Targa Top Storage | FerrariChat

Targa Top Storage

Discussion in '308/328' started by LTODARO, Mar 1, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. LTODARO

LTODARO Rookie

Jul 14, 2010
    Hi Guys, Totally enjoying my '88 328 GTS (4 months). I read the manual and it does get specific about how to store the Targa Top behind the seats i.e. Targa front down/underside facing rear. Or is it Targa front up/underside facing front of car. Make sense....? So which is it? Or other variation? Thanks in advance.

2. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    Congrats on your GTS! :)

I read quite a few posts about the proper orientation of the stored targa roof panel when I bought my GTS in 2013, and between those discussions and close scrutiny of the drawings in the owners manuals, my understanding (and usage) is that the targa top is stored with the pins down and latches up, with the top (outer, upper surface) of the targa panel facing towards the front of the car.

Hope that helps,
    Gordon

456-boy likes this.
  3. monza75

monza75 Formula 3

Apr 5, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Dan
    +1

4. Crowndog

Crowndog F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 16, 2011
    Fairfield,Pa
    Full Name:
    Robert
    #4 Crowndog, Mar 1, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2015
    It may be that prolonged storage this way may cause a flattening out of the targa top resulting in poor sealing to the side windows when put back on. It seems on my top this has occurred. Pressure of seat back combined with heat. Now when the top is off it is stored in the garage.

5. LTODARO

LTODARO Rookie

Jul 14, 2010
    Got it. Thought so. Thanks again.....

6. GrayTA

GrayTA F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2006
    Deep South
    Full Name:
    PDG
    I do pins down, latches up, but face the fiberglass side of the roof toward the engine and the cloth part toward the front of the car.

Done this for almost 6 years of owning mine. No problems with it.

PDG

7. Rich S

Rich S Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2013
    Monterey, California
    Full Name:
    Rich Saylor
    I don't have this problem at all. This is because when I built completely new seats for my 328 that go all the way to the rear bulkhead I can no longer store the targa top in the car at all, so I keep it in the garage. So sad but at least I can fit in the car... even with the targa top fitted (but not behind me). I'm 6'-4 1/2" tall.

Cheers,
    Rich

8. Rich S

Rich S Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2013
    Monterey, California
    Full Name:
    Rich Saylor
    I just wrote up how I redid my seats to deal with my fitting in the car which also involved the targa roof panel. The new posting (which some might find of interest) is under the thread "REPLACEMENT SEATS".

Cheers,
    Rich

9. Bones2U

Bones2U Formula Junior

Jul 13, 2008
    Ontario
    +2

10. rkljr

rkljr Formula Junior

May 16, 2011
    South of Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    Richard
    I face the interior forward, fiberglass against the firewall. It just fits better as I have the seats all the way back (I am 6'+). Still wrestle with the pins up or down thing.

The best is to just leave it in the garage. Half the time I only put it on as I am worried about someone stealing it.

11. stonker

stonker Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2012
    Surrey UK
    Full Name:
    Stonker
    I do pins up as I think it can damage the pins if they are down. Fits better that way for me and with the inside of the targa facing forwards. Also my owners manual appears to show pins up.

12. jmaz

jmaz Formula Junior

Jun 27, 2011
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Jim
    #12 jmaz, Mar 2, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2015
    I've been storing my targa top with the inside facing forward (which yields more room) and pins down (keeps latches from pushing against seats), but with hard pieces of foam over the pins to take weight off of them. Based on this discussion (and what I now see is recommended in the manual), I need to take a closer look to see whether outside facing forward vs. back and pins up vs. down make any difference in terms of wear and tear.

13. Falcon

Falcon Formula 3

Aug 19, 2008
    New England Region
    Full Name:
    Falcon
    There is a reason for storing pins down and interior towards the firewall. I used to store mine pins up because they marked the carpet in the down position but I bent a latch and it eventually broke. The top will rock against the firewall with the exterior facing it. Additional the cover will not fit properly as it will be wider at the edges.

14. gil308

gil308 Formula 3

Jun 22, 2004
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Gil
    I've done it this way for almost 16 years...

15. Ballie64

Ballie64 Karting

Apr 24, 2021
    UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Ball
    Could you provide more information about your new seats as I am 6'1" and need more leg and head room if possible

16. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    #16 greyboxer, May 1, 2021
    Last edited: May 1, 2021
    Comment is six years old so poster may not still be contributing but you might be able to put a fixed side mount racing seat to both lower and move back seat (as also suggested in your similar thread last week) - bolt patterns on brackets & seats are fairly universal - take a look at Demon Tweeks catalogue

17. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    Rich does not appear to post here anymore but if you search you’ll find a thread where he lays out details of the seats he custom made.

18. jsumnertx

jsumnertx Karting

Dec 9, 2004
    Austin
    Just one note on which part is forward - I had been storing it with the inside forward and found that it would slide so far left and right that the corners of the top would contact the B pillar and slice the B pillar leather. After having my interior re-done, I now only store the top behind the seats with the pins up and the top facing forward. If I'm feeling ambitious, I'll also cover it with the vinyl cover to hold it down.

19. Dave Bertrand

Dave Bertrand Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 24, 2005
    Castle Rock, CO
    In my case the top will never be stored behind the seats. The only time I will drive the car is when it's warm and dry, and I never have passengers, so there won't be a reason to have the roof even in the car. I'll mount it when I store the car for the winter, but otherwise the roof never leaves the safety of my basement where it is stored flat, right side up.

I have no need of windshield wipers either, since I won't drive the car if rain is in the forecast. I'm thinking of just pulling them off the car. I'll certainly never going to use the washer system either.

20. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
  21. ragtop1

ragtop1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2006
    Ontario
    Full Name:
    Larry Warren
    With the pins down, they wore holes in my carpet. It's rarely in place as a roof and I leave it in the garage now for non-overnight trips.

Rosey likes this.
  22. JohnnyTS

JohnnyTS Formula Junior

Jun 3, 2012
    Pretoria East, RSA
    Full Name:
    John
    I've always placed mine with pins-up and top facing forward but I prefer to remove it from car and leave in my home/garage unless I'm driving with the top on...

waymar likes this.
  23. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    For me: top facing front, clips on the bottom.

When I tried underside facing front, wind tended to bounce it around behind the seats. (I don't have a targa cover.)

waymar likes this.
  24. speedcat

speedcat Karting

Jul 26, 2011
    AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    John
    66MK, BLACK HORSE, Brian A and 7 others like this.
  25. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    miketuason likes this.