Thank you: Leaving the 348/355 forum but not leaving FChat...here's why. | FerrariChat

Thank you: Leaving the 348/355 forum but not leaving FChat...here's why.

Discussion in '348/355' started by ketel, May 1, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ketel

ketel Formula 3

Aug 6, 2007
    Sausalito, CA
    Gang,

Ketel here. Just wanted to give you a heads up that I sold my gated Swatters Blue/Tan '97 F355 Spider a few weeks back. Some of you may have seen my ad in Ferraris for Sale forum.

My now-former F355 is somewhat famous (infamous?) in 355 circles on the west coast because of what a basket case of issues it was for the first few years I owned it. I think at one point I had 22 CELs and it took me 2+ years of futsing with it before it would pass California smog and was street legal.

Indeed, the 348/355 SoCal Brotherhood club created an award - i.e. the Ketel award - for when the group would assemble for BBQ, drinks and DIY tasks for that event's owner/car in most need. This was an award you did NOT want to get. Anyhow, I got it the first few years but as time went on and my 355 issues were sorted, other owners/cars claimed the mantle. Special distinction went to anyone who didn't actually make it to the BBQ because their 348 or 355 broke down en route. One year, YelCab (Mitchell) drove up with his 348 Challenge on a flatbed. He got a special 2-year distinction for that one, I think.

Anyhow, the car is now sold but I am not leaving FChat or the Fcar fraternity as it looks like I now own a gated 360 Spider. I hope to have it in a few weeks' time. After 9 years with the 355 it made sense to step up somewhat into the next iteration of the V8 line.

While there were some dark times with the 355 where I was ready to push it off a cliff, it taught me a lot and I am a more capable DIY mechanic now. I also really enjoyed taking this 355 that was neglected and cosmetically rough when I bought it (for $38k, imagine that) and, over time, fixing everything and upgrading bits and pieces to where it was running like a top when I sold it to the new owner (who loves it, btw.)

If I don't see you guys on the 360 forum, I wanted to thank the many of you who helped me over the years and held my hand - literally and philosophically - on all the issues I faced during my 9 years of F355 ownership. To be honest, I would never have had the balls to get a 355 if I did not have a forum like this to be my sounding board and shoulder to cry on. I've made some great friends here. Thank you all.

So now that I have changed my jersey to team 360 we can still tease one another about which car is better, etc etc but this forum will always have a place in my heart. Thanks all.

ketel

Pepsi10, JLF, Yassa and 15 others like this.
  2. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Looking forward to solving all your F360 electrical questions on the 360 forum... :D I've just made up a set of wiring diagrams for the F360 Spider. They're not too much more complicated than the 355, but some things that were formerly handled by relays are now handled by the electronics in the instrument panel (which is still somewhat of a mystery to me). The spider roof comes with the usual microswitch problems... only more of them (more switches, more problems) :p

Good luck!

Carmellini, ketel and 308 GTB like this.
  3. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    Ketal !!!!!
    Was a blast , hope the 360 is a ton of fun and remember to stooge on down one of these day :)

ketel and 308 GTB like this.
  4. ketel

ketel Formula 3

Aug 6, 2007
    Sausalito, CA
    Most definitely. Looking forward to hoisting a few cold ones with the stooges!

fatbillybob likes this.
  5. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    Looking forward to your opinion of the 355 vs 360 :)

6. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Oh FOOK, I better beef up on my 360 knowledge. One basket case to another needy case. Ketel sure knows how to pick them. I heard there is a Gold Connector Kit for the 360 too. Are you game JT?

7. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    May have to check out the 360 stuff I can pick one up that needs work. may be a cool masher for sure

8. ketel

ketel Formula 3

Aug 6, 2007
    Sausalito, CA
    Ha, maybe, Professor Mitchell. You know I have a soft spot for finding F cars that need some love and bringing 'em back to their glory. Why pay top dollar for a garage queen that needs nothing? No fun in that :)

But once she's on the west coast (better coast?) you and I will sit down and put together a plan of attack. There are immediate needs and things I will need put off/save up for. Last I checked, my first name isn't Sheik :) Can't wear the numbers off my Amex card so fast.

My Ferrari adventure continues. More to come. Will post pics when she's in my driveway.

ketel

Bertil likes this.