Transaxle Flushing | FerrariChat

Transaxle Flushing

Discussion in '360/430' started by lkstaack, Apr 26, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. lkstaack

lkstaack Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2020
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Lars
    Is there a definitive method for flushing out the transaxle to eliminate water contamination? I've heard of people using ATF for the first few miles, cheap 90 weight, or just what you usually use. I've heard people speculate that Sea Foam might help, or a few ounces of general purpose cleaner. I've heard of people draining oil without running any miles, 50 miles, and 100 miles. I'd like to hear the opinions of people who really understand transaxles.

I'm one of the lucky ones with a bad heat exchanger that allowed a little water into the transaxle. The oil was still thick when cold, but milky. The transmission filter had tiny bits that looked like sand; it really looked like it had been dropped on the ground. I wonder if it was bits of synchro, bearing, or manufacturing residue?

2. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    I would do many flushes w cheap trans gear oil.. of proper spec.

I would run through gears w no load before each flush... monitor cond of each fluid dump to watch your progress.

NMNMNMN likes this.
  3. Extreme1

Extreme1 Formula 3

Jun 27, 2017
    Santa Clarita, CA
    I wouldn’t use ATF, or Seafoam. Use what normally goes in your gearbox, probably 75-90. It’s cheap and Walmart.com will deliver it to your door the next day.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

4. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    They use ATF because it is high detergent so helps break up the goo. They don't drive around under load because it won't protect the transaxle (not thick enough) but it is fine to run it through the gears like One4torque said. After that you have multiple flushes with gear oil. Then drive it a while and change again. It is very messy but can be cleaned out.

5. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    I’ve used atf in a high mileage bimmer motor that was gunked up very bad—. I put just 1 quart in and let the engine get up to op temp... then drained the mixture out. I only did this since the motor was close to 200k miles and I had a swap ls on deck. The motor picked up power.., for a while.. the vanos operated better... but oil consumption continued or worsened w each track session. I’m too chicken to try this on a f car.

I realize the diff trans is a diff app than the engine.

gl

6. RANDY6005

RANDY6005 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 9, 2017
    Jacksonville
    Full Name:
    RANDY
    I just posted on my 360 Conversation tread a couple weeks ago about just that .

Had heat exchanger fail with in week after buying ,what made even worst I took it to Orlando Ferrari before I ever drove it SPENT over 15000.00 grand to make sure every thing was perfect after they delivered it. I took it out that night and then it failed with 20 miles.

They pick back up and another 5000.00 they said they replace exchanger and flushed gear box stated on service ticket
    10 times
    After that spent year at the paint shop for CS conversation, drove it 100 mile or less just wanted to make sure gear box was all clean, drain gear box and it was BLACK and thick.

Ran ATF threw three times on the lift so no load on gear box drain and replaced gear box oil drove it far a day and still not clear and clean . Have good friend owns a transmission shop, they flush there transmission mineral spirits gave me a good ideal .
    Bought two gallons of mineral spirits, and a aquarium aerator pump, put just under a gallon mineral spirits and for a couple of days ran pump
    while moving clear tube back and forth inside the gear box.

Change out old mineral spirits with new and repeated NOW !! Crystal clear .
    My buddy that owns the transmission shop ask that I get the ideal from YouTube ? nope came up with that one on my own, sure there some one else has done this before..

7. Topace

Topace Karting

Apr 2, 2021
    Omaha ne
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Not shore how it would work in a trans but in the big semi motors we use a little bit of Diesel in the oil 1/2 gallon in 12 gallons of oil. Let it run for about 10 mins then change it. I got one truck with 1.7 million miles and the oil still clear even after 12,000 miles on the oil change. Same truck cracked injection cup and was leaking in the oil. Run about 10k with the leak. The driver was draining oil out said it was filling up ya with diesel fuel. That happen 400k ago and trucks still fine. Not ur average truck on top of that it’s 700hp I think 2700 torque I have to find the Dino remember. I built two of them and both over 1.5 million miles. But if u want to stay on the safe side I would say Hot Shot’s Secret Stiction Eliminator I have run this and it works.

NMNMNMN likes this.
  8. 360+Volt=Prius

360+Volt=Prius Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2013
    Western Mass
    Full Name:
    Raimondo
    I’ve pondered this issue for a few years. My thinking is this. It is total conjecture.

The problem is water in the gear oil I presume forms an emulsion (the foamy stuff).

Add water (the definition of hydrophilic) to gasoline (hydrophobic). The solution is dry gas aka alcohol. Infinitely missable in water and gasoline.

If this happened to me I would probably experiment with the crud that comes out of the gearbox by using alcohol, maybe combined with atf and see if this quickens the process). Multiple flushes (10!) seems like there must be an easier way.

I tried to create that crud by combining gear oil and coolant, with heating and whipping. Couldn’t do it in my “home lab.”

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

9. lkstaack

lkstaack Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2020
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Lars
    As you alluded to, there are various severities of contamination. RANDY6005 describes his contaminated oil as black and thick. Others as foamy or thick. I've seen a video of a green coolant coming out of a transaxle. Mine had the consistency and smell of gear oil, but with streaks of a milky color. My hope is that the car wasn't driven much in this condition.

I would imagine that the severity of the contamination would influence the method of flushing it out. Since mine isn't that bad, I'll probably add a quart of ATF with 2 quarts of regular gear oil and run it on jack stands until warm. Flush that out with cheap gear oil once on the stands, flush, and then drive 50 miles with cheap oil. If that comes out clean, I'll use my regular oil.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

RANDY6005 and Topace like this.
  10. 360+Volt=Prius

360+Volt=Prius Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2013
    Western Mass
    Full Name:
    Raimondo
    I definitely agree that there are various presentations of the crud.

I have zero real world experience with this problem.

My point was adding only atf oil to rid the box of water may not be the most efficient choice as the water may not mix well with atf so the extraction of residual water from box innards won’t be very efficient.

11. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    After some quick Internet research another common rec is to drain replace the fluid again after a few hundred miles.

12. lkstaack

lkstaack Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2020
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Lars
    Yes, I see. Perhaps adding a pint of isopropyl?

Sent from my SM-G781U using FerrariChat.com mobile app

13. 360+Volt=Prius

360+Volt=Prius Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2013
    Western Mass
    Full Name:
    Raimondo
    That’s my thinking. But How much is the question.

100%?
    just a pint?
    ... somewhere between?

That’s why I tried to reproduce that crud to test different solutions, but I failed.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat