel distributor stays at 14:1 mix. if you have a shop manual it may show that location. There should be several connectors and then a protection relay that has a fuse in it. on 308's because these items are bolted upside down and the wiring loom gets hard over time, they can bounch and jiggle loose... causing all kinds of running or not running issues. also water can enter the space, and you get corrosion....

22. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    Ok - so you need to isolate the fuel pump circuit. the most likely culprit is a loose connection, connector or blown fuse. the bad thing is this can take a while to locate. sometimes the wires get brittle and simply crack. my hunch is the fuse on either the fuel pump or protection relay has gone. it seems unlikely the relay would go bad.