Is there any advantage in balancing the throttle bodies? | FerrariChat

Is there any advantage in balancing the throttle bodies?

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Salami, Apr 30, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Salami

Salami Karting

Oct 31, 2020
    Oregon
    I’ve recently purchased a tool that I needed to balance the throttle bodies on my bmw boxer bike, it’s critical for those machines to stay in perfect balance. Got me thinking though, it’s two TB on the 456gt maybe they also need balanced? Or maybe it doesn’t matter with that many pistons. Just hadn’t heard mention of it on any car actually.

2. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    One of my throttle bodies had to be replaced a last year. I don't believe the throttle body required replacement because it was "bad" as much as it was out of balance with the other one. Rather than replace both with new units, I created a system that would allow me to test and measure the performance to determine which throttle body was bad and what was wrong with it. I used the tool to find a used unit ($150) that matched the performance curves of my best of two, replaced the bad one and nearly a year later, no codes or limp mode.

As for your question about balance. Before my TB gave up the ghost and started throwing codes, the performance of the car degraded. Not the power itself, or even how smooth it ran. It was the hesitation. Before, I felt there was a "turbo" like lag in the acceleration. I think now that lag was the ECU trying to keep the two units in synch by adding a delay. After fixing the issue, the lag is gone.

Here's a link to an article I wrote about the process: https://www.ferrari360.org/2020/07/bosch-throttle-body-replacement.html

3. Steen Jensen

Steen Jensen Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2009
  4. niftyfivefifty

niftyfivefifty Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 5, 2007
    PacNW
    Yes, throttlebody adjustment and balancing can make a huge difference depending on how out of sync they are, how stretched the cables are, etc. Mine were recently done and it definitely gained some power, and drives much smoother.