355 - Recent engine out experience in NJ? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

355 Recent engine out experience in NJ?

Discussion in '348/355' started by Sancho22, Jan 7, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    I believe he is just responding to the first post

"
    I have another shop much closer to me, also highly praised by a few reviews from a few years ago.
    However, I am not too happy with the shops attitude. My 95 2.7 Spyder needs a fair amount of work likely into 5 figures and I literally have to beg to get in for service and the owner is really unpleasant to deal with."

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

2. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
  3. Sancho22

Sancho22 Karting

Oct 24, 2018
    Northern New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Laszlo Szanka
    Well seven weeks after delivering the car I finally have an estimate which is astronomical.
    Just out of curiosity what you guys think about the time needed to swap the 355 steering wheel for the 348 factory one?
    Adapter and 348 steering wheel provided, resistor for the 355 airbag plug provided.

4. 76Steel

76Steel Formula 3

Sep 8, 2007
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Mike
    They kept your car for 7 weeks and did the work during that time, or did you just get an estimate? Were they clear what they were charging? Please keep us posted because this info comes handy when choosing shops.

Lastly, if you really want to help the Forum and perhaps yourself - share some prices/hours billed. You don’t want to be paying out of you a$$ for overinflated bills, if it applies.

5. Sancho22

Sancho22 Karting

Oct 24, 2018
    Northern New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Laszlo Szanka
    Well each story has two sides and needs context. As it happens many times some misunderstanding regarding timing as well as COVID related parts supply issues had a critical role to play. Several cars scheduled before mine got delayed. It is all OK - the only issue I had with this situation that I had to reach out and follow-up, there was no proactive information coming and letting me know what was happening.

After we spoke live I think things are moving well. As some stated earlier Fonz is very knowledgeable, willing to walk you the details and offer the needed context. For example we decided not to replace the rotors as they will likely last another ~2 years. After thorough inspection it also turned out the car needs additional work/parts which were not in the "plan". Some hoses, brake lines etc are way too old (even original 1995) and started corroding from the inside.
    Brake pads, CV joints, full engine out, mounting of new Tube headers, 348 steering wheel and many more...

The 45 hours for the full engine out, inspection etc. looks to be in line with the range I have found on Chat and other sites (35-55 hours).

If you want more detail please PM me.

6. 76Steel

76Steel Formula 3

Sep 8, 2007
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Hi Laszlo,

If you are happy then all good. If you are doing new headers, lines, hoses of course the bill will add up. It's funny to hear that at this stage there are "savings" of not replacing rotors. Just make sure you get all items itemized and stay on top of the work.

7. Sancho22

Sancho22 Karting

Oct 24, 2018
    Northern New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Laszlo Szanka
    Yeah I got all the details down to a washer
    Also link to a ton of pictures as the work progresses
    Conveniently I also got a simple link to provide payment (for parts only)
    So all in all a lot is going well

8. Sancho22

Sancho22 Karting

Oct 24, 2018
    Northern New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Laszlo Szanka
    I mentioned the rotors as I be of the things we decided not to do - most everything else is happening

9. Sancho22

Sancho22 Karting

Oct 24, 2018
    Northern New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Laszlo Szanka
    Quick update - the rotors and the parking brake were also done this week. The top was converted to manual.
    Oil change. Looks like most of the things are all done. Back to driving.
    Wish everyone Happy Passover, Easter and Ramadan!

10. ChoonHound

ChoonHound Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 13, 2022
    Saint Michaels, MD
    Full Name:
    Lucas
    That update was 2 years in the making! How’d you get your Ferrari serviced so fast!

Sancho22 likes this.