Door speaker chrome grilles - maybe reproduce? | FerrariChat

Door speaker chrome grilles - maybe reproduce?

Discussion in '308/328' started by Du_Man, Apr 23, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Du_Man

Du_Man Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 23, 2003
    Dallas, Texas
    Full Name:
    Derek
  2. TurtleFarmer

TurtleFarmer Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 13, 2020
    Full Name:
    Jason S
    Heh. I literally just started working on designing a new replacement this week :)

I'm missing the passenger side and these seem nearly impossible to locate. The new design is something similar but diff't.

An identical version would certainly look pretty cool in billet aluminum, but they'd be wicked expensive -- and I'd probably just chromate (or ano) rather than replicate the paint as it'd be a tragedy to cover up the billet. Stamped like the originals would be nice, but even more wicked expensive for setup. So working on a design that can be easily 3D printed. Similar shape to original but diff't pattern. Will post once there are a few options.

Du_Man likes this.
  3. Miklas

Miklas Karting

Dec 10, 2018
    Luxembourg
    I would be interested in a pair for a 1979 GTS. One of the previous owners decided to make a hole and fit speakers in mine. :/

4. Du_Man

Du_Man Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 23, 2003
    Dallas, Texas
    Full Name:
    Derek
    You have some basic measurements....length, width, slot widths, etc?

5. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    I have a CAD model made.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

it's interesting that the passenger side above has the holes in a different place. My model was patterend after a '79 carb'd car.

sjd

6. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    My 1981 was bought by my father in 1985. The speakers are simply holes in the leather.

Matt

7. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    The carb'd cars were the ones to get the fancy style grilles. They resemble Daytona grilles, but the Daytona ones are about 3-4" longer, and slightly different extrusion profile.

sjd

8. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Thank you!

steved033 likes this.
  9. Du_Man

Du_Man Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 23, 2003
    Dallas, Texas
    Full Name:
    Derek
    Wanna share the 3d model with me? :)

10. Du_Man

Du_Man Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 23, 2003
    Dallas, Texas
    Full Name:
    Derek
    Even though I have the 1980 GTS.....I got to have the chrome grille!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

The Speaker area is just mangled on both doors.....halfway thru welding my homemade recessed panel.

I guess someone just needed 6x9s speakers in 1992! But here in 2021, I see some 6.5" Focal speakers in my future! with chrome grilles.....

11. Du_Man

Du_Man Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 23, 2003
    Dallas, Texas
    Full Name:
    Derek
    I'm going to see if I can get the shape CNC'd with using 3/8" aluminum sheet or ......CNC black Sintra as the base and then add polished aluminum strips to the top.

Maybe you 3D print and add polished metal laminate strips to the top grooves?

12. Miklas

Miklas Karting

Dec 10, 2018
    Luxembourg
    I don't have access to my car right now but the 3D model posted in the thread seems about right.

13. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
    I did the drawings and got quotes from a few places 2-3 years ago but then someone else here in the UK or Ireland made a few and I didn’t want to affect his sales so I stopped. If there is any demand I could check if they will make a small batch— maybe trade you a pair for a fuse box Jason :)

14. lm2504me

lm2504me Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Nipomo, CA
    Full Name:
    Richard
  15. Du_Man

Du_Man Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 23, 2003
    Dallas, Texas
    Full Name:
    Derek
  16. lm2504me

lm2504me Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Nipomo, CA
    Full Name:
    Richard
  17. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    I sold mine as I had not put them or speakers back in when I redid the interior. But mine weren't in perfect shape and someone had drilled holes in the solid corner to add a tweeter there. The stereo in my car when I bought it was a complete hack job. The chrome amp was screwed to the rear firewall right between the seats.

18. Du_Man

Du_Man Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 23, 2003
    Dallas, Texas
    Full Name:
    Derek
    lm2504me likes this.
  19. Sigmacars

Sigmacars Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Toronto
    If you 3D print them in ABS then you can Crome plate them just like the do the name plates on cars now,
    Paint black and wipe the front face to expose the crome

20. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I have new biaxial speakers that I think require they protrude from the door.

So, I will be removing my OEMS to fabricate a base plate for these new nicer speakers.
    I would be willing to loan them, if it expedites this project.

Wheels1 had a set off his Group 4 Rally oproject that's the last time I have seen them in the market.
    but FerrParts has broken up a 1978 recently maybe check there...
    Alan

21. Du_Man

Du_Man Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 23, 2003
    Dallas, Texas
    Full Name:
    Derek
    I appreciate the kind offer! But I have good dims from Richard and another that I have created a really good 3D model!

22. Du_Man

Du_Man Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 23, 2003
    Dallas, Texas
    Full Name:
    Derek
    I'm going to see if I can create them from a 1/8"/3mm aluminum sheet.....won't have the look of being stamped if I CNC rows and drill holes but should create a likeness. Going to explore at first what resources/tools I have at work or nearby that can assist me! I'll post when I have a direction!

23. TurtleFarmer

TurtleFarmer Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 13, 2020
    Full Name:
    Jason S
    So I've spent a bit more time looking at these grilles (and enlisted the help of one of my colleagues at work).

Few conclusions on the original manufacturing:
    - The grilles started life as an aluminum extrusion (as suggested by @steved033 )
    - The left and right edges were cut on a bandsaw (unclear how accurately) and then corner rounded and cleaned up on a sander/buffer
    - The slotted speaker holes appear to be manually machine punched. They are not well aligned with each other, spacing is not consistent and they are different from part to part. These were definitely not made with any sort of automation or even a (accurate) jig. Likely some very sad Italian intern sat day after day, punching 130 holes into every grille--just so you could have a pretty car to enjoy.
    - The mounting holes also appear to be manually drilled. Beside the obvious difference on the one mounting hole in the lower, front corner (in some it's in the first recess and in others its in the third recess), even the other ones aren't offset from the corners consistently across all the images that we've seen. Also, if the slots were manually punched, the mount holes were definitely manually drilled.
    - The black was painted (you can see the overspray on the underside and edges).

So, for creating a solution for the community, the mounting holes should probably *not* be drilled out. It's likely these will vary by vehicle. Obviously the slotted hole array will be consistent b/c either CNC or 3D print will make it so.

Lastly, @derekw definitely think it's worth seeing if the UK folks are still making or interested in making (and happy to make a fuse block trade :) ). Again, I'm guessing a CNC version of these will be in the $500-600 per grille range, which is a bit ridiculous (but would be excited to be wrong on the cost). And again, if you're gonna spend that kinda money, I'd go for a slick chromate ano (or other) rather than paint half of it black. It should be a felony to put paint on machined finished parts.

@Sigmacars idea of chrome plating 3D print plastic is an interesting idea. However, likely quite a bit of iteration required to get the right finish. Chrome might be a bit too bright (maybe silver or nickel), 3D print finish experiments (sand smooth required before plating, material, resolution, etc) and so on.

The CAD is pretty simple and I still might try to convince/bribe one of the folks at work to fire up our CNC with some AL rem (in which case the cost hopefully drops to a case or two of beer). But that's not a particularly scalable method of creating these since I'll only get them to make one for me. I'm still leaning towards a completely diff't surface design, all w/3D printed black plastic (likely PA12, since its a lot more thermally stable than ABS).

Du_Man likes this.
  24. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
    I checked and it's over 2.5 years since I looked into this. Any grills he had must be sold by now given the ridiculous prices originals are selling for. I think my quotes were about £100 each. I have sent off some emails to my usual suspects and will let you know what I find out. cheers, derek

TurtleFarmer likes this.
  25. TurtleFarmer

TurtleFarmer Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 13, 2020
    Full Name:
    Jason S
    Thanks Derek.

Once the CAD is reasonably close, I'll definitely send out for quote -- altho I'm not hopeful, if they come back around $150 a piece that'd be brilliant!