328 water leaking via overflow | FerrariChat

328 water leaking via overflow

Discussion in '308/328' started by Ballie64, May 1, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ballie64

Ballie64 Karting

Apr 24, 2021
    UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Ball
    Hi Guys my 328 isn't running hot she sits on the mark between 140 and 195 so 170 - 175 I guess. Just noticed its dumping a bit of water via the overflow pipe from the expansion tank cap. The cap is correct bar 0.9 and looks new ish, no oil in water and no water in oil.

I only just got the car so have emailed the garage I purchased from but there not open until Tuesday. The car has an amazing fsh so not too worried.

I was wondering is this a known issue? Do people fit a higher pressure cap on these cars? It could be simply a case of faulty cap or the system over filled? I can't see a mark in the expansion tank or see anything in the manual about water level in tank cold?

2. Ballie64

Ballie64 Karting

Apr 24, 2021
    UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Ball
    Update ....the expansion tank when cold is filled to 3 cm below where the cap seals

3. 4right

4right F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

I have had this issue in the past when the coolant level was too high. When cold, what is the coolant level in the expansion tank? It should self regulate once the level is correct.

4. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    The proper depth of coolant is approximately halfway filled. The level should be right at about the seam inside the tank.

Jbrauer, mike996 and Ballie64 like this.
  5. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    This. Exactly at the seam (when cold, of course...)
    (And the heating should be turned full "on" from time to time)
    Rgds

Ballie64 likes this.
  6. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Update the 0.9 bar cap to the 1.1 bar (16lbs)

Ballie64 and Iain like this.
  7. conan

conan Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2011
    Right, and burp the thermostat housing and radiator to get the air out. It may take a few rides ..

Ballie64 likes this.
  8. Ballie64

Ballie64 Karting

Apr 24, 2021
    UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Ball
    Thank you everyone, I did the air bleed on rad and thermostat and got quite a bit of air out of the rad. I then let it idle and it got up to around 200f the cap stopped overflowing. I think it was a combination of air in the system and was over filled. Seems OK now.

What temperature should the fans kick in ? It got to over 200f and they didn't kick in? The fan switch looks very new....I removed the terminals from the switch and touched them together and both fans cam on so the fans are good. Is there a modified fan switch people use? I am also thinking about putting a manual override switch in for the fans

9. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    My fans kick on at roughly 195F... or, just before the middle mark. You shouldn't need a manual switch hack.

10. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    Mine kick in when the needle on the temp gauge is about one needle width beyond the bottom center index on the gauge. I have no idea what the actual temp is. ;) I have not seen a need for a manual override switch on my 328 in the 13 years I have owned it. The only way a 328 will overheat under any circumstances is if something is broken/not working properly.

Remove your radiator cap and hold it in it's normal position. Look at the small circular metal disc on the underside. If it is spring loaded closed, it is the correct type of cap. If it is dangling open, it is the wrong type of cap for the system and will cause routine spitting and failure to properly pressurize.

Ballie64 likes this.
  11. Ballie64

Ballie64 Karting

Apr 24, 2021
    UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Ball
  12. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    Well - based on my experience, something is wrong - mine come on when the left side of the needle is just touching the right side of the 195 index. BUT, it could be the temp gauge or sender producing an incorrect reading rather than a problem with the switch. Do you have an IR temp gun or a fancy multimeter with a temp sensor probe? If so, measure at the thermostat housing as the engine warms up and see how it correlates to the gauge.

Of course, it could also be an incorrect or faulty switch.

Ballie64 likes this.
  13. Ballie64

Ballie64 Karting

Apr 24, 2021
    UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Ball
    It's worrying me so I think I will just buy a new fan sensor....it could get very expensive if it over heated !

14. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    NO doubt about that!!!

15. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    The owner's manual has a note saying that (sorry, on my side of the Channel, units are in Centigrades) if the temperature reaches 110° celsius (= more or less 230 F) the engine MUST be SWITCHED OFF.

On the whole, I totally concur with Mike: the cooling circuit of the 328 is efficient and not a source of any trouble, unless something is broken.
    Once correctly bled of air bubbles (heaters "open") and with the level of coolant in the expansion tank exactly at the middle seam (which, incidentally, is exactly what the owner's manual says = 6 cms below the neck) you should need nothing, that is not even a 1,1 bar cap, the standard 0,9, if it is the correct one, is perfectly sufficient. Once the system has "regulated itself", it should go on without any trouble whatsoever.

As also said by Mike, the fans should kick in at about "a tad over 195", perhaps 200 (95° celsius to us continentals).
    Again: don't let the temp go over 230 (110° celsius)

Rgds

16. 4right

4right F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Your owners manual probably states that the fans should kick on at 185. Mine tend to kick on at 90 celcius, 194 Fahrenheit. I checked mine with an IR gun and the gauge was surprisingly accurate!

17. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    No mention of checking the fan fuse??

Easy check of fan switch/circuit is to pull the wires off the switch and connect then together. Fan should run.

18. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    My temp gauge would quite often rise to that sort of reading in my 308 QV. I tried a lot of stuff to fix it, nothing worked - then I got an infrared temperature gun and found that the coolant pipes out of the engine were only at 190, even though the gauge said 220, usually without the fans running.

I finally fixed the problem in November - took out the instrument panel, cleaned the electrical connectors to the temp gauge and to every single gauge and bulb connector on the panel, and added an extra ground wire to the instrument panel. End of "overheating" problem, which was actually poor condition connectors to the temp gauge problem.

Try an IR gun to read the coolant pipe temperatures at the engine when the gauge is showing 220...

Gordon

19. conan

conan Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2011
    And the gauge stays constantly below 195 in traffic and highways ? I mean really at one value only, not moving down or up ?

Mine reaches about 180 in a minute or two and only in slow traffic and standstill reaches 195 when the fans kick in.

20. Ballie64

Ballie64 Karting

Apr 24, 2021
    UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Ball
    I think I might of failed to explain things correctly. The engine runs fine when driving it sits at just under 195F on the gauge. I left it idling to check when the fans came in, obviously sitting still at idle it got hotter and the fans didn't kick in! It got to just over the mark between 195 and 250 at which point I got too worried and turned it off....I them checked the fane worked by touching the two wires from the fan sensor together and they work great so I am guessing I need a new fan switch even though the one in there is almost brand new

21. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Standard behavior, I would say; my '89 GTB normally runs "a tad" below 75°c (on the water temp gauge) - which is 167° Fahrenheit - at cruising speed of about 90km/h (55 miles per hour). The needle moves slightly up as soon as I cross any village and has to slow down or stop here or there.
    I use that car to cross a city on the same itineray from time to time, where there are exactly 36 red lights from my point of entry to the place I am going. Depending on the frequency of the red lights and my luck with these being green or red, having to stop or not, the fans might kick in once or twice during the city's crossing; sometimes not at all. Has been exactly the same since I have the car, i.e for the last thirteen years. The fans kick-in at "a tad" above 90°c, which would be 200° F.

Rgds

22. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    Mine does the same. I have been stuck in traffic for over an hour at 108F outside temps. The coolant temp rises to the high side of the 195 index, fans come on for a minute or two, temps drop almost to index below the 195 index then slowly rise again, fans come on...rinse repeat. :) It seems happy to do this all day if necessary.

23. Freddie328

Freddie328 Formula Junior

Jul 29, 2013
    Herts, UK
    Full Name:
    Richard
    That all points to the fan thermo switch - easy fix. Also easy to test if you've an avo, thermometer and hot water.