Canadian GP Canceled for 2021... | FerrariChat

Canadian GP Canceled for 2021...

Discussion in 'F1' started by spirot, Apr 28, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    Just read that the GP has been canceled again for 2021 but deal extended to 2030 to compensate. Read it on a French F-1 site...

375+ likes this.
  2. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Turkey will now replace it most likely or so the press is indicating.

3. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Canada doesn't allow US citizens into their country right now. This would have been a financial disaster. No surprise.

jcurry likes this.
  4. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

F1 official data - https://www.formula1.com/en

We can today confirm that the Formula 1 Heineken Grand Prix Du Canada 2021 will be replaced by The Turkish Grand Prix this season between 11th – 13th June 2021.

We are delighted that Turkey will re-join the calendar this season on the 11th -13th June after an incredible race in 2020 and the whole of the Formula 1 community and fans will be looking forward to another exciting and dramatic race.

5. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales

6. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

greg328 likes this.
  7. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    We had Champions Club with F1 Experiences carried over from the canceled 2020 China GP. Disappointed, but worse case would have been keeping the race and allowing Americans, but headaches like vaccine requirement and/or long quarantines. F1 Experiences would have probably said that's your problem and not refund, now they'll move to another race. Should I do USA or Mexico?

8. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    COTA tickets are on sale already...fyi.

Manda racing, Jakuzzi and rob lay like this.
  9. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Of course I won't have to tell you about COTA. As for Mexico, while I haven't been to the race, I did a bit of a reconnaissance on my last Mexico City trip: There are two hotels right at the airport and that's about as close as you get to the track (there are other hotels as well of course). There is a subway that goes directly from the airport for a few stations to the entrance of the track. So getting to and from is dead easy. I think the venue is spectacular, especially the baseball stadium.

As for this year I managed to get a hotel in downtown Austin. Remember how ridiculous the hotels used to be by blocking any reservations downtown thinking they can sell a package deal? Well, with the pandemic they're much more accomodating. So I'm looking forward to be smack downtown for once.

10. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Where?

Formula1.com doesn't have them on sale yet.

11. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    COTA website.

Jakuzzi likes this.
  12. nsxrebel

nsxrebel Formula 3

Jan 8, 2004

That’s racist and xenophobic

tifosi12 likes this.
  13. JOEA2

JOEA2 Formula 3

Feb 2, 2006
    Staten Island, N.Y./ Sea Girt,N.J.
    Full Name:
    Joe A
    I am waiting for them to give me my money back from last year!

Joe

Manda racing likes this.
  14. Jakuzzi

Jakuzzi Formula 3

Mar 26, 2005
    PR, TX, GV
    Full Name:
    Jaime
    True, but I will wait until two weeks before the race to buy. Only a couple hours drive from the RGV area, and have relatives the live in Austin!!!! I will not have to pay 300-400 per night at a Motel.... :)

jgonzalesm6 likes this.
  15. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    A shame...Canada tends to make for a great race!

Manda racing, greg328 and jpalmito like this.
  16. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    They have to figure something out in a month or the Canadian teams in the NHL will have to play all their Stanley Cup games in America -- even if most of the players are vaccinated.

17. schumacherf2006

schumacherf2006 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2010
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Too bad, I really enjoy this race

18. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    In the racing section?

Honestly.

Alexweav79 likes this.
  19. Jakuzzi

Jakuzzi Formula 3

Mar 26, 2005
    PR, TX, GV
    Full Name:
    Jaime
    So true. A great city, great people and ambiance and lovely racetrack! :)

Manda racing and jpalmito like this.
  20. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    COVIDaholic !!

21. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I used to like the Canadian GP, but the last time I was there I was disappointed at how limited the viewing was... you used to be able to see the track from a bunch of different view points... even the Paddock club was not that great... they need to open up the general viewing areas so you can walk the track and see different corners.

rob lay likes this.
  22. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Canadian GP has been notoriously bad in how they handle the traffic of the public: They basically cut the island in half and depending on where your seats are at you cannot go to the other parts of the track. Really annoying. Once I learned that the hard way I bought tickets for both halves so I can freely walk around. Also if you have the paddock ticket you can visit the pits of the support races (used to be open to the general public but no more).

23. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I just did Montreal in 2007-2008. It was great though, European feel without paying more. Top notch French food in town. I loved the atmosphere, liked the race seating T1-2. Challenge races you could move around different corners pretty good. Also liked after the race able to walk the entire F1 course.

Manda racing and tifosi12 like this.
  24. Townshend

Townshend F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 20, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Walter
    One of my favorite F1 races I've been to (others were British, Brazil, Austin, Abu Dhabi, Monaco). I thought Montreal did a superb job having ancillary activities going on alongside F1 weekend, it really was a complete event. I really didn't feel the same way about some of the others (British which is in the middle of nowhere, Austin which can be a fun town anyway though, or Sao Paulo). Also the dinner I had at Le Club Chasse et Pêche was phenominal.

25. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    Me too. A group of 8 of us were going to attend the 2020 race, which of course was cancelled. In July they offered to keep your seats for the 2021 race, or let you request a 100% refund, which would be processed within 90 days. We chose the refund. In October (90 days later), I got an email saying they would start processing refunds soon. Crickets. I wrote them December and again in early March, and both times received a reply stating that they would be starting to process refunds soon. Still nothing, and nobody in F1 seems to be publicizing that the organizers of the Montreal race have pretty much stolen the funds from the 2020 seat sales.

Further, many of the Montreal hotels refused to refund pre-paid non-refundable reservations for the Grand Prix Weekend. In our case, we had all reserved at the Best Western Downtown Montreal hotel. As the pandemic grew and cancellations of everything were happening, Best Western announced a corporate policy that all pre-paid and non-refundable reservations would be refunded due to pandemic cancellations. Great, except BW is a franchise organization, and the fine print said that individual hotels may not provide refunds at their discretion. The Montreal BW decided that they would not refund pre-paid reservations because that weekend was a high demand weekend. Huh? Every event creating demand on the weekend, eg the F1 race, was cancelled, there was zero hotel demand in Montreal in June 2020. The greedy bastard owners just decided they would keep the jacked up rate reservation funds anyway, because the fine print said they could if they wanted. Best Western corporate would do nothing to pressure them to honour the corporate Covid-19 policy, so they got away with it - for one year, anyway. Several other Montreal hotels also refused to provide refunds.

Between the fake refund promises from the race organizers, and the ignorant short-sighted refusal to refund of the hotels, it will be ... well, NEVER, before I attend the Montreal F1 race again. I've attended it 4 times previously, and have attended F1 races in Austin, Silverstone, Monza - I'll go to Austin or a race in Europe long before Montreal gets another nickel from me.

Breaking news today - Montreal F1 race organizing crooks Octane Management have been acquired by Bell Media, the largest telecommunications and sports entertainment group in Canada. They are promising to honour tickets for 2022 or provide refunds. That would be nice, and they may actually be honest enough to follow through, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

https://canoe.com/news/local-news/bell-acquires-montreal-grand-prix-promoter-octane/wcm/a31b4703-e45d-4eb0-849e-a79453ac4722

"Bell said it will ensure that tickets sold for the 2020 race are valid for the 2022 Canadian Grand Prix, or ticket holders will be refunded if they prefer that option."
    Cheers,
    Gordon