“These things are so much like corvettes these days” | Page 2 | FerrariChat

“These things are so much like corvettes these days”

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Husker, Apr 8, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. intrepidcva11

intrepidcva11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 12, 2009
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Full Name:
    Seth
    Right on ...........I paid $25,000. in 1978 for my first (pre-owned) 1967 Ferrari 330/365GTC speciale, another $25,000. for total mechanical restoration, $9,000. for metal-up custom lacquer exterior and $2,000. for new Connolly leather interior. She was sold in 2007 at Gooding's Pebble Beach auction for $345,000. + buyer's commission, resold in 2009 at Bonham's Scottsdale Auction for $800,000. + buyer's commission.

I've also had an F355 berlinetta that I sold after less than a year's ownership (too many cars) for $10K more than it cost me.

Texas Forever and Husker like this.
  2. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    Bingo. A lot of these Ferraris that are considered mass-produced are still very rare in the scheme of things. If you buy a Ferrari that’s at least 20 years old, it is unlikely you will lose money on it when you sell if you keep it in good shape.

Years ago I bought a 1982 308 GTSi and was occasionally lampooned for buying a poor man’s Ferrari. Well, they’ve at least doubled in value since those days. I wouldn’t call a Ferrari an investment, but it’s a heck of a lot cheaper to own than a late model Corvette.

3. nicholasn

nicholasn Formula 3

Nov 7, 2013
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Nicholas
    ^in regards to the past few posts: how many of those 20+ year old Ferraris have even 20k miles on them. Cars that sell for more than they were originally bought for usually aren't driven much. I am not a big fan of the C8...I don't think the proportions look right, and I don't like the absence of a manual transmission. However, at least here in North Carolina, Corvette owners seem to drive their cars very regularly (if not daily). I mean I pulled up C7s for sale on Cars.com, sorted by high mileage, and am three pages in and haven't even gotten below 55k miles yet.

4. DIGMAN52

DIGMAN52 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 30, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    Philip C
    It will depreciate like a normal $80k car, versus a Maclaren / Lambo / Ferrari dropping that amount of money in 2 years or less.

I loved my 355 Spider and Cali Plus 30, but both had mechanical issues that cost a bunch, or would have if we hadn't extended the Cali warranty for $4,500 / year. I wouldn't own one out of warranty without it now.

The C8 is not a Ferrari, nor sound like one, but darn if it doesn't drive as good as one in my opinion.

It's just nice that Chevy and Ford with the GT's, have chosen to spend money on performance cars, in this world where their future may coming to an end.

Boomhauer likes this.
  5. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    Another point to be made is that in a business situation like this the rep. should of just complimented you on your car and left it at that since you are a potential customer.

6. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    I have owned 6 Ferraris raced 1 still own 1. I have only owned 1 vette for 5000miles and turned it into a racecar. You can do things in a vette you just can't do in a Ferrari. All you have with Ferrari is the cool factor. As I age there is no question I'll buy another vette before I buy another Ferrari. I'm just too old to put up with the Ferrari BS anymore.

7. Rory J

Rory J Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 30, 2006
    Amazing how little it takes to get some people worked up.

And how does a $60k Corvette depreciating to $30k eventually make it worse than a $200k Ferrari depreciating to $100k?

These are just cars, don't take them too seriously.

8. Stev-o

Stev-o Karting

Sep 18, 2020
    Central Texas
    Full Name:
    Stev-o de Italiano!
    Why choose between an F-Car and a C8? Simply have both!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

It was a fun day recently driving both and comparing them, here are my thoughts:

-The 360 sounds awesome and "better" than the C8 [even w/Z51 pkg]
    - The C8's double clutch is absolutely brilliant.
    - The 360's body is a work of art.
    - The C8's fit and finish is world class.
    - The 360's single clutch is old technology
    - The C8's motor is barely visible through the glass
    - Both cars are so much fun to drive, I love them both! [and cost about the same money]

9. PA32Pilot

PA32Pilot Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 5, 2020
    Glendora, CA
    Full Name:
    Jamie Kirk
    I want to get a C8 to drive daily but probably not for another year or two. The premiums people are paying for them remind me of the PT Cruiser phenomenon.

10. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    "For a visceral experience the Ferrari is the car, for a daily driver it’s Corvette"
    Why have a sportscar if not for the viceral experience. We add that in any street enviroment except maybe 0-60 a already 360 has more performnce than can be deployed on the road.

11. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    but only one of them has a warranty. ;) :D

12. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    C8 hate is silly. I had a 458 and C8 simultaneously and the C8 is a better car. I’ll have a 765/992 Turbo S/C8 simultaneously and have zero plans to dump the C8.

A C8 would absolutely demolish a 360 in every single respect.

13. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Very interesting to hear your opinion on 458 vs C8. What was it about the two that favored the C8? I would hope the C8 is a better car than the 360 considering the 360 is over 20 years older...458 vs C8 though is a little more confusing for me. Did you have to have your 458 transmission replaced or something?

14. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    No, 458 was flawless mechanically. I’ve had 2. But the tech is pretty bad. It didn’t bother me in 2015 but today it’s way behind especially the phone integration or lack thereof. The 458 is quick and sounds good but the Vette is more comfortable, also sounds good and is more or less just as quick. The 458 felt quite light and floaty above 120 mph and the acceleration drops off pretty fast once you get over 100. The steering wheel also feels ginormous after driving the Vette back to back.

Plus the Vette is a convertible and to me that just sealed it. As far as convertibles on the market go I don’t think I’d choose another. For one, I don’t like soft top convertibles. Secondly, at a certain speed all convertibles are dominated by the presence of the wind so I don’t need a convertible with 720S/F8 speed. Sports car speed is better, for me. My 765LT and 992 TTS will provide the high end performance when I want it.

Boomhauer and BMW.SauberF1Team like this.
  15. intrepidcva11

intrepidcva11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 12, 2009
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Full Name:
    Seth
    My GTC was a car originally owned by the CEO of Pirelli SpA that the Company used to test tires; had to have had 30,000-40,000 km on it when I bought it.

16. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    I don't know about that...a 50s, 60s, 70s, or even early 80s Ferrari is worth a big ol' chunk of change even with a missing odometer.

17. Extreme1

Extreme1 Formula 3

Jun 27, 2017
    Santa Clarita, CA
    There is no passion in a Corvette, no racing history, no Italian flair.
    It’s like comparing a Gold Wing to a Harley. The Honda is a better bike, but I’ll chose the Harley every time.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

armedferret likes this.
  18. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    I'll take "how to show you're not a race fan in 3 words, Alex"

19. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    #44 BJK, Sep 16, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2021
  20. jc1

jc1 Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2021
    Greenville, SC
    Full Name:
    Joey (2012 458 Spider)
    The C8 design is too busy and over the top. It's a blatant copy of the 458/488 but just plain ugly.
    The lack of tech/ simplicity is what makes the 458 special. Everything you need and nothing you don't.
    Don't even get me started on the interior of the C8... :eek:

21. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    I'm a track guy. I will own a C8. I never considered the vert until seeing THE MAYOR'S up close. The vert looks better than the couple top up or top down. I'll still go with the coupe because it will be on track but dang that vert looks good.

22. RudyP

RudyP Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

So much defensiveness... IMO, I celebrate GM's achievement with the C8 and the positive response it is generating. We need more sports car enthusiasts of all types. These people are on our side! It's the Teslas of the world and the politicians trying to outlaw ICEs that we should be fighting with!

Rory J and arizonaitalian like this.
  23. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    Just wait for z06 version. That motor might make it more desirable than a pista. 600++ hp and 9k rpm with that sound? Will be last of the best. A forever car (as long as it doesn't blow itself up in process). Even the snobs will have to give props