Sea Fury down | FerrariChat

Sea Fury down

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by GrigioGuy, Apr 28, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    "Navy Wings’ Sea Fury T.20 made a precautionary forced landing in a field next to RNAS Yeovilton following a problem with the engine on a routine training flight this afternoon. Both pilots are safe and well and have been taken to Yeovil district Hospital for a precautionary check-up. The cause is under investigation and both the CAA and Air Accident Investigation Branch have been informed. No further information is available at this time"

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    That's too bad, looks like a really hard landing. Glad that the crew is relatively okay.

3. zygomatic

zygomatic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Looks like the motor wasn't turning during the landing

4. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Parts have got to be really hard to find for those Tempest II/ Sea Fury Centaurus engines.

5. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #5 Rifledriver, Apr 29, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2021
    Maybe, maybe not. They made a bunch of them and were operated well into the jet age. Quite a few of the airframes here have been converted to Wright or PW power, mostly 3350 I think because they are better and cheaper and not nearly as Rube Goldberg. Rebuilding a Centaurus has to be madly expensive.

https://www.enginelabs.com/news/video-sleeve-valves-in-action/

6. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Isn't "precautionary forced landing" a contradiction? An early landing is either precautionary or forced, not both?

All the best,
    Andrew.

tantumaude and NYC Fred like this.
  7. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

Agreed. The words are at odds with each other.

Not sure anymore if a working knowledge of the English language is a prereq for either journalism school or a job in journalism.

I once had an editor with a similar grasp of the language.

8. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I think that it was a precautionary landing because when the engine quits, any fool would take the precaution to try put the airplane down someplace before it drops out of the sky. I grew up with the term "Forced Landing". Now we hear things like "unplanned" or " off-airport" . I really don't know where "precautionary landing" came from. I can understand to take the precaution of NOT taking off. You are "spot landing" on.

9. NeuroBeaker

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I heard precautionary landing was when you still had power and were picking your earliest opportunity to land due to a perceived reliability problem that might get worse, so you were aiming for first airfield or first field because it was better than trying to make it over a forest or lake, for example, where the landing would definitely be a crash if you didn't clear it.

Forced landing was described to me as a loss of power or control that meant you had to land immediately, because whatever you were landing on with some airspeed/control was better than an uncontrolled crash that would probably kill everyone on board.

I don't know if those are the widely accepted definitions, but that's what I heard at our local airport.

All the best,
    Andrew.

jcurry and Ferrari_250tdf like this.
  10. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I agree with your assessments. I have to retract my statements a bit because I had to perform a precautionary landing when my engine didn't seem right on take off and I decided to stay in the pattern and land. It turned out that it had a burned valve and was losing power. If I had continued, my landing would have been a forced landing and not a precautionary landing. So, I stand corrected and, again, you are correct.

11. NeuroBeaker

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I don't know for certain, I'm just relaxing what I hear at the local airport where my Dad keeps his aircraft.

I think you were astute with the best precautionary measure being to opt not to take off if there are any doubts. :)

All the best,
    Andrew.

12. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Kahuku / Cottonwood / Prescott
    Full Name:
    Will
    Not really at odds at all if you’ve ever flown with the brits. Single engine fighters fly PFLs all the time...Practice Forced Landings. The Forced Landing is really just an engine out overhead typically starting at a high key and flown through other “key” altitude, airspeed, and configuration hoops to get you on the ground when your engine’s gone tits up. A precautionary forced landing simply means they flew that procedure to a field anticipating possible engine loss at any time. For many pilots, every pattern is a PFL from some point in the pattern.

Bob Parks and NeuroBeaker like this.
  13. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Sadly many pilots make an art form of flying jet size patterns in a Cessna 150.

Hannibal308 and Bob Parks like this.
  14. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    ha, if they were taking downwind long just turn at the numbers inside them. :D I had my most fun downwind to final, not only fun, but good practice engine out. small planes downwind to base to final you should always be able to make the airport.

jcurry and donv like this.
  15. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    We had an on-going fight with the spam-canners at the late Bellevue airport. I had a near head-on collision with a 182 when I was about a mile west from the downwind and about to make the turn to enter downwind traffic. My son yelled when he spotted the dark airplane emerge from the dark colored hills ahead. I had to dump it to avoid him. I entered traffic properly and as I turned on base I could see him way out on final so I continued to make a landing. When I was trying down my airplane he came roaring over to chew me out for "cutting him of". The pattern layout was in the office and even though he was at least a mile too far out for the downwind he claimed that it was HIS way to fly the pattern. The big money people didn't change until there was a physical altercation and overwhelming pressure from the rest of us and the field owner.

16. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    That's the way I was taught to fly the pattern

rob lay likes this.
  17. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I may have mentioned it before but I will again. The Cessna and Beechcraft guys figured that our little airplanes would be a good way to build up cheaper flying hours to log. They bought a pretty little Taylorcraft (BC12 ?) tail dragger and began to fly it, or try to fly it. All of their nose dragger time had not prepared them to fly a tail dragger and that little airplane lasted about 10 days until somebody lost on take off and hit the FBO's office. We didn't hear much from them after that.