How secret do you keep your car collection? | FerrariChat

How secret do you keep your car collection?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by PMiranda, Apr 28, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PMiranda

PMiranda Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2004
    Austin, TX
    I get enough grief from casual acquaintances for having a BMW that I've only told a couple real gearheads that I'm getting a Ferrari. I'll probably avoid telling most people indefinitely. Is that crazy?
    I definitely don't want to rub it in the face of the young folks at work that are excited to get their first new car of any kind, but I'm curious how long other people took to get used to having an exotic, even if it is several years old and not the top of the line?

2. Twosherpaz

Twosherpaz Formula Junior

Feb 25, 2014
    Thermal, CA
    Full Name:
    Private
    I do no social media except here.

I have learned that no benefit is derived from people knowing you have money, in whatever form. Telling that to those with new money is like talking to a wall.

It sounds like your casual acquaintances are young and jealous people. As I get older, the immaturity of those jealous of your success in life is more apparent and less appealing to be around. They are small people void of the ability to see past material possessions. If such an unimportant thing as a car somehow causes them to give you grief, then what exactly are you hanging around with them for? Certainly deeper issues you will come across in life require a level of friendship far In excess of their ability to provide or comprehend.

I like sharing my private car collection with car aficionados. I am blessed to find those at the Thermal Club, Ferrari Challenge and XX events, at F1 races, at local garages and dealers. I tend not to do cars and coffee events as it is a different vibe. More of a look at me and take pictures feeling as compared to sharing the joy and stories about cars and tracking them. Each event and group of people are different. Discernment and trust are important.

I do not blame you for keeping your collection private around those people and others like them.

futurelegendyyc, Bas, JSP and 42 others like this.
  3. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    The quoted definitely is one of the sage advices I have read sometimes. No need to tell others unless you want to test the friendship. Worse to let acquittance know. I look at fchat at work downtime. I remember my coworker one times literally said to me why are you looking at cars you can never afford to buy. Couldn't tell if he was mocking me but I just chuckled. Who cares what other people think, but surely it won't be good when he finds out I have more than one at the same time.

rampante550, ChadR, Npieko and 7 others like this.
  4. JJEply458

JJEply458 Rookie

Apr 21, 2021
    Full Name:
    Jon Eply
    Interesting thread. There are some people who love cars so much they are happy to know someone with an exotic and to talk to us about it. I’m happy to share in that situation. I have generally kept my cars a secret and this behavior was confirmed not long ago when a close acquaintance came over and saw my cars in the garage and started asking me very pointed questions from what did you pay for that to how do you afford it to essentially being both jealous and critical at the same time.

I love driving my cars but do so for my enjoyment and also don’t mind bringing smiles to those who see it and enjoy it. I get questions all the time about the car and it’s brakes and sounds and happy to talk anyone with a remote interest in it. Oddly enough, my acquaintances (not friends) have been the ones I’d rather hide it from due to the critical questioning and envy. We have been blessed to have the ability to drive such beautiful machines. That always unfortunately comes at a price to our privacy. Maybe that’s why many Ferrari drivers keep them garaged and as occasional cars. I had one guy say straight up (he didn’t know I had exotics) that if someone he knew drove up in a Ferrari that they’d lose 50% of their friend circle immediately:

5. vdm9

vdm9 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 11, 2014
    long island new york
    Full Name:
    vasilios
    What car collection? First rule of car collection is there is no car collection...
    Even when asked to show a special car at events. - the owner is listed as anonymous.
    Zero social media except here. We are building a 'special' car now that the builder wants to put on social media and I only said yes if I am not listed as the owner.
    Zero benefit from showing or flexing as it were, I feel these are for me and my immediate family to enjoy. People get funny when they encounter exotics, fancy homes, yachts, etc and start attaching dollar signs to everything. They don't know what it took to get there... And there is always someone with more!!!
    Above all, I value my privacy ...
    vdm

6. JJEply458

JJEply458 Rookie

Apr 21, 2021
    Full Name:
    Jon Eply
    I absolutely agree, zero social media!!

LARRYH, NürScud, Lusso123 and 2 others like this.
  7. A12pilot

A12pilot Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 11, 2018
    DFW
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Great reply. No social media F-Book, snap this, twit that, or whatever else there is. I only do forums that I have a genuine interest in and mainly that’s used for knowledge and education then out of that, good acquaintances usually form. I don’t discuss money or how much things cost with any “friends”, except ones that may ask due to them wanting to purchase a similar item and researching the costs involved. An example would be aircraft ownership.

Not withstanding beaming pride in what you’ve accomplished, never let anyone make you feel ashamed or embarrassed about what you may own compared to them. Anyone with any decent morals or ethics inside them actually understand this and never question what others have.

Usually when showing items like cars in a collection, I reserve that to others that have them as well mainly due to appreciation gushing rather than jealousy and bitterness. Of course I love to share and educate to whomever will listen, but I tend to stay away from the local coffee and cars and such since some of the riffraff just can’t seem to be respectful of others possessions. I restore cars on the side and do everything (paint, bodywork, metal, mechanical, etc, etc) and have shown at major shows and am the first to spend hours talking to someone about what I’ve accomplished and created in hopes of getting them excited about them restoring their car. I guess it’s also a twofold. Show your collection as a bragging right to show you’re better than others then expect the fallout that comes with your actions. I feel most here would never do that, but there are some out there that never grew up and left the Cro-Magnon stage of life.

Cheers
    Dave

8. 32 Ford

32 Ford Karting

Jan 31, 2021
    vancouver
    Full Name:
    Mike McGowan
    I am in the Zero publicity group. Heck I don't even like opening my garage doors in case someone might wonder what's in there. To much equipment, to many rare (to me) personal memorabilia, cars I could not ever replace. (My 32 Hot Rod) and too many thieves. A few close friends and family know but that's it.

9. PMiranda

PMiranda Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2004
    Austin, TX
    When building my new garage every contractor asked me what I was going to do with the space. I told them all I like to work on old cars because everyone that works with their hands can appreciate that. And it's true, I do want to work on old cars, I just don't have that much free time yet. Sometimes I have trouble reconciling my appreciation of both garagejournal and ferrarichat :)

ChadR, bball16, alex and 2 others like this.
  10. Dave Bertrand

Dave Bertrand Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 24, 2005
    Castle Rock, CO
    Any expensive car, but especially a Ferrari, is far more likely to garner resentment than admiration. Driving it around and showing it is usually perceived as a conspicuous display of wealth. I think it's one of the reasons Ferraris don't leave the garage as often as they should.

In my neighborhood, the majority of cars are American trucks and SUVs. The foreign cars are Japanese or Korean. About a quarter of the houses have a flag flying from their porch. I have yet to see any sports car in my community, much less an expensive one. I recall seeing one BMW, but it was at least 5 years old. Even my modest Ferrari, a 328, makes me a little uncomfortable taking it out. It's relatively understated in black, but I drive it very slowly to try to sneak it out of the neighborhood during times when most people are inside. I've decided to install a Tubi exhaust, though I know that will just make me even more sheepish.

I imagined what it would be like if I had a 458, 488 or F8. It would be wholly out of place around here. It just wouldn't fit in at all. The kind of people who live here, nice as they are, might also perceive me as not fitting in, and distance themselves. As they say, birds of a feather flock together. People prefer other people who are like them. A $200k-300k car would demonstrate loudly that I am not like anyone else in the neighborhood.

Rosey, Lusso123, Wikdstrate and 3 others like this.
  11. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    Acquaintances, work colleagues and clients; absolutely not. No public social media posts either, only closed/ private groups etc.

I only do selected events; generally through one of my clubs I’m a member off; not the open to everybody events.

Whilst mine are only worth about as much as a new suv, you can’t explain that to people, so not worth it!

The garage door is also never open with trades people about; price seems to go up otherwise!!!

If I’m seen out and about; which happens, then fine. I just tell the story of taking one of my cars in part ex against my old boat and that generally shuts them up in total bewilderment!!!

12. VAF84

VAF84 Formula 3

I have a similar issue. Back in Austin, in the neighborhood I would consider my "primary residence" the car seems out of place since it's just an average nice, middle class neighborhood. However, my dad said he's seen a 458 tucked away in there somewhere and a C8 Vette. Since I'm in a cul-de-sac there, I don't mind letting the car linger outside for brief periods or do stuff with the garage door open in the garage, but I try to cruise in and out quietly/discreetly. The hard part is a cold start with the valves unplugged and aftermarket headers; it's very loud. It's harder where I'm at now since I have to sneak in and out of the apartment complex we've been staying in during my current project in Louisiana. It will be even harder when we move to the small town pop 8,000 or so town in Kentucky the next few months for another project; but I plan to drive it to Bowling Green for a track day when I find time.

I've shut down all of my social media, so nothing there. I never mention it to acquaintances. Only two people I've worked with at my client's company know about my car, but both field guys, and no one in my department or the corporate office including my bosses. My (decades long) best friends know I own the F430, but they've known how passionate I've been about cars my whole life, so they were pretty excited for me to accomplish a dream of mine (at least they appeared to be).

At the end of the day, if there are any doubts about the person's reaction, or if I think it will impact my work prospects, I just won't bring it up. If I have true friends (not acquaintances) who will dislike me because I bought myself a nice sports car, well quite frankly I don't consider them friends.

13. willrace

willrace Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    From a different, but very relevant thread in 2014:
    This still holds true.

iMrMark, JOEV and Dave Bertrand like this.
  14. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    I get this....until 9 years ago, we lived in a lower middle class neighborhood where the average house price was just over $100k. Even though I had the money, I knew I couldn’t bring an exotic into those surroundings. One of the reasons we moved across the city.

I’ve kept my Lamborghini a secret from co-workers, when I bought my Ford GT last year a few people at work knew and I was planning on driving it to work occasionally when we get called back in, but a year later I’m rethinking that.

15. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    I think the best part with the Ford GT is if people ask what kind of car you own you can just reply with "a Ford." And if they persist you cay say "coupe" and if they keep going at it you can say " GT coupe" and they may think you mean Mustang lol.

edit: and the Ford key fob will prove it. :)

16. craze

craze Formula 3

Mar 5, 2021
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I didnt even tell my parents

Unfortunately the judgement can be negative

Even a few people that did know reacted negatively when in a bad mood
    Somehow owning a ferrari they think i dont goto work any more or have any money worries

Only a couple of people were truely happy and they are the ones that choose other things in life
    Many people could own a ferrari but choose not too as its not a priority
    They assume because you have one you must have owned everything else as well lol

Thecadster, VAF84, alex and 1 other person like this.
  17. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    The best part of the Ford GT is the way it drives.

I don’t know if a Ford oval on the bumper would be enough to get my comfort level where it would need to be to put it in a parking garage where break ins occur every now and then.

BMW.SauberF1Team likes this.
  18. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I've found it's best not to ever bring it up.

:)

IloveGT likes this.
  19. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    Sad that so many of you can’t share your passion with others. I certainly don’t brag about anything I own but I run the local Cars and Coffee so I bring my Ferrari to the event. At least here I have never had any negative comments, not saying people haven’t said them I just don’t know about it. I am super nice to everyone I meet and my CNC includes all makes and models. Young people have to get into the hobby and if that means they drive their souped up Honda Civic so be it.

I am sure many, many people including my friends and family have those thoughts of jealousy and envy, but again I haven’t heard it directly. Bottom line is you earned your success so enjoy it, don’t hide in the garage.

AandSC, tres55, VAF84 and 3 others like this.
  20. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    I don't hide it. I grew up poor and have both eaten a ton of s*** and kick asses to get where I'm at... I guess you could say I have nouveau riche or 'ghetto rich' tendancies.

The Ferrari group has been awesome to me, in at least 8 different cities, and one of the things that I focus on is being a courteous brand ambassador. I always think that I might be the first Ferrari owner a person meets. Last weekend at cars and coffee I let a 12 yr old Caribbean kid (dad was from Trinidad/Tobago, I'm guessing by his name and accent), sit in the F12, start it and rev it a little while his dad filmed it. Blew his mind and the dad kept shaking my hand in gratitude. I've done that with all of the cars, including a circuit of taking my friends and their kids, and anyone who asks, for a ride.

21. JohnnyRay

JohnnyRay F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2014
    Central FL/NW WI
    Every one who knows me knows that I have a collection. I've had one since my early 20s and swapped out dozens of interesting vehicles over the decades. I just don't advertise to strangers...or state how many I actually have. Fortunately, none are cars generally associated with perceived snob appeal - and all are uniquely interesting to share history and attributes with those who ask when I have them out and about.

I do have one life-long friend who often states that I have more money than our savior (not true) because of what I have. :) Recently, we were touring new waterfront builds in the area and he confided that he wished he had made better choices so that he could invest in something like that and also and have a few nice things. I told him that he still could do that moving forward, but I believe the advice fell on deaf ears...

Texas Forever, tres55 and VAF84 like this.
  22. Spezia

Spezia Karting

Dec 15, 2019
    Full Name:
    John Weires
    I don't advertise (other than my participation in Porsche and Ferrari forums) that I have premium cars.
    But trying to keep them secret from neighbors and their gossip is futile if you drive them or wash them in the driveway.
    I'm always willing to have a conversation with a car enthusiast if they choose to initiate it.
    I keep them locked in a garage and insured against loss. I really don't worry about it.
    I'm more concerned about other more portable items being taken from my house.

Texas Forever, 020147 and Thomas S. like this.
  23. Admiral Goodwrench

Admiral Goodwrench Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2005
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Robert Phillips
    My case is obviously different. My "collection" was one car. After 2008 Pebble Beach results, over a million views of Petrolicious and Jay Leno videos, there was no way to keep my car hidden. It was very well known so I really did not expect it to be stolen for other than a joy ride situation, and as a result it was in an alarmed garage located behind a locked gate in a six foot CMU wall and a commercial steel roller door and a solid four inch square post embedded in concrete blocking the center exit of the garage. I did have a great time at numerous car shows answering questions from car enthusiasts about this early four cylinder Ferrari racer, enjoyed sharing the story of this car.

Best regards,

Robert

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Atlantic, halr75, Jeffg11 and 13 others like this.
  24. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    And Robert, were the guard towers manned with semi or fully automatic weapons. :D:D:D

25. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    Anyone who would treat me different because of it is not worthy of being in my circle.