F430, onboard ECU Recordings | FerrariChat

F430, onboard ECU Recordings

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by JM280z, Apr 30, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JM280z

JM280z Formula Junior

Aug 22, 2020
    Full Name:
    Jake
    Good Afternoon Everyone,

Does a 2007 F430, or any other models, have onboard speed tracking? Like a black box in a plane?

I’ve heard stories that after wrecks they pull that data to void insurance payments or prosecute people. This seems more likely to happen by insurance and prosecutors in a high profile car than the avg guy going 80-90 in their daily.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    Event Data Recorders are not yet required in the US as far as I know,although they are regulated if used . If you look hard enough in your Owner's Manual,it should state if your car has one. My 2019 Portofino has one. Who has access to the data is unclear,with differing state laws. As far as I know,they are activated only if an airbag is deployed.

3. JM280z

JM280z Formula Junior

Aug 22, 2020
    Full Name:
    Jake
    I’m looking at the Cameron Herrin case. The judge allowed “evidence” in trial which was past speed recordings by his car’s GPS, one being 164mph. He wrecked going 84mph in a 40mph zone, killing an adult and infant. He got convicted of murder and sentenced to 24 years prison. Judge said he had a history of speeding so he had intent murder someone because his excessive speed was intentional.

I’m wondering if the old school GPS in my 07’ F430 records past speeds like Cameron Herrin’s mustang did. Not that I ever break the speed limit........

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

4. Circle K

Circle K Karting

Dec 21, 2017
    Full Name:
    KC
    Not speed tracking but does track time on certain rpm(higher range) for each gear. In a way yes if you convert

5. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    If a car is equipped with an EDR,then speed up to the time of the accident is recorded.

6. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
  7. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    All the new models are equipped with EDR, see list;

Image Unavailable, Please Login

This is hardly surprising since In Europe it became mandatory to have one fitted in every new car sold by start of 2022.

According to the new General Safety Regulation announced in 2019 by the European Commission, beginning 2022, all cars, vans, trucks and buses sold in European Union countries will be required to be equipped with an EDR and corresponding readout tools must be commercially available.

USA started this initiative much earlier;

United States

Beginning September 1, 2012, the United States Federal government through NHTSA put in force an EDR regulation called 49 CFR part 563. The US EDR regulation requires vehicle manufactures selling passenger car and light trucks equipped with and EDR into the US market are required to comply with the requirements defined therein. Most vehicle manufactures selling vehicles in the US equip their vehicles with a 49 CFR part 563 compliant EDR. Inclusive in the regulation, the US government states “a tool(s) shall be commercially available not later than 90 days after the first sale of the motor vehicle for purposes other than resale.”

Sent from my CPH2145 using Tapatalk

Red 27, JM280z and Snapshift like this.
  8. JM280z

JM280z Formula Junior

Aug 22, 2020
    Full Name:
    Jake
    Awesome write up! Luckily I have a 1991 348 TS, 2007 F430, 2008 599 HGTE, and 1978 280z…… so I’m good; no EDR.

But, for others reading this, is there a way to disable the EDR?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat