Getting an imported vehicle titled in Texas | FerrariChat

Getting an imported vehicle titled in Texas

Discussion in 'Texas' started by carguyjohn350, Apr 28, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. carguyjohn350

carguyjohn350 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    John P
    I have a friend who is a probate and estate attorney. She asked me this question because she knew I was into cars and I'm hoping maybe one of us has some advice for her.

She has a client who is the executor of the will of a person who died who (prior to death) imported a vehicle (a 1965 Ford of some kind she thinks) from Mexico into Texas. Its sitting in Houston with no title. They want to get it titled. Any advice or any referrals to an attorney or anyone else who might work in this area?

2. PMiranda

PMiranda Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2004
    Austin, TX
    If she can find the customs form (currently it's a DOT HS-7 or CBP-7501) from the original import then she can probably just take that and a notarized VTR-262 (affidavit of heirship) to the county to fill out a standard 130-U (title and registration application) and get the title and registration all in one go. If the customs form is not around anymore, I have no idea what to do.
    [edit] Oh, and she'll need proof of liability insurance of course!

SAFE4NOW and carguyjohn350 like this.
  3. carguyjohn350

carguyjohn350 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    John P
    Thank you!

4. innerloop

innerloop Formula Junior

Jan 17, 2010
    Houston Heights, TX
    They'll also need the form from the inspection station when it passes inspection. I think that it's a green form.

carguyjohn350 likes this.
  5. westextifosi

westextifosi Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 20, 2009
    Lubbock, TX
    Full Name:
    Tex Timberlake
    I don't know whether this is true in all Texas counties, but here in West Texas the vehicle has to be inspected by our Auto Theft Task Force, which is an offshoot of the Texas Department of Public Safety.
    These guys go over the car with a fine-toothed comb looking for discrepancies in number stampings compared to customs forms/the foreign title, etc.
    Also, if one just wants to transfer title, but not register the car for the road, the State inspection is not needed.

6. M. Brandon Motorcars

Sponsor

Sep 4, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Michael Foertsch
  7. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    Maybe another than Harris County would help?

Just FYI - getting a passport processed in Pinehurst (Montgomery County - but very small) took minutes vs. Tomball (Harris County). A ten minute drive, but it saved hours.

No idea if there is a correlating body, but Harris County seems like anything would take longer and be more drawn out. The largest population for any county next to a major port is Harris County. I can only imagine what comes through the Houston Ship Channel that would bog things down.

Shawn

8. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    Driver Source in Houston handled the licensing and registration of all the cars i imported.
    they do this stuff every week and are experts.
    may cost you a little but, but they do all the leg work and it gets done pronto.
    call Steve Ott and tell him i sent you.

carguyjohn350 and BigTex like this.
  9. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    #9 BigTex, Apr 30, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2021
    Its no longer colored paper, it's digital, but this is true.

A State Inspection is the first step, and then once done take your paperwork down to the County Tax Office.

See how it rolls.....

10. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Harris County would not recognize my first 5 digit VIN car, so HPD Auto Theft helpfully inspected it (Vin confirmation and no Stolen Car hit) , and called the Tax Office, and things got settled, took about three days..After that the other two went smotther because they could see my ownership of the others...

11. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Ella Blvd Motors on West 34th Street also provides Estate/Probate/Title services, and a Bonded Title is always an option as I understand them...

12. PMiranda

PMiranda Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2004
    Austin, TX
    I thought you were required to register in your county of residence?
    Sorry I didn't know about the extra Harris county stuff, it's news to me. I should have remembered inspection, it's on my to-do list.