NEW MID ENGINED V6 (LITTLE BROTHER) | Page 77 | FerrariChat

NEW MID ENGINED V6 (LITTLE BROTHER)

Discussion in '296' started by ajr550, Feb 28, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    For the past 30 years they've never released a brand new chassis with both versions at the same time
    Historically a spider usually comes 18 to 24 moths later But for the SF90 the time frame was a lot shorter
    So maybe LB spider will come after the same time gap

Senshi458 and Senna1994 like this.
  2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    I doubt first US spiders would arrive before MY2024

Senna1994 likes this.
  3. rxbg

rxbg Karting

Apr 11, 2010
    USA
    Keyser- i agree with the above. at best case probably a few months later. if it gets intro'd this summer and order go live then the first deliveries for the coupe would be in Q1 2022 imo.

this would be my first F car. i just need to see the design and spec to make a final decision. the exterior looks to be more curvaceous and better balanced than the exercise-wedge shape of the F8. my gut feeling is that the interior tech on this car- dashboard, infotainment, probably over the air updates will be phenomenal. if they can make this thing rev to 9 k that V6 might just be able to make some nice music. and if the MC20 can make 620 hp F will not be left behind.

4. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    In Europe the 488 spider was actually available less than 6 months after the GTB (September 2015 for the GTB, Q1 2016 for the spider)... it was not a brand new platform though.

5. Keysersose

Keysersose Rookie

May 31, 2019
    Full Name:
    John W
    I'm too old to wait another 18 months - this car will be in Florida replacing a 458 Spider - a convertible is a must for me.. They really should offer both options on a launch - even in cold climates, I want a spider because the car doesnt get driven in the winter months. I have an SF90 coupe coming hopefully by the end of June, so I'll wait for that to decide between the F8 and SF90 Spider.

6. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    At least you got a SF90 to play with while waiting for your choice of spider :p

7. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

I’m not sure where it will position itself but seems that the v6 will be under the tributo as I read it, even if they are stopping next year the tributo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. SVR

SVR Karting

Feb 9, 2017
    Moscow, Russia
    It’s f8 successor, and it will be much faster, IMHO.
    458-488-f8 very old platform.
    It has evolved, but the foundations of architecture, basic engineering solutions are very old. But even of them, Ferrari made a phenomenally fast Pista, which imposed a fight on the 720th.
    Now that Ferrari is making a completely new platform from zero, they are obliged to make a very fast car that will definitely be faster than its predecessor. Competition from McLaren and Maserati, which did not exist before, should also push to the result.

Ale55andr0 and LVP488 like this.
  9. Natkingcolebasket69

My dealer disagrees lol

Senna1994 likes this.
  10. red passion

red passion Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2012
    Hockenheim, Germany
    With both, Maserati and McLaren using carbon tubs for their mid-engine models, the Ferrari offering feels very uninspiring in this regard to me. Let's hope competition really pushs them to go carbon for the mid-engine models within the next couple of years.

11. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    They aren’t going carbon anytime soon. Sf90 was the perfect opportunity to swap. Didn’t happen. It’s a shame.

red passion, mdrums, dustman and 3 others like this.
  12. SVR

SVR Karting

Feb 9, 2017
    Moscow, Russia
    He just want to sell all F8.

we all hope, but we all know it won't. But carbon is only one component, there are many others in the car, and we know how good Ferrari are in motors, or emotions. There is every chance of making a great car without carbon tube. It is only a means, not an end.
    Although Artura turned out very well.

Doug23 likes this.
  13. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Saw the Artura in person. I think they have a winner on their hands with that car. Time will tell.

adall and Shack like this.
  14. Natkingcolebasket69

I saw it but rather have a used 720s for that price which is faster .
    When can one order the LB?

15. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Better in person? Videos, not so much.

16. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Yeah- looks very good in real life. Hated the pics and video of it

Senna1994 likes this.
  17. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Don’t disagree.

18. red passion

Mar 4, 2012
    Hockenheim, Germany
    Sure a carbon tub is only part of the whole car. IMO Ferrari should be the pinnacle though and the tub is a major element of the car. There is an objective and a subjective element why IMO a carbon is a must for a mid-engine Ferrari. The objective one is obvious, looking at all top category racing series or any hyper car it clearly shows that a carbon tub is the only valid choice for performance reasons. Sure, one can argue that not all carbons are the same and that the more cost efficient way of producing the tubs like McLaren does, doesn't provide that much difference to an advanced aluminium structure. Nevertheless McLarens are considerably lighter and have higher rigidity than the Ferrari counterparts. Plus Maserati with the MC20 (prior to that Alfa with the 4C) and Dallara with the Stradale show that even the labour extensive way of CF production can be approached on cars that sit below the upcoming LB.
    On a more subjective level, sitting in carbon tub just feels so much more exciting, it shouts race car, whereas sitting in an alu chassis doesn't give me the emotional excitement. The latter doesn't really feel exotic, even though materials might be advanced, it's not visible. As buying a Ferrari is an emotional thing, I find it quite odd to argue that the alu chassis is good enough because it provides reasonable performance. A Ferrari shouldn't be reasonable.

Ale55andr0, SoCal to az and TR007 like this.
  19. tekaefixe

tekaefixe Formula 3

May 10, 2012
    CH
    Full Name:
    Paulo
    Yes but most Ferrari customers buy any crap Ferrari launches even if it’s an inferior product.
    And if you point this fact the answer is always: but it’s a Ferrari!
    Zero critical thinking that annoys me and anyone that really likes cars and appreciates technology and advancement in motoring.

20. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Zero critical thinking?
    I don’t think so.
    I don’t think Ferrari should be chasing internet racing bragging tournaments with the likes of McLaren, etc. In fact, I think quite critically it is destroying the brand. Cars are already too fast, they should be focusing on providing a unique experience in the automotive world, not to be the fastest of all the Lords of the Flies.
    Ferrari should, IMO, stand apart. Porsche’s GT division gets it.

adall, anishka, Senna1994 and 2 others like this.
  21. red passion

Mar 4, 2012
    Hockenheim, Germany
    Ferrari's brand strength is for sure the single biggest selling point for any Ferrari product. The Ferrari brand is a strategic asset for the company which they aim to leverage even further with non car related offerings going forward. The point of customers having too little critical thinking, because they buy everything as long as there is a Ferrari badge on the bonnet, is only partially true. The thing is, that the strength of the brand is not set in stone for ever, It's always a function of the past. Without investing in the brand and maintaining to offer the pinnacle and experience one expects from Ferrari, the brand strengths will start to decline ever so slightly. So even with its glorious brand, Ferrari still has to deliver. It's a long way to build up a strong brand, however it's easy to do the opposite.

22. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    The brand being a function of the past is true. I can’t think of one accessible Ferrari (not an icona or la ferrari replacement) that I’m dying to own. Not one. LB intrigues me but really not dying to own one. Not Roma. Not SUV. Not SF90. Not LB. zero.

I think many here feel the same.

cesman, Bhh, PMiranda and 3 others like this.
  23. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    Yes I agree. My F cars already surpass my skill and far surpass public roads. But I consider them glorious to drive! And wonderful to look at.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

fil, OKUGO, jm2 and 1 other person like this.
  24. red passion

Mar 4, 2012
    Hockenheim, Germany
    I would agree to that. The current line-up consists of nice cars, but nothing really that I lust after.

25. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    If I could afford a SP2 I would buy one in a heartbeat, same for the 812 GTS.