F430, e-diff and tyres | FerrariChat

F430, e-diff and tyres

Discussion in '360/430' started by Rosso_United_1999, Apr 29, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rosso_United_1999

Mar 31, 2019
    Manchester, UK
    Hello all

Delighted new F430 owner!

Little help needed with tyres. My rears are acceptable but are getting on a bit. So I am considering changing them. However.. I spotted this post

https://www.***********.com/threads/important-e-diff-information.59607/

The suggestion by the OP was basically don't change the tyre size on the front. Won't be doing that. However, he also mentioned that keeping the treads at similar levels might also be advisable?

Obviously, with these cars, the rears wear far faster than the fronts. So how on earth is this managed? How do people here manage the tread levels between front and rear?

I ask because I have relatively new (but not brand new) fronts, and then I'd be sticking on brand new rears. Is that OK? Or do I change all 4? (not exactly keen on latter as the front MPSSs are in good order!)

Next issue.. What would people say about putting different brand (Goodyear F1) rears to go with MPSS fronts? I could get 4S (MPSS are hard to find), but F1s are really well priced. Both are straight tread patterns.

Please let me know about the dos and don'ts here!

Thoughts welcome, cheers

2. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Mine ran fine with part used fronts and new/worn rears- its not a 4WD. If you had Pirelli on, then the front tyres are specific, ie they are directional.
    michelin pilot sport is a good one that is popular. Dont know re good year

3. Snapshift

Snapshift Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 31, 2020
    Centralia IL
    Full Name:
    Lyle D. Pahnke
    My 430 came with 2 different tire brands front and rear. slightly worn but good Bridgestones front, and new Hankook rears. Proper sizes etc, no E-diff problems, good handling but sl slippery when wet. I think the F1 Goodyears would be fine based on my experiences and may consider them myself. My car originally was sold with Goodyear run-flat tires. If you plan on tracking it there are probably better options and/or different opinions, but for ordinary highway use I dont think there would be a problem. Besides if the rears don't last as long, maybe less expensive would be the way to go. I know everyone likes the Michelin Pilot SS though but for ordinary use I see no problem. IMHO

4. Rosso_United_1999

Mar 31, 2019
    Manchester, UK
    Great! Appreciate that

Yep, won't be touching wet roads. It's not much fun in a Fez :eek:

5. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tyres (as opposed to Michelin Pilot Sport 4) are fantastic for all purpose use (dry, wet, hot, cold, great grip, good comfort). F1s are also good and have nice firm sidewalls and sharp response but not the overall sophistication of the 4Ss.

most Ferrari tyres I think end up timing out on age rather than wear (rear) so your question is often moot.

If I could experiment, I might try F1s on the fronts for sharpness, PS4Ss rear for grip and that amazing suppleness over imperfect surfaces when putting power down. But that might be weird, with different sidewall stiffness front and rear, don’t know.

I dumped four nearly new P Zeros for PS4Ss all round, best money I spent. Different league. P Zeros are seriously behind the curve now for proper use and need big investment from Chinese owners. But they post good gs in perfect/track conditions, so manufacturers still use them.

6. Rosso_United_1999

Mar 31, 2019
    Manchester, UK
    Thanks for that. I plumped for the 4S in the end. Twice the money but there we go.

Talk of e-diff sensitivity made me think I should try and match as best I could + I do tend to drive pretty hard on road so may as well get the maximum performance available

Still wondering if there are any people out there monitoring their tread depths constantly? I can't quite believe Ferrari techs didn't take into account the fact tread depth can differ when they engineered the e-diff?

f355spider likes this.
  7. nickorette

nickorette Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2017
    Canada
    It's a precision driving machine, not a Prius. Your tires are literally the single most important part of that equation. Don't cheap out, put fresh (under 1 year old) MPS4S tyres on all 4 corners -end of story. When they get to 6 years old or 50,000km then replace all 4 tyres.

8. craze

craze Formula 3

Mar 5, 2021
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Michael
    The inner edge of rears always wears quicker

I go through 2 sets of rear for one set of front normally

My car had fitted 235, i went back to 225 as im pretty sure ferrari knows best

Also removed all the wheel spacers from my m cars