Azzurro California vs Azzurro Metallizzato on 812 GTS | FerrariChat

Azzurro California vs Azzurro Metallizzato on 812 GTS

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by WineCheeseAsphalt, Apr 30, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. WineCheeseAsphalt

Mar 23, 2021
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    I've been lurking for a few weeks and I'm planning to order my first Ferrari. I've put a deposit down with the dealer for an 812 GTS but still debating the exterior color.

I'm set on a light blue metallic and it had a chance to see a sample of the Azzurro California in the showroom. I saw Celeste in person as well, but it was a touch too green. I've seen pictures of the Azzurro Metallizzato online, but couldn't get a sample to see in person. Curious how you'd describe the differences and if you have any pictures of them side by side? Seems like the California is a bit more blue.

The interior would be black and Cuoio leather, white stitching.

anunakki and ryalex like this.
  2. Jeff3545

Jeff3545 Karting

Sep 4, 2018
    SF Bay Area and South Florida
    Full Name:
    Jeff Nolan
    colors are tough. What you find on the internet is often wildly different than in real life because dealers take pictures with optimal lighting, owners take pictures with smartphones subject to a lot of variation because of white balance and color correction. Samples from the dealer are the best reference sources to go with.

Personally, I don’t dwell on it too much because once you have it you won’t second guess your choice and over time what you appreciate about the color will change. I have a 911 GTS in graphite blue that I was a bit on the fence about when I bought the car but after seeing it in sunshine and night conditions, appreciating the nuances in the paint, I could not imagine having anything else on this car. Trust your gut, don’t overthink it, pick the color that speaks to you emotionally without a filter and ignore what everyone else tells you.

3. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    To me, Metallizato is lighter and icier - think of it being part way between Azzurro CA and Grigio alloy.

same taste as me though, those are three of my favorites.

rossodino and WineCheeseAsphalt like this.
  4. WineCheeseAsphalt

Mar 23, 2021
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    That’s helpful. I think being slightly lighter than California is my preference. Under some light conditions California can be almost a “baby blue”. Seems like Avio Metallizzato is also fairly similar as well, but a much newer color.

5. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    I find Azzurro California to be a very enticing color. It's light enough to be blue in any lighting and dark enough to be several shades of blue in the bright light. Under fluorescents, it almost looks gray. Everyone who sees my car loves the color. It's not flashy in the red sense. It's very lively, yet subdued. The light metallic blue seems to crave a lighter interior. I have Crema. It seems to go well.

2001 gated Ferrari 360 Spider in Azzurro California / Crema
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

migg48, ScottS, anunakki and 5 others like this.
  6. JJEply458

JJEply458 Rookie

Apr 21, 2021
    Full Name:
    Jon Eply
  7. JohnnyRay

JohnnyRay F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2014
    Central FL/NW WI
  8. Boots

Boots Formula 3

Jan 17, 2020
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Jake
    From what I've seen of the two colours, Azzurro California seems to have much more blue in the paint, whereas the Metallizzato seems to be an even less of a saturated blue. If rarity is any value to you, Metallizzato is not a standard colour so you'd have some (for lack of a better term) bragging rights there. Price wise, I'm not sure the difference between the two if that's something you're concern of. Top two images are Azzuro California, bottom two are Metallizzato. Keep in mind that all sets of images most likely have some editing done to them, but I think this is demonstrates the major differences here.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

italiafan and WineCheeseAsphalt like this.
  9. JohnnyRay

JohnnyRay F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2014
    Central FL/NW WI
    Blue Mirabeau is a nice light blue metallic as well...just in case you need more choices...

italiafan likes this.
  10. WineCheeseAsphalt

Mar 23, 2021
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    Thanks for all the feedback. I’ve seen the California in person and it’s a beautiful color. From everything I’ve heard, the Metallizzato is slightly less blue, which I like. I think the silver colors look great on the 812. The Avio looks quite similar as well.

I think it’s no regrets between all three choices ultimately.

italiafan and Boots like this.
  11. Boots

Boots Formula 3

Jan 17, 2020
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Jake
    Yes, no wrong choice is for sure!

italiafan and anunakki like this.
  12. -K1-

-K1- Formula Junior

Jul 10, 2008
    Northern Italy
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Azzuro Metallizzato is one of the most beautiful colours of all time. IMHO. get one with no shields and black calipers

NYC Fred likes this.
  13. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    Enjoy.

https://rossoautomobili.com/blogs/magazine/blue-ferrari-shades-part-1-of-3

italiafan likes this.
  14. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    For 812 with such big fender, I would actually order the hand painted shield. Think about it. 5K for apple carplay and "only" 16k for shield. I'd pick shield.

15. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Damn, so many beautiful blues complement the GTS!
    Timeless.
    Truly, you literally cannot go wrong...like kids..you’ll love what you get.

ryalex likes this.
  16. jr-f12-15

jr-f12-15 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2020
    Tomball, TX
    Full Name:
    John Refalo
    ryalex likes this.