360 - Feedback on PPI Results | FerrariChat

360 Feedback on PPI Results

Discussion in '360/430' started by Eric Bauer, Apr 30, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Eric Bauer

Eric Bauer Rookie

Nov 2, 2020
    Full Name:
    Eric Bauer
    Hi all,

I'm in the market for my first fcar. I have been looking for a 360 for over a year. I just a did PPI on one with a great spec. Seller represented (and priced) the car as "perfect" and "needs nothing". The PPI came back with the following issues.

I am trying to understand out how good/bad/normal the PPI is. Is the car neglected and I should run away or is this typical (or better) PPI for a 20 year old 360? I would appreciate any advice!

Car is a 2003 spyder with 14K miles and I had the PPI done at ferrari new england. Car has aftermarket exhausts (which shows up in the report). The owner drives it a few hundred miles a year.

Issues
    - Slow down light came on during test drive
    - Top not folding correctly (will not lock into place - the mechanism works otherwise)
    - Cable on top is broken, cause roof to be loose (wind noise on road test).
    - Battery installed incorrectly (cable ends not fully seated/vent not connected)
    - Top Canvas/headliner showing wear
    - Slight play in right rear tie rod
    - Two holes in diffuser - one for for gearboxfilter, one for exhaust (aftermarket)
    - Front tires 6mm rear 5mm, front brakes 75% worn, rear 45% worn.
    - Minor scuffs under front bumper and has been repainted. Passenger side sites slightly proud (original bumper)
    - Rear under panel in fair condition.
    - Aftermarket cats fouled against heat shields for axles. heat shields damaged/inner axle boots deformed
    - Gearbox mount is torn
    - Motor mounts are worn
    - Noise in lower front engine noted
    - Tie rod end and ball joint boots torn

2. lkstaack

lkstaack Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2020
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Lars
    Only run if the seller won't lower the price. a lot. Who knows what's causing the noise in the front? A collapsed tensioner? It doesn't seem that the exhaust was thought out well, with a deformed axle boot and O2 issues. The top's going to need some major work; at least the elastic bands will need to be replaced, as well a cable. If the trans mount is torn, it needs to be replaced; worn engine mounts are to be expected. All in all, it's definitely not "perfect".

3. ScudMarks

ScudMarks Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 22, 2018
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Matthew Mauer
    I see $$$ between mounts, suspension, and top. The motor noise is out of my league for estimation as is the exhaust problems it has caused/will cause. Suspension and mounts are typical for a 360, as is the top. The price in this one better be right, because you will have it in the shop for a month before you get it.

4. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Low ball them... it’s called leverage!

seller knows what the repairs will cost

gl proceed e gusto and valor!!

Skidkid likes this.
  5. Eric Bauer

Eric Bauer Rookie

Nov 2, 2020
    Full Name:
    Eric Bauer
    Thank you all for the fast feedback! Great information.

6. spider348

spider348 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    I would contact Tony Fernades, Autohaus of Boston in Braintree. Discuss PPI with him and ask for a rough cost to repair major items. Tony can have the elastics in the top done reasonably(Did a friends 430 spider), Tony has worked on my 360 spider, major, motor mount etc. Excellent quality and reasonable. Ferrari Factory trained. Good independent shop.

7. Eric Bauer

Eric Bauer Rookie

Nov 2, 2020
    Full Name:
    Eric Bauer
    I'll give him a call today - appreciate it!

8. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    These are the items that would bother me.....

JLF and EastMemphis like this.
  9. wbt

wbt Karting

Nov 28, 2014
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Wayne
    Slow down light very common - easily solved with Technistrada parts

Engine and trans mounts - very common at this age, not too difficult to replace. Superformance or eurospares for the replacement parts.

Tie rods ends and ball joints - these wear so regularly they are almost a service item. Notorious failure point on 360/430. Hill engineering have good improved versions.

Cats - possibly they can be repositioned slightly to clear away from heat shield, otherwise I recommend Top Gear Stockport 200 cell sports cats. I have had on my car for 3 years with no issues. Cost far, far below others too. Only issue is you need to move the o2 sensor position above as the cable doesn't quite reach the new hole, but there are existing threaded holes in the chassis to accommodate.

Engine noise is the one to warrant more investigation to see exactly what the issue is. There's a lot of parts moving in that area of the engine, some very easy to fix some are not.

10. V4NG0

V4NG0 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2018
    Full Name:
    Charles Edward Cheese
    I would run, not walk, away from this one...

11. Sj_engr

Sj_engr Formula 3

Sep 15, 2020
    San Jose
    Full Name:
    dc
    Just take the PPI findings and deduct from the asking price + make that offer.

12. ScottS

ScottS F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 2, 2004
    Winter Park
    Full Name:
    Scott S
    All 20 year old cars have issues, depends on how deep you look. I would share ppi with seller and ask “Are you open to either a price reduction or having these issues addressed ?”

Depending on his answer you’ll know what to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

one4torque likes this.
  13. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Succinct guidance from mr Scott!

14. Eric Bauer

Eric Bauer Rookie

Nov 2, 2020
    Full Name:
    Eric Bauer
    I appreciate all the guidance everyone. Helpful to get objective opinions. The dealer came back with a very expensive estimate for the work and the seller and I couldn’t come to an agreement on the price at this time.

If anyone knows of a gated 360 for sale please PM me!

15. lkstaack

lkstaack Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2020
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Lars
    You dodged that one. Your Ferrari will come around.

Eric Bauer likes this.
  16. cwilson13

cwilson13 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 20, 2012
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    CWilson
    You just missed a red, gated, spider sold on BAT today....for $138k plus the fee.

17. Sean F.

Sean F. F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2003
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Sean F
    The holes on the diffuser are for changing the oil so you don’t have to remove the diffuser. It comes from factory that way on later years. My 02 has the same thing.

18. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    If you identity $20K of issues from the PPI, plan on another $10-20K that they find later. This car hasn’t been kept up, and I’m afraid it would be a poor Ferrari experience for you. Glad you passed.

V4NG0 likes this.
  19. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    There is a low cost gated modena on car guru—. Rebuilt title, 51k Miles, asking 60.

if you are diy this could be cs an option if bought right. Gl